BOX1 - TEST

P1000 IGR vs Tuning only vs both vs ???

mootyfab

mootyfab

Jun 13, 2018
greensboro, nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ive heard and read mixed things about both. i am running 30" carnivores on my 1000-5, you can defiantly tell a difference from stock and i want more low end power for the type of riding i do. just looking for real world opinions towards all aspects.

IGR with speedo fixers?
IGR with custom tuning?
Tuning only?
something else??????

just looking for opinions and experiences! not trying to start a company bash off!!!
thanks!

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
test - test -test
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ive heard and read mixed things about both. i am running 30" carnivores on my 1000-5, you can defiantly tell a difference from stock and i want more low end power for the type of riding i do. just looking for real world opinions towards all aspects.

IGR with speedo fixers?
IGR with custom tuning?
Tuning only?
something else??????

just looking for opinions and experiences! not trying to start a company bash off!!!
thanks!

all are options it depends on what you want in the end, 30’s you can get away with a mild tune but it won’t be the same as an IGR, BUT the IGR REQUIRES fixers or a Talon ECU that is tuned for a Pioneer.
32’s REQUIRES the IGR if you want any power. True 32’s with IGR is about 3% lower than stock final ratio including the tire.

basically if you want 32’s it’s not just tires and a-arms it’s much more to have any kind of available power.

For reference speedo fixers are @$300 the PV3 is about $400 the talon ECU is $200, IGR is $950. Talon ECU opens up more modifications vs pioneer ECU some of the low end power loss is Torque management in the ECU in the talon ECU you can adjust that.

Budget and use are going to decide what you end up doing

depending on what you end up going with I might be able to give you my tune for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: ileft and Mudwing
test - test -test
mootyfab

mootyfab

Jun 13, 2018
greensboro, nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Budget is deciding factor I believe.
I wanted IGR badly at one point but wasn’t 100% sold on the modifications it requires and the necessary stuff to make it shift right all the time.
I was fighting ground clearance problems and wanted more torque so I went 4” portals. Shirty after I found the Morris brothers who do the custom tunes with Power Vision 3’s and bought it as well. I’m very happy with my setup and it’s all easily reversed if wanted but was expensive. But it’s a whole new machine and I don’t feel like I have to try hard to keep up on the rides we do with machines purpose built For mud. Yes we are mud riders who some say should have bought submarines but it’s what’s around us and what we like to do. Here is all my mods performance/ground clearance related
HighLifter Arched a arms and 2.5” Bracket lift
Fox shocks and SATV HD tie rods
GDP 4” 30% portals and 12 o’clock labs corrector
PV3 with custom tune from Morris brothers with reverse shifting and specifically for mudding
Aluminum throttle body spacer(larger than stock)
Run either 35” Black Bear MX618’s or 32” Outback Max
TCP triple pass radiator setup with Spal fan and shroud.
Only thing I regret is not doing portals and tune earlier.

View attachment 202509 View attachment 202510 View attachment 202511 View attachment 202512 View attachment 202513 View attachment 202514 View attachment 202515 View attachment 202516

i moved from FL to North Carolina so i know about riding the swamp. i still have my grizzly with 6" lift on 31s here with me...lol. i wanna steer clear of portals as i know the advantage of gear reduction at the wheels is nice but some of the trails we ride are tight enough as it is and i know it would turn into more of a hassle with the extra height and width.

all are options it depends on what you want in the end, 30’s you can get away with a mild tune but it won’t be the same as an IGR, BUT the IGR REQUIRES fixers or a Talon ECU that is tuned for a Pioneer.
32’s REQUIRES the IGR if you want any power. True 32’s with IGR is about 3% lower than stock final ratio including the tire.

basically if you want 32’s it’s not just tires and a-arms it’s much more to have any kind of available power.

For reference speedo fixers are @$300 the PV3 is about $400 the talon ECU is $200, IGR is $950. Talon ECU opens up more modifications vs pioneer ECU some of the low end power loss is Torque management in the ECU in the talon ECU you can adjust that.

Budget and use are going to decide what you end up doing

depending on what you end up going with I might be able to give you my tune for free.

is there a certain year/model of talon that the ECU needs to come from?

test - test -test
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i moved from FL to North Carolina so i know about riding the swamp. i still have my grizzly with 6" lift on 31s here with me...lol. i wanna steer clear of portals as i know the advantage of gear reduction at the wheels is nice but some of the trails we ride are tight enough as it is and i know it would turn into more of a hassle with the extra height and width.

Is there a certain year/model of talon that the ECU needs to come from?

I know a 19 Talon ECU going in a 16 1000-5 works but it HAS to have a modified tune or a PCV with auto-tune in it to even run.

I would NEVER do portals for anything other than mud. I’ve seen too many machines break something trying stuff other than mud and they have to be rebuilt too often. Where we ride as far away from truck in rough terrain that’s not an option to have something fail like that.

NOT Sure about modding an LE Pioneer

Reactions: JTW and Superthrill
test - test -test
mootyfab

mootyfab

Jun 13, 2018
greensboro, nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know a 19 Talon ECU going in a 16 1000-5 works but it HAS to have a modified tune or a PCV with auto-tune in it to even run.

I would NEVER do portals for anything other than mud. I’ve seen too many machines break something trying stuff other than mud and they have to be rebuilt too often. Where we ride as far away from truck in rough terrain that’s not an option to have something fail like that.

NOT Sure about modding an LE Pioneer

how did the machine ride with just the IGR before tuning? i can get a talon ECU fairly cheap. is the tuning done by just sending the ECU to the tuner or do they need to entire machine?

test - test -test
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how did the machine ride with just the IGR before tuning? i can get a talon ECU fairly cheap. is the tuning done by just sending the ECU to the tuner or do they need to entire machine?

Runs fine it won’t shift at WOT though. IF you do IGR and Talon ECU once I get mine set I’ll share the tune no point in you paying for it if you have a PV3

Reactions: ToddACimer
test - test -test
I

ileft

Nov 22, 2016
Concord Nc
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just from what I read on Facebook there no need for a talon ECU there place call Hess Motorsport tuning pioneer with just a pv3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

test - test -test
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The Vision 3 supports 2018 Pioneer and up.

test - test -test
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just from what I read on Facebook there no need for a talon ECU there place call Hess Motorsport tuning pioneer with just a pv3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite a few more parameters are open on the talon ECU.

test - test -test test - test -test
BOX2
box3 - TEST

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!