P500 IACV Sensor

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey everyone,
It’s been some time since I’ve been on here, hope everyone is doing good.
I think my IACV is going bad, is it better to try to clean it or just replace? Anyone got any tips on getting to it?

Thanks

Reactions: jonedmonds
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What year is your 500? How many miles?
You sure it's the sensor thats bad?
There are reports of wires becoming broken inside the insulation and occasionally losing connection right at the head.
A slight pull left or right on the wires at idle should help expose that.
We have a pigtail connector in the store that came about due to this issue.

As far as your answer.
I remember twice I had to clean it on my Rincon while our riding due to high idle.
A cleaning cleared it for the weekend but I did replace it once I got back home.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
2015, can’t remember miles, but it’s got a few. Not completely sure, but it’s acting like a friends did a few years ago. Idles fine, but when you take off it stalls some and backfires a lot and seems to be getting progressively worse.

Reactions: Smitty335
Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Not if it's anything like a car with a plugged catalytic converter. It will idle all day long until you try to push some real amount of air through it. I've had it happen twice on old trucks. Does it run but have no power the more gas you give it? That would also be a good clue.

Just thought I would mention it since it would cost nothing to check or fix if it is.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Not if it's anything like a car with a plugged catalytic converter. It will idle all day long until you try to push some real amount of air through it. I've had it happen twice on old trucks. Does it run but have no power the more gas you give it? That would also be a good clue.

Just thought I would mention it since it would cost nothing to check or fix if it is.
It still has the power, but is choppy and cuts out. It is definitely something I’m going to check before I go for the sensor. If I remember correctly it’s quite the process to get to the sensor.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t know if I’ve lost my googling ability or what, but I can’t find a video of how to get to the sensor. I’d appreciate it if anyone has some links to a video or instructions.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
From 2015 SM. Apologize if you already have that and are only looking to how to access.

IMG 4586

Reactions: idcwby and Hondasxs
idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the pictures the the holder was throwing me some because it didn’t match what the sensor/valve looked like. Any idea what the reason behind the security torx is?

Got it replaced and runs/idles like new.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!