• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon I think I'm hooked

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by Chooglin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Smitty335

Smitty335 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Wh
    What are you trying to say? The Talon is way over priced without proof? HA! I'll be sitting on my bill fold, until proof!

2. Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Talon R
    I am a huge HONDA fan and been riding them since 1985 (250SX, 350X). I have owned numerous models over the years, even one of the first deposits in this area on a 99 400EX. But I have never seen such a highly anticipated release with the price unavailable for nearly two months. I don't understand the reasoning for it, but it definitely has a lot of people undecided. I have a refundable deposit on the first red R at my local dealer (refundable due to no pricing) and if the price is not competitive, sadly, I'm out. I would really like to have another sport SxS in the stable. In the past I have owned 4 sport models (other brands) simply due to Honda not building one, but I have been without a sport and waiting patiently for this release for 2+ years. Hopefully no disappointments.....

CumminsPusher and Vondy like this.
  3. hondabob

hondabob Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    You guys are right on about the price. January will be interesting. I expect it will cost more then the $18,000 RZR 1000 and the $18,000 90 hp NA X3. Can-am has a 2k rebate on the 2018 NA X3. Those base models may need a lot of expensive upgrades to be competitive with the Talon. If your going to put on a lot of miles the belt drive repair will add to the cost. The added complication of a 120 hp X3 turbo is not a good choice in my opinion.

4. HondaTech

HondaTech Working For Mother Honda!!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Not to pee anyone off, but if your expecting the Talon to be anywhere below $18k your going to be sorely disappointed.

The reason everything is discounted down to $14 and $15k is the market has been saturated with the same crap for years. People are tire of buying stuff that breaks or nothing has changed enough for them to want to spend the money on the same thing they've already got.

The Talon will be something new, and while I hate that Honda is taking this long to get it to us, the hype is building and I believe it'll blow peoples socks off.

jay_man81, Hondasxs and JTW like this.
  5. CTDpower

CTDpower Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    The skid plates are less than the pioneer... course they are plastic instead of aluminum, but well, yeah we're screwed.

6. ohanacreek

ohanacreek My EcoBoost has I4WD
    Moderator Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    That’s a good start to showing the value, you should be in sales/marketing for Honda. Right now with what Honda has shown there in no VALUE vs the popo or canned ham. Add in the fact popo is lying about suspension travel and Honda is “behind” they need to change the perception if they want to sell it for more.

GPR1500SC and BWAF like this.
  7. CTDpower

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I agree. If I didn't have any first-hand experience, or I was new to the sport, then at this point I'd have no reason to be considering the Talon any more than any of the others.

And I still stand behind what I've said before, which is, if I drove my Pioneer as harshly as some of the polaris's are being abused, then it would break also. Where I ride I've seen some broke down polaris's, but I don't think I've ever heard a Polaris owner complaining about their side-by-side being broken. And I've only ever seen one can am broken, and it was just a belt, and it was justified LOL. So I would say, in my opinion, people aren't being swayed from Polaris because of a "breaking down" reputation.

BWAF likes this.
  8. CTDpower

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Here is the one Can-Am I've ever seen broke, with the burnt up belt. He was participating in a mud bog, with sand tires LOL. And for the record, it was extremely impressive. The Pioneer, and Talon probably as well, would just have been bogged down, but this thing was throwing mud 50 feet in the air. 20180616_155853.jpg

chadbo, BWAF, JTW and 1 other person like this.
  9. nbomar

nbomar Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    My buddies x3 blew up the belt housing and belt and all a couple weeks ago on the road running 45 mph. They break... it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWAF, JTW, Tigermark and 1 other person like this.
  10. ohanacreek

ohanacreek My EcoBoost has I4WD
    Moderator Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I don’t think the Polaris build quality is as good. The fasteners and tolerances are no where near as good as Honda or CanAm. My neighbor is a vet with a TBI so I help him out on occasion with things that take fine motor skills and as much as I’ve repaired his 2 year old Ranger he puts around on, I’m selling him on Honda or CanAm.

JTW and CumminsPusher like this.
  11. Choogsbro

Choogsbro Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    Sir you are quite clueless about the popo. Here in our area the popo riders/owners are always joking about their machines constantly breaking down or even worse burning down. They have absolutely earned their " breaking down " reputation. Canned hams and popos are both belt burners. Every Atv park I ride at (RRB, Brimstone, Windrock, H&M, Wildcat) have plenty of popo and canned ham belts available for purchase.

Just saying.

jay_man81, Tigermark and JTW like this.
  12. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
  13. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I mean I’m not sure why you are saying “destructive”... pretty sure you’ve cleared that up for us.

ohanacreek and CumminsPusher like this.
  14. Choogsbro

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    Well said. I ride with a lot of popos and canned hams. Your "tow truck" description is spot on. My popo riding freinds are always joking about having me in the riding group as they know they always have someone to get them back to camp. I don't mean to hate on popos, hell I wish they were dependable then I might own one. I really believe my next ride will be a 2019 YXZ or a new Talon. Time will tell.

visbeenk and CumminsPusher like this.
  15. CumminsPusher

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
  16. CumminsPusher

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    visbeenk likes this.
  17. Choogsbro

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    Why pre 19 ? I want the new gearing.

18. CumminsPusher

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    Tigermark likes this.
  19. Dragon21

Dragon21 In my defense, I was left unsupervised
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    did older models have better bed space? the lack of bed space was a huge turn off for me

CumminsPusher likes this.
  20. Choogsbro

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    That all makes sense but what about lower gearing ? Do you not feel it is needed. Many in my are think it is an absolute need for our type of eastern trails. And yes hear nothing but good things about Alba and Weller.

CumminsPusher likes this.