P1000 I want power upgrades....

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys i have had my pioneer for almost 2 years.. I think its time to move on.. NO POWER UPGRADES??? I have had so much fun with my family on this rig, I ride trails mostly but go to the sand dunes occasionally, its a bit heavy and bulky.. if i had a few options i wouldn't stray... But unfortunately (overall) everyone is happy the way they are, Any help as to my next move? I feel sad saying all this cause i love my pioneer, i love Honda. I am 31 and still own a CR500 so I kinda have a need for speed one might say.
Some upgrades they offer don't really do much. Big ol bulky roll cage, K&N has nothing, Nothing for the cam, Power Commander 5 with auto tune will barely boost the low end, Loud exhaust doesn't offer more than 2% power increase over stock. COME ON HONDA. Wake up some of the old guys who used to make HONDA on top of the race circuits!

Reactions: pct
Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Feel your frustration. P1000 going on three years old, most aftermarket manufacturers don't want to drop a ton of r&d money. I also wonder if the ones that have put their toe in the water have experienced clutch problems on added horsepower? I've dealt with the boys at fuelmoto with motorcycles, I bet they can answer that. Makes it hard to sell when they know the customers machine might not be up for the add on. With the internet bad reviews travel fast.

Being in central Illinois most of my riding has been country roads(paved). Our fields still have crops in them so running a water way or two bout it for now, each day that's changing. For that purpose p1000 works great. Only thing I'd change would be tires. Bighorns aren't pavement friendly, noisy and wearing on lug bars.

Two weeks ago I got the chance to take it to upper Wisconsin/U.P. to ride trail systems there. I got one good day of riding in (bout 100 miles) half day was with 3 adult males. I realize Wisconsin is not Utah bit more flat but gave me a chance to observe something other then paved roads. The trails have a higher sand(silicon) base to soil than my home. Upper Wisconsin also had 3 days of rain before I got there, no dust at all. My machine was about flawless in these conditions. The bighorn tires came into their own. Trails were due for grooming plenty of standing water. Lots of this riding reminded me of the low whoops section in a motocross track. Guys that ride snowmobiles understand this stuff the stop and go again stuff that needs groomed out. Two guys I took with me had the same observation, man this thing rides awesome. One of the guys was a farm boy that been riding atv's since he could throw a leg over. It rode great most of the travel speed was 25-35mph. Speed limit UTV's 35. In the corners tried to keep it there. Ran tires at 14psi higher then recommended didn't want to blow off bead, cell service(no service) in area. The only thing I noticed when pushing hard in a turn the front pushes out (understeer). Maybe this can be corrected with tire pressure/new tires. Another thing I've not seen this posted anywhere probably due to variances but I was getting right at 20mpg. As you can tell I was way more impressed with it over my paved road riding at home. It just didn't have any real bad habits and steering was predictable and ride was outstanding. I didn't think the stock shocks on a 5-D with 750lbs of guys would cut it, they did on these trails.

Ive rode ATV's in sand hills and the one thing you never have enough in sand in HP. Tire spin is king in most of that riding and I can see that P1000 doesn't excel at that. If most of your riding or half of your riding is sand I'd be in a sport model. I needed a utilitarian machine so the General deluxe was on my short list. Seats are outstanding in the Polaris but dam they are proud of it. Dealer was going to drop 1500 off msrp on a '17. Two seater just wasn't gonna cut it for me and the crew cab, didn't want a school bus. I do think if performance upgrades=max hp is your want, a turbo be in your future.

I'd be curious to see what a trade in value on a 5-D would be. At first I regretted not getting the General but the more miles I put on this the more it's impressed me.
Good luck with your decision.

Hawkeye

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Even in sport mode it's not quick enough? I use mine out of sport mode so when I push that switch its like driving a new machine. Ol' Heavy comes to life with the press of that button I use it so seldom I forget it exists.

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: I threw on a power commander 5 and autotune, also put a k&n air filter on. Now were getting close to a fun rig, ONE DAY!!!!! I want to Fabricate a new chromoly pioneer frame with long travel suspension and some porting and boring and honing, make it have just 2 seats up front and 2 optional fold out in the rear. Same wheelbase just lighter, skinnier, Fast A.F. Ideally, that thing would kick some ass. Don't make me get into turbos and launch control :) well be here all month long on my "wishlist" and its almost Christmas!!! what????

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I truly can say, it shifts so much quicker. No joke, a quarter of a second is all it takes. maybe shifts 3 times faster than stock!

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The African Twin cam will give you a little more mid range and top end, it will bounce of the Rev limiter easier.

Reactions: strongbuilt
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Update: I threw on a power commander 5 and autotune, also put a k&n air filter on. Now were getting close to a fun rig, ONE DAY!!!!! I want to Fabricate a new chromoly pioneer frame with long travel suspension and some porting and boring and honing, make it have just 2 seats up front and 2 optional fold out in the rear. Same wheelbase just lighter, skinnier, Fast A.F. Ideally, that thing would kick some ass. Don't make me get into turbos and launch control :) well be here all month long on my "wishlist" and its almost Christmas!!! what????

Hang in there, uncle Honda should have 2 fun options to choose from this time next year, for the beginning of desert riding season. Might even see your wish list item as a factory option.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!