P1000 Improved clutch cover update concerns

C

caddyman

Guys
I had this done on a '17 LE-3 not long ago and figured I would update you all. I had a chance to take it out on a better test drive than what I did at dealership. In auto mode the shifting does not seem right. Noticed on some of the gear shifts the RPM's would go higher than normal then sound normal until the next shift. I have experienced this prior but it was very random and wasn't any specific gear. Kinda like that shift didn't sound normal but may never happen the rest of your ride. Manual mode seems fine as I use that most of the time anyway. Also there was snow, so part of my ride I had it in I4WD. When only accelerating I would hear a strange clunk in the drivetrain. My only thought it was due to it being in 4WD and dont know if its related to the odd shifting in auto mode. I always warm it up for 10 or 15 minutes before riding. Needless to say I called the shop and was told that is normal shifting after the clutch cover update. I cant imagine this is normal after reading other posts that had this update done. He did say part of that install was to re-program something. I also complained about how long it would take for cluster to register drive modes i.e turf, 2 wheel lock. Adjustments were made. Any thoughts on this? current miles 700 and clutches looked fine. I like the dealer and trust what the tech tells me but something just isn't right. Perhaps I need to go on a longer ride. All I can say its not the same after I got it back.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Kilo427 share your update experience? See above .

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have an 18 LE where update is already on from factory . I have no odd shifting issues at all. Also have a 2016 P1K5D with 2400 miles that went through 2 clutch replacement and it shifted as you described when clutch was going out. The noise is just the shifter doing it's thing, gets quieter over time. Revving is not normal on gear changes.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Is have to agree with jackal I recently did a clutch changed and update my clutch and only one time did I notice any odd sound or Increase rpms. I drove mine and so did jtw with nothing other than one small stutter when I first started the machine and I am fairly certain it was likely just a quirk or voltage on start up issue.

I would say if it feels as if the engine is reving before the clutch seems to engage something is not right. Have you had any issues with overheating at all since the clutch update or before it?

C

caddyman

Tech said its really not necessary to check the clutches when update is done unless the owner complains about something or if it has higher mies on it. His thought is to check them regardless as he already has it opened up. Hard to believe clutches are at fault when they were inspected. If it were a clutch issue wouldn't you see same/similar behavior in manual mode?? Wonder if it has something to do with the reprogramming of computer/shifting patterns or if something isn't adjusted right after putting everything back together. Either way I will take it out on another drive and go from there. If it continues to be an issue I will have to take it back. Couple months left on the warranty. Bummer!! DCT is still growing on me. Its like a love/hate relationship. Anyway appreciate the input. It'll get fixed just a PITA to deal with especially when it was fine prior to taking it in. Yamaha needs to put the new twin in the Wolverine r-spec with a dump bed and we may have a winner! Just sayin :)

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Mine had the same problem, always stuck in 2WD (4WD fine) and could never get it into Turf mode, so I opened up the shift box and it and could see everything was way out of line. Made the adjustments and it shifts in and out of turf mode immediately. What I can't get to work is the dash indicator. It never changes from turf mode. Not for 2WD lock, 4WD, or 4WD Diff. All the other dash lights work without issues except that. I can confirm what mode I'm in by visually spinning the tires in the snow. Anyone had that issue?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
If it were a clutch issue wouldn't you see same/similar behavior in manual mode??

You would think so but in my experience auto for some reason will really point out where you clutch is slipping in manual. I don't know if I just got used to shifting differently, but the manual seldom slips as bad as auto.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You would think so but in my experience auto for some reason will really point out where you clutch is slipping in manual. I don't know if I just got used to shifting differently, but the manual seldom slips as bad as auto.
Same experience here

C

caddyman

Mine had the same problem, always stuck in 2WD (4WD fine) and could never get it into Turf mode, so I opened up the shift box and it and could see everything was way out of line. Made the adjustments and it shifts in and out of turf mode immediately. What I can't get to work is the dash indicator. It never changes from turf mode. Not for 2WD lock, 4WD, or 4WD Diff. All the other dash lights work without issues except that. I can confirm what mode I'm in by visually spinning the tires in the snow. Anyone had that issue?
Mine was exactly that after I picked up from the dealer. Seems fine now after the adjustment. Probably should not have mixed this in with my original post as my shifting issue was why i posted in the first place. Threw it in so everyone had
Yeah another reason why i drive it in manual 90% of the time. For some reason I never liked how the gears sync in auto. To me it shifts too soon keeping the RPMS way down. i like to rev her up more when in manual. Course sport more less does the same thing as well. Cleaner shifts for sure.

C

caddyman

Mine was exactly that after I picked up from the dealer. Seems fine now after the adjustment. Probably should not have mixed this in with my original post as my shifting issue was why i posted in the first place. Threw it in so everyone had
LOL! Oops didn't realize I had a partial response. Finish saying is that so everyone had info on what was done at the dealer. Doubt the drive mode adjustment has anything do with shifting behavior.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just had my clutch cover done last week just rode 2 or 3 miles and it shifts smooth u can't hardly tell when it shifts hope to put more miles on it

Reactions: JACKAL
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
........Wonder if it has something to do with the reprogramming of computer/shifting patterns or if something isn't adjusted right after putting everything back together.......

If they unhooked the battery it may just need time to readjust to your riding habits?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If they unhooked the battery it may just need time to readjust to your riding habits?
They really don’t adjust to someone. All the sensors are based off of speed rpm oil temps exc. there isn’t smart technology in the Pioneer we slowly adjust to it

Reactions: Farmer
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
They really don’t adjust to someone. All the sensors are based off of speed rpm oil temps exc. there isn’t smart technology in the Pioneer we slowly adjust to it

10/4 I though I read something about my '14 700 doing something like that. Probably just my mind playing games with me again.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
10/4 I though I read something about my '14 700 doing something like that. Probably just my mind playing games with me again.
Lol. That rumor has been going around since the beginning, i think we all wanted to believe it:)
It does a pretty good job based off of everything it has though

Reactions: Farmer
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Suppose you could do a clutch reset to see if it helps prob wont hurt. If it is a clutch going its gonna go eventually. How carefully you ride and how long you use manual will dictate how long before its totally gone.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I adjusted mine like above and it would switch modes immediately but the light wasn’t as fast, have it a one more turn and it changed modes and the lights on the dash reflected the mode much quicker

R

Ronlovan

Sep 6, 2017
Lamar Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tech said its really not necessary to check the clutches when update is done unless the owner complains about something or if it has higher mies on it. His thought is to check them regardless as he already has it opened up. Hard to believe clutches are at fault when they were inspected. If it were a clutch issue wouldn't you see same/similar behavior in manual mode?? Wonder if it has something to do with the reprogramming of computer/shifting patterns or if something isn't adjusted right after putting everything back together. Either way I will take it out on another drive and go from there. If it continues to be an issue I will have to take it back. Couple months left on the warranty. Bummer!! DCT is still growing on me. Its like a love/hate relationship. Anyway appreciate the input. It'll get fixed just a PITA to deal with especially when it was fine prior to taking it in. Yamaha needs to put the new twin in the Wolverine r-spec with a dump bed and we may have a winner! Just sayin :)

I was told when they did my update that one of the clutches and new cover is the update. I also have a client who has one on their dairy farm and Honda replaces both clutches in it. But now it’s back to shifting the way it was before. I know they have to reinitiate the computer to the new clutch. It’s back at Honda now being looked at. My update has been great for mine with no issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!