sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Ok I have been searching the threads high and low I could of sworn I read a post that someone had found related gears to swap out in trans for igr had a complete write on this with all the factory part number can someone point me in that direction

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For a Talon? No such thing (factory wise anyway). There are 2 aftermarket options...

Reduction Boss Engineering IGR before the clutch. This lowers H, L and R.

COPS Internal Sub-trans reduction for L and R. Currently out of stock and no ETA.

Reactions: BWAF and Smitty335
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
For a Talon? No such thing (factory wise anyway). There are 2 aftermarket options...

Reduction Boss Engineering IGR before the clutch. This lowers H, L and R.

COPS Internal Sub-trans reduction for L and R. Currently out of stock and no ETA.
That second one is vaporware.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok I have been searching the threads high and low I could of sworn I read a post that someone had found related gears to swap out in trans for igr had a complete write on this with all the factory part number can someone point me in that direction
Yep, Reduction Boss’s IGR has been installed in mine and I’m hoping to pick it up today or tomorrow for a test drive this weekend…it’s about $1200
I’ll post after I’ve put it to the test.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That second one is vaporware.
And this is most unfortunate.

I have contemplated the Reduction Boss IGR but it reduces the gear before the clutches and therefore puts 25% more stress on the clutches. It also reduces High and I don't really want that.

Someone with the actual materials, shop and know how (Torque Masters perhaps???) needs to take on the Sub-Trans IGR. It is only a couple gears for hell's sake, not rocket science and doesn't require welding new gears on a clutch drum. No cores, no nothing but a couple gears. And I am almost certain the same parts fit the Pioneer so they would sell thousands of them.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
And this is most unfortunate.

I have contemplated the Reduction Boss IGR but it reduces the gear before the clutches and therefore puts 25% more stress on the clutches. It also reduces High and I don't really want that.

Someone with the actual materials, shop and know how (Torque Masters perhaps???) needs to take on the Sub-Trans IGR. It is only a couple gears for hell's sake, not rocket science and doesn't require welding new gears on a clutch drum. No cores, no nothing but a couple gears. And I am almost certain the same parts fit the Pioneer so they would sell thousands of them.
I don't think there's room in the case to do a low range reduction low enough to be beneficial. Never saw an issue with the clutches and IGR. Low range needs to be about 40% lower than it is. No reason to be able to run 50+ mph in low.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I think you might be referring to being able to put the lower Talon reverse gears in a Pioneer.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I approached Torq Masters about this, they claim it’s out of their wheel house, and RB claims that the subtrans isn’t suited to an IGR, their engineers have researched the possibility. They also claim they’ve got thousands of satisfied customers with their IGR and no reports of clutch damage or failure…..

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Probably why Zachary keeps talking about his subtrans IGR that never materializes…..I put up with his bulls*** in texts and emails for a couple years and settled for RB’s IGR that they are successfully cranking out with people on waiting lists to obtain. I don’t run around 70+ miles an hour anyway, it’s a trail machine for me and all my problems were under 20 at lower RPM’s….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh, and while on the subject, he (Zach) told me about his HI/LO box that is superior to RB’s pos as he claims, but when I told him I’d take it, and to send it to me, he informed me that it’s indefinitely unavailable….🙄

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think there's room in the case to do a low range reduction low enough to be beneficial. Never saw an issue with the clutches and IGR. Low range needs to be about 40% lower than it is. No reason to be able to run 50+ mph in low.
OK, lack of room for gears makes the most sense of any explanation I have heard to date. In theory, a Sub-Trans Gear Reduction makes sense but is not attainable with the room constraints. If that is the case, then a new case would have to be engineered and probably why Honda has done nothing to address this long time issue. All Honda could do was slightly gear the Talon down as far as they could with the room available.

IGR on the Pioneer pushes the torque to the clutches up 25% (about where the Talon is) so I don't suspect any problems on the Pioneer since the Pioneer and Talon have a similar clutch. IGR on the Talon pushes the torque on the clutches up quite a bit more that that so until this are more Talons with IGR and some feedback, I will wait and see if they hold up OK.

A Talon will also do like 45 in Low and that is just insane. In low I would never need to go over 25 and if I did, I would gladly stop and shift. I do however run my machine at 50+ in high more than I ever thought I would so even if the RB's IGR proves reliable, I will really need to think about going with IGR.

I guess I need 2 different machines to get what I want/need :( .

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
OK, lack of room for gears makes the most sense of any explanation I have heard to date. In theory, a Sub-Trans Gear Reduction makes sense but is not attainable with the room constraints. If that is the case, then a new case would have to be engineered and probably why Honda has done nothing to address this long time issue. All Honda could do was slightly gear the Talon down as far as they could with the room available.

IGR on the Pioneer pushes the torque to the clutches up 25% (about where the Talon is) so I don't suspect any problems on the Pioneer since the Pioneer and Talon have a similar clutch. IGR on the Talon pushes the torque on the clutches up quite a bit more that that so until this are more Talons with IGR and some feedback, I will wait and see if they hold up OK.

A Talon will also do like 45 in Low and that is just insane. In low I would never need to go over 25 and if I did, I would gladly stop and shift. I do however run my machine at 50+ in high more than I ever thought I would so even if the RB's IGR proves reliable, I will really need to think about going with IGR.

I've had the IGR in my Pioneer for almost 5 years. It's Talon powered (Was briefly turbo'ed 10psi) with 32" sticky Roxxzillas. No clutch issues. Think mine does 47 in low with the IGR and 32's. Still needs to be lower for our rock crawling.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

True story.

however with 30% geardown (portals) and 31’s my talon does 57 mph on gps. I know you don’t want portals though.

likely with a 25% IGR and 32’s you would do pretty well for the speedy stuff.

maybe the cleanest dirty shirt.

my goal is I want 55% lower gearing in low and 10% lower gearing in high.

then I would run 31’s without portals and still be able to crawl the steep and deep stuff plus fly the whoops at 65. (With the raised rev limiter)

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Pretty sure the IGR worked out to a 21.6% reduction.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!