P500 I love my P520 but….

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
If they did, they wouldn't hesitate to give a 10 year belt warranty like Yamaha does.

But they don't.

Because they don't have the same belt durability as the Yamaha. The problem isn't the belt, either.
All of the Japanese machines have the same belt life...fantastic 👍. Warranty by Yamaha is marketing

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was a bit worried about the belt on my Yamaha but now that I have some miles on it, I can safely say I like it better than the electric shift on my 08 Honda Rancher. I can't say how it would compare to a dual clutch trans though.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I was a bit worried about the belt on my Yamaha but now that I have some miles on it, I can safely say I like it better than the electric shift on my 08 Honda Rancher. I can't say how it would compare to a dual clutch trans though.
I have my first Honda Pioneer 520. After decades of dirt bikes and dual sports I got my first ATV in 2008 and it was a Honda rancher so it had the shaft drive just like the pioneer.

In between those two machines of 2008 and 2021 I had six brand new Japanese ATVs. By far the CVT belt system is smooth predictable and totally dependable. Many of those dealers for Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki don't even stock the belts because it's just not something they sell.

The Honda shaft drive is fine but it is not as quiet and smooth as a belt and honestly I don't see why people make their decisions based on just this because it's a poor basis. There's a possibility that more power delivered to the rear end because it's a shaft drive but I highly doubt it that it's measurable or significant.

I love my Honda but the problem with the transmission jerkiness and noise (quite frankly to scare the s*** out of you sometimes) is annoying but tolerable.

I certainly wouldn't trade the machine based on that and I wouldn't buy it either based on that. How to make a great product as to do all the Japanese manufacturers.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I have pulled a lot of roots from the ground with my P5. Tried the same with a larger, more powerful Yamaha something-or-other (I forget what it was). It performed the task poorly (or not at all) and the burning smell was strong.
If your plan is to play or just ride around, I'm sure a belt is excellent. Not my first choice for a machine doing work though.
YMMV.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have pulled a lot of roots from the ground with my P5. Tried the same with a larger, more powerful Yamaha something-or-other (I forget what it was). It performed the task poorly (or not at all) and the burning smell was strong.
If your plan is to play or just ride around, I'm sure a belt is excellent. Not my first choice for a machine doing work though.
YMMV.
That's probably not good for either of them, I would just use my tractor for stuff like that.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
YMMV.
That makes sense. Excellent point

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
That's probably not good for either of them, I would just use my tractor for stuff like that.

I'm a 'use what I have' kind of guy. They were sapling roots, using a brush grubber. Point being: a very different set of results . . . I believe that to be instructive.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I'm a 'use what I have' kind of guy. They were sapling roots, using a brush grubber. Point being: a very different set of results . . . I believe that to be instructive.
Yeah sometimes you're in a situations where you're doing that with your machine not exactly yard work but it could be Trail work. The guy that made a tractor comment really missed the point

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The P5/P5.2 work prolly better than they play, arguably. If you're not needing to work with it any significant amount, you should at least consider other options (IMO, of course!). I do both with mine and love to ride tight trails in the woods, so it's ideal for me (with mods, of course!).

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
YMMV.
It was a 2010 Kawaski Teryx 750... Biggest Rolling piece of ****. When it did roll it was being towed by a P500. Had belt slippage doing some minor trail riding, nothing to strenuous and it would slip. We replaced the belt twice in the just over a year we owned it... Would never purchase one again.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
In the interest of full disclosure, I do realize the shortcomings of working a 500cc machine.

Therefore, this recently happened:

20211216 103248

20211216 144933

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had the first year Yamaha Rhino in 2004. I sold it to a friend in 2020. Had the OEM belt all those years. But, it was also never abused.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
That’s awesome Doc….👍

Reactions: TxDoc
M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have my first Honda Pioneer 520. After decades of dirt bikes and dual sports I got my first ATV in 2008 and it was a Honda rancher so it had the shaft drive just like the pioneer.

In between those two machines of 2008 and 2021 I had six brand new Japanese ATVs. By far the CVT belt system is smooth predictable and totally dependable. Many of those dealers for Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki don't even stock the belts because it's just not something they sell.

The Honda shaft drive is fine but it is not as quiet and smooth as a belt and honestly I don't see why people make their decisions based on just this because it's a poor basis. There's a possibility that more power delivered to the rear end because it's a shaft drive but I highly doubt it that it's measurable or significant.

I love my Honda but the problem with the transmission jerkiness and noise (quite frankly to scare the s*** out of you sometimes) is annoying but tolerable.

I certainly wouldn't trade the machine based on that and I wouldn't buy it either based on that. How to make a great product as to do all the Japanese manufacturers.
I replaced my 2005 Rhino with a P700-4 and yes the rhino was smoother as there was no real shifting but the P700 is MUCH quieter, belt driven machines have to rev much higher to do the same work/maintain same speed I have found. Ill never go back to a belt driven SXS again now that I have this machine.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced my 2005 Rhino with a P700-4 and yes the rhino was smoother as there was no real shifting but the P700 is MUCH quieter, belt driven machines have to rev much higher to do the same work/maintain same speed I have found. Ill never go back to a belt driven SXS again now that I have this machine.
I replaced my 2004 Yamaha Rhino with a my 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 LE. Nothing against the Rhino. Flawless, but the Pioneer is a step up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I had a 700FI Rhino that was a 65mph, way built, rocketship. Great machine that everyone around here misses and I do at times. A young fella that I met on a ride and rode with me for a while even wrote a paper for school about it. Grin on his face was priceless. No fault of the actual belt itself but lost a sheave bearing and had to hike home to fetch my Big Bear (5-speed,just sayin) to tow it home. Not fun solo and was the end of belt driven rigs for me. Stuff can fail but I feel like I can find a way to get a gear driven machine home. I also do a lot of technical slow speed stuff and I could get that thing in situations, even on only 25's, that would piss off the clutch and belt. Belts are fine for just about everyone and I live on a wheeler/sled trail and see 'em all the time. Just me. I've always dreamed of a gear driven snowsled.........

Reactions: KyGal83 and trigger
Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
some people that say a pioneer is jerky, drive a polaris and you'll see what jerkiness really is. once it gets rolling it's fine, but at take off or back up. wow! this is every polaris we've own and same with the old rhino.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!