P500 I Think I Need a Second Machine

T

tbachtell

Jul 26, 2019
Prescott, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
When my wife and I go riding we are normally alone. I am concerned that if we are 15 miles into the bush and have a mechanical (unlikely) failure and a medical emergency we would be in serious trouble.
Yesterday we rode with a friend with a CanAm bike; I actually felt more at ease.
I am considering a second machine but can't afford another P500 (there are NO used ones around here)
Any suggestions?
Get a Garmin in-reach mini. Allows text messaging. You can send a map and for serious problems, can send SOS for help.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When my wife and I go riding we are normally alone. I am concerned that if we are 15 miles into the bush and have a mechanical (unlikely) failure and a medical emergency we would be in serious trouble.
Yesterday we rode with a friend with a CanAm bike; I actually felt more at ease.
I am considering a second machine but can't afford another P500 (there are NO used ones around here)
Any suggestions?
I don't blame you for having some concern since it has also occurred to me. I have a P1000 which would allow me to probably load something in the bed if I were really going remote, but I really haven't had the opportunity to get too far into the hinterland. I will say that I prefer riding an ATV over the UTV, and an ATV would be cheaper and more available on the used market. I would love it if my wife would drive the UTV and I could ride an ATV. I have a '96 Honda Foreman which is not really a good trail machine since it's geared pretty low, but I'd love to use your concern as justification for me to get a new ATV. LOL

BTW, you certainly want to have what you need to repair a flat tire regardless of what and where you're driving (jack, repair kit, and a method to inflate the repaired tire), but I'm sure you have already planned on that. You might also ask a good Honda mechanic if there are any other frequent failure that you could repair on the trail.

Reactions: rtn001
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just ordered a new 50" MASSIMO UTV.

View attachment 153131

I'm having second thoughts about it and I can refuse delivery when it arrives without any financial loss.
The dealer, (TSC Canada) claims that it is 493cc engine that develops 25 hp; I suspect that is is only 400cc. If it is only a 400 will it have enough power to climb steep hills and ditches?

It apparently comes with windshield, roof, mirrors, dump box, and a 3500 lb winch.
I intend to use it for:
- daily driver in the winter when the plow is on my P500.
- allow us to take an experienced hunter with us when we go for a moose later this month.
- piece of mind; we will take both machines part of the way into the bush when we are exploring new territory. In the unlikely event that the P500 breaks down we will have a "Plan B" to get home.

The "out the door" price is $4,880.00 (US) not including sales tax. If I hate it after this winter I hope to be able to sell it without much of a loss.

Is this a stupid move on my part?
That’s quite a bit of money to drop on a machine you haven’t tested! And I would be willing to wager the P5 is going to be pulling your new purchase home in your plan B scenario above! Wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted on your thoughts on the new machine.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: tomcj2
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 153131

I'm having second thoughts about it and I can refuse delivery when it arrives without any financial loss.
The dealer, (TSC Canada) claims that it is 493cc engine that develops 25 hp; I suspect that is is only 400cc. If it is only a 400 will it have enough power to climb steep hills and ditches?

It apparently comes with windshield, roof, mirrors, dump box, and a 3500 lb winch.
I intend to use it for:
- allow us to take an experienced hunter with us when we go for a moose later this month.
- piece of mind; we will take both machines part of the way into the bush when we are exploring new territory. In the unlikely event that the P500 breaks down we will have a "Plan B" to get home.

The "out the door" price is $4,880.00 (US) not including sales tax. If I hate it after this winter I hope to be able to sell it without much of a loss.

I think you're right to be having second thoughts Tom. Not just because of the negative reviews either. There's a reason that they include so many accessories and are still so cheap. Let us know what you decide and best of luck. ;)

Reactions: Mudder and tomcj2
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
This machine is getting to be more of a mystery.
TSC(Canada) is having difficulty in telling me who makes it.
After several phone calls and web surfing I have been led to believe that MASSIMO may be made by :

- LINHAI
or - HISUN Motors
or- NEBULA Automotive

HISUN Motors has made several "brand name" ATV's in the past but won't confirm which ones.
If I can't find out who makes it and will stand by the warranty I can anticipate great problems in finding replacement parts that are probably unique to the machine.
I will wait a month to see if it arrives at my local TSC store before I take my final decision but I am certainly leaning to saying NO! to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger and Mudwing
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
advertisement
CASTRATE

