Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just ordered itp steel wheels 5/2 offset 12x7 with 26” all around big horn 2.0 . Now if I read right the front is wider than back is that a problem,thanks
It didn’t bother mine.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I like having the rear narrower, if I make it through a tight spot with my front tires the back will not need me to supervise. I will also add that a tire under 28" seems small to me, I don't see how some guys get anywhere on anything less.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I like having the rear narrower, if I make it through a tight spot with my front tires the back will not need me to supervise. I will also add that a tire under 28" seems small to me, I don't see how some guys get anywhere on anything less.

You need to share how you got 30's under that without them rubbing?

Reactions: Russ989 and Glazer
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for advice guys. Upgraded skids are on the list but i need to get some height first. Even with the abuse, the factory skids are not doing too badly.

I can't really afford (or justify to the boss) spending almost 2 grand on new shocks (way more expensive in Canada). The ride on the stock shocks is ok for me and I haven't heard that the WE shocks increase ride height by much which is what i am really after.

I am going to give the lift kit a try (it is only $150 and is a bolt-on). If it doesn't work I can take it off and not be out much. I was hoping that someone on the forum had already tried this mod and could comment. But I guess someone needs to be the guinea pig. If there is someone that has tried this, please let me know.
Elka stage 2 will set you back $1900 BUT.....different machine altogether!

All I can say is that "my Boss" said that this was the best money I spent on the goat!!!

Jevin

Jevin

Oct 2, 2019
Saint John, NB, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 106234 View attachment 106233

Boy, no kidding on the WE shocks. Just put 4 on my p 500 2018 model. They came with at least 2.5 inches of height gain on the front.....a test ride noted a slight vibration probably due to the increased drive shaft angle to the wheels. I ended up backing off the preload collar to stock height. I think one could probably get at least 3/4 inch or a bit more without any drive shaft vibration due to the increased angle on the cv joints. Get the angle to steep on the drive shaft to the wheels and it will bind per the dealer. I’ll probably go with taller tires and wheel spacers for more ground clearance and stability when the piggy bank recovers from the Walker Evans shock upgrade. Can’t comment on the ride change yet...have not been on any trails after the upgrade. The new shocks have 12 steps on the hydraulic shock absorber remote chamber. View attachment 106234
How much thread do you have on the shock collar now? I have Elka Stage one and i have adjusted to have one full inch of thread showing on the top. Think i will try a little more. Biggest improvement anyone can make to the P5 is shocks.

Reactions: Smitty335
B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
How much thread do you have on the shock collar now? I have Elka Stage one and i have adjusted to have one full inch of thread showing on the top. Think i will try a little more. Biggest improvement anyone can make to the P5 is shocks.
I’m afraid my input is not applicable now since I’ve installed the long travel kit with new 800 lb per inch springs on the back and the old rear springs moved up to the front. Be sure to check the flex on the passenger front tire axle ( shorter than the driver side axle) as you may experience binding of the joint if you get the preload set too high in your quest for ground clearance. Jack the front up until the tires clear the ground and rotate the tire by hand with it in neutral. If you are getting any binding, you need to back off the preload. This is the ultimate test for preloading the springs to gain ground clearance. If you are not happy with the ground clearance, try taller tires, but be aware as you go up in clearance your center of gravity goes up and it will tip over easier on off camber slopes or high speed cornering. The solution to that is 2 inch spacers front and rear. I have some posts on how to calculate the roll over angle with increasing ground clearance. If you can’t find them, I can send you some info, diagram, etc.

Reactions: Jevin
Jevin

Jevin

Oct 2, 2019
Saint John, NB, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I’m afraid my input is not applicable now since I’ve installed the long travel kit with new 800 lb per inch springs on the back and the old rear springs moved up to the front. Be sure to check the flex on the passenger front tire axle ( shorter than the driver side axle) as you may experience binding of the joint if you get the preload set too high in your quest for ground clearance. Jack the front up until the tires clear the ground and rotate the tire by hand with it in neutral. If you are getting any binding, you need to back off the preload. This is the ultimate test for preloading the springs to gain ground clearance. If you are not happy with the ground clearance, try taller tires, but be aware as you go up in clearance your center of gravity goes up and it will tip over easier on off camber slopes or high speed cornering. The solution to that is 2 inch spacers front and rear. I have some posts on how to calculate the roll over angle with increasing ground clearance. If you can’t find them, I can send you some info, diagram, etc.
Thanks for info. I will check that. I have 26 inch radial on now with One inch spacers on the back. I will be moving them to the front and putting two inch spacers on the back soon. The spacers made a big difference.

Reactions: Montecresto
Jevin

Jevin

Oct 2, 2019
Saint John, NB, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
On my Stage 2, I have about 1 1/4 in the back and about 1 inch in the front. Very pleased! 26 inch as well. One inch spacer in the back.
I was @ 1inch until last night. I am now @ 1-1/4 all around. Measuring from bottom of frame rails. I am now @ 10-1/2 (F) + 9-3/4 (R). Must be the extra weight in the rear. No binding from what i could tell. Is your clearance the same front and back?

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for info. I will check that. I have 26 inch radial on now with One inch spacers on the back. I will be moving them to the front and putting two inch spacers on the back soon. The spacers made a big difference.
Great!
I was @ 1inch until last night. I am now @ 1-1/4 all around. Measuring from bottom of frame rails. I am now @ 10-1/2 (F) + 9-3/4 (R). Must be the extra weight in the rear. No binding from what i could tell. Is your clearance the same front and back?
I’ve got about 11 inches of clearance front and rear with 26 inch Bighorn tires that are actually 26 inches. Need to remember my rig is now 62 inches wide wirh the long travel kit. That kit has longer A arms and 700 axles so it can handle slopes really well with the extra clearance. I’ve found that my springs settle in after a while and I’ve had to readjust the preload several times when my ground clearance gets less. Hopefully they will be more stable and I won’t have to keep playing with the preload. My roll over angle is around 38 degrees now and was 33.5 stock. Glad you like your new shocks. Have fun out there!

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have 1 3/4 in the back and 1 1/2 in the front no load and with 10 PSI all around... So loaded I must be pretty close front-back...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!