CASTRATE

Jun 23, 2019
NE OKLAHOMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A neighbor has a Massimo that's about 7 or so years old & has less than 30 miles on it. Rats ended up getting into it, & gnawing on everything gnawable. None of the ATV shops around will work on it or even look into parts for it

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Get a Garmin in-reach mini. Allows text messaging. You can send a map and for serious problems, can send SOS for help.
I'm going to give that a "look-see". We do always take a portable automobile Garmin GPS with us and a mobile phone. I'm also looking at a lithium battery jumper gadgets to cover that base.
This machine is getting to be more of a mystery.
TSC(Canada) is having difficulty in telling me who makes it.
After several phone calls and web surfing I have been led to believe that MASSIMO may be made by :

- LINHAI
or - HISUN Motors
or- NEBULA Automotive

HISUN Motors has made several "brand name" ATV's in the past but won't confirm which ones.
If I can't find out who makes it and will stand by the warranty I can anticipate great problems in finding replacement parts that are probably unique to the machine.
I will wait a month to see if it arrives at my local TSC store before I take my final decision but I am certainly leaning to saying NO! to it.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I looked it up and they are made in China and assembled in Texas. I don't know much at all about it, but I've looked at some of those Chinese machines, and they generally don't compare with the name brands. I went with Honda, and I'll bet it'll still be running in 15 years from now (like my Foreman 400 that is 14 years old and doesn't miss a beat). I suggest if your budget is slim that you take your time and look for a good used name brand. Lots of people buy them and don't use them much at all.

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 153131

I intend to use it for:

Are you serious? Well, good luck with that, but I have a feeling you'll be very sorry, and may even feel stupider than that son in law of yours LOL

Nice warranty though..Limited Warranty: 6-Months Parts Only

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 153131

I intend to use it for:

I had a friend that bought 3 cheap Chinese Yamaha clone 50cc 4 wheelers. He moved across country and i traded a St. Croix fishing rod and a shimano reel for all 3. I wasted a good rod and reel. The quality of all 3 was horrible, the only that ran consistently had a bad gas tank, poor roto molding and had to silicone it up all the time. You get what you pay for except for the P500 where you get more in terms of reliability just not ride quality.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 153131

I intend to use it for:

I can't say I'd ever recommend something like this for someone who is worried about being stranded in the bush.

If you want reliability, there is Honda. Period. May not be sexy or flashy (except maybe the Talon), but it is the most likely to take you home.

Yamaha is also very close...and kawi makes a good product, but they don't have anything you would want, and Suzuki is MIA in the SxS game. Outside of that...hard to say.

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I can't say I'd ever recommend something like this for someone who is worried about being stranded in the bush.

If you want reliability, there is Honda. Period. May not be sexy or flashy (except maybe the Talon), but it is the most likely to take you home.

Yamaha is also very close...and kawi makes a good product, but they don't have anything you would want, and Suzuki is MIA in the SxS game. Outside of that...hard to say.

I know, my thoughts as well. But quite likely, the Massimo wouldn't even make it to the bush, it would break down in the parking lot leaving you stranded while still in civilization LOL

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know, my thoughts as well. But quite likely, the Massimo wouldn't even make it to the bush, it would break down in the parking lot leaving you stranded while still in civilization LOL
Last month I stuck my p1000 5 ,no cell service,yanked every sagebrush out w my winch ,then walked for 10 hours was thankful there was some water run off that I slurped up.was thankful my brother knew where I was , and was looking for me after sundown.The garmin spot thing is very viable as long as u send it to people that like u

Reactions: 1border4manu
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520

View attachment 153131

I intend to use it for:

My first post . . .

A campground neighbor of mine has a new-this-year Hisun 400 like that one. Too soon to speak to its reliability, but...
...recently on a ride with him and wife in the buggy, it bogged down on a somewhat steep, rocky hill. Simply ran out of power and couldn't pull it. Wife got out, but didn't help. Had to back it back down. I like his flashers and turn signals when following him (on my Foreman) down a paved road, though!
20190811 183314

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!