T

TJPSquirrel327

Nov 29, 2021
Minocqua, WI
Ownership

1. 700-2
I continue to have this stalling issue after three trips to the dealer:
Year: 2021
Miles: now 463, started at ~250 miles or so (101 hours now)
Any electrical modifications: Winch & LED light bar added on purchase, no issues first 250 miles or so
When did the issue start: approx 250 miles
Repairs made to fix issue; drain old & add new fuel, clean fuel filter at pump, new spark plugs and cap, re-configured electrical connections to battery making the OEM connection the primary (touching battery then accy connections above), re-did electrical grounds. All of these done at Honda Dealership over three different trips. I only use ethanol-free fuel so assuming no fuel issues and I run a dozen other small engines ethanol-free in order to avoid issue of bad-fuel.
Has the issue returned? Yesx3. After three trips to the dealer, still stalling. I've ensured that they experienced the stalling themselves which they confirmed. This condition occurs at a wide range of temperatures from 80 degrees F to below freezing. (Wisconsin from June to December).

Prior to my fourth trip to the dealer, I have contacted Honda Customer Relations at their corporate US office to describe the situation. I am awaiting their response before taking it in for the fourth time.

I had suggested that perhaps there is a fault in the fuel pump that initially delivers adequate volume of fuel at start-up, but perhaps this fault causes low fuel pressure while running? I'm over $400 into repairs with no resolution. I'm out of warranty and hoping someone has found the permanent solution? Has anyone replaced their fuel pump and found success?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Miles: now 463
Welcome from Michigan and congrats on your first post since joining almost 3yrs ago!
Sorry its an issue post.
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
On the rig

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Prior to my fourth trip to the dealer
Time to take it to another steelership fir a different set of eyes. There spinning there wheels there. Or cut your losses, trade it and get a P1 youll be way happier

Reactions: Smitty335
J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ve been dealing with this issue too. Mine seems to be a wiring problem, I think this because my 2021 Deluxe model will hard down shift then dies. If I’m quick I can keep it running before it dies dead by shifting into neutral. Really weird stuff which a ground problem will do in a 12v system. I have cleaned the ground cluster above the rear passenger side tire an added additional ground straps from engine to frame. It always works for awhile then it pukes. This last time round I replaced the battery with a bigger one with more cold cranking Amps to maybe fix the other PITA problem that is the no starting in cold weather. As of today it’s been a week since I did the swap and it’s been starting and not dying. Go figure, I’m not convinced it’s fixed for good by any stretch, time will tell.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any electrical modifications: Winch & LED light bar added on purchase, no issues first 250 miles or so
Repairs made to fix issue; drain old & add new fuel, clean fuel filter at pump, new spark plugs and cap, re-configured electrical connections to battery making the OEM connection the primary (touching battery then accy connections above), re-did electrical grounds. All of these done at Honda Dealership over three different trips. I only use ethanol-free fuel so assuming no fuel issues and I run a dozen other small engines ethanol-free in order to avoid issue of bad-fuel.
Has the issue returned? Yesx3. After three trips to the dealer, still stalling. I've ensured that they experienced the stalling themselves which they confirmed. This condition occurs at a wide range of temperatures from 80 degrees F to below freezing. (Wisconsin from June to December).

Prior to my fourth trip to the dealer, I have contacted Honda Customer Relations at their corporate US office to describe the situation. I am awaiting their response before taking it in for the fourth time.

I had suggested that perhaps there is a fault in the fuel pump that initially delivers adequate volume of fuel at start-up, but perhaps this fault causes low fuel pressure while running? I'm over $400 into repairs with no resolution. I'm out of warranty and hoping someone has found the permanent solution? Has anyone replaced their fuel pump and found success?
Is your machine doing the dash reboot thing? "Bad fuel" or a failed fuel pump will not cause that.

I do feel like Ive found a permanent solution IF you're dealing with the reboot thing. It's in this thread...

I think some Aussie guys have had success with this too. It's been a long time and quite a few miles since I had the issue. May happen the next time I crank it up, but it has shown no signs of it since. I feel like it's fixed.

T

TJPSquirrel327

Nov 29, 2021
Minocqua, WI
Ownership

1. 700-2

UPDATE: I decided to contact American Honda Motorsports (AHM) through the Customer Relations link on their website. I described the condition & situation having been to the dealership 3x with no resolution. (Emailed them on Sunday, they replied Monday - impressed.) I took the Pioneer to the dealer on Tuesday, got a call from the tech Wednesday. I notified AHM when I dropped the unit off at the dealer - they called the dealer & spoke to the tech right away. The condition identified was that the wiring coming from the stator was 'wicking' oil up the wire - inside the insulation - and causing a short at the connection or beyond. They had this same situation with another 700 in Wisconsin - not necessarily related to this location. The cause for the wicking was explained as my tepid riding habits - pretty slow, mostly riding around my property and I rarely exceed 20mph - 100 hours & only 463 miles. I leave it idling a lot as I load/unload firewood. I don't necessarily buy that explanation - i think it's a poorly designed or manufactured part.

The solution is to replace the stator but first applying some RTV/silicone at the wire connection at the stator. You'd think that this component - sitting in oil - would somehow consider that oil might travel up the wire but I guess not. So - the tech at the dealer is applying RTV at the connection on the stator. I know I am paying for the new stator, I will see if the dealer knocks some $ off the labor for the past attempts but I don't expect.

So - as it is the Holidays I don't have it back yet. If it stalls again I'll report back but I would expect that if it is to stall again, it will be quite some time assuming that this is the fix (I don't expect it to be a permanent fix, thought the tech did advise that they could check/reseal this every year or so.). I'll try to report back in a couple months as I would expect that if this is NOT the solution, I'll be stalling again within a couple weeks tops.

I hope this helps with anyone experiencing these stalling issues.

Reactions: Backwoods
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is a very un-Honda like situation.

This is the kind of sloppy quality you would expect on a Tractor Supply SXS.

I would ask them to buy the machine back.

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
I posted this to another thread about the dying problem.

Two weeks since I replace stock battery with a larger ( physical size ) one with higher CCAs. This morning it is 16° and for the first time ever my pioneer started right up at this low temperature! Also; It has not died on me since the replacement. I’m hoping that I have resolved two issue at once, but I’m not convinced about the dying bit being permanent quite yet. Just an added note, the stock battery Honda put into my Pioneer 700 was the same size battery they put into my 2004 2 wheel drive Honda Rancher. How can they think a 4 wheel drive side by side with ES + EPS and an engine twice the size of the Rancher will function properly with the same battery?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
UPDATE: I decided to contact American Honda Motorsports (AHM) through the Customer Relations link on their website. I described the condition & situation having been to the dealership 3x with no resolution. (Emailed them on Sunday, they replied Monday - impressed.) I took the Pioneer to the dealer on Tuesday, got a call from the tech Wednesday. I notified AHM when I dropped the unit off at the dealer - they called the dealer & spoke to the tech right away. The condition identified was that the wiring coming from the stator was 'wicking' oil up the wire - inside the insulation - and causing a short at the connection or beyond. They had this same situation with another 700 in Wisconsin - not necessarily related to this location. The cause for the wicking was explained as my tepid riding habits - pretty slow, mostly riding around my property and I rarely exceed 20mph - 100 hours & only 463 miles. I leave it idling a lot as I load/unload firewood. I don't necessarily buy that explanation - i think it's a poorly designed or manufactured part.

The solution is to replace the stator but first applying some RTV/silicone at the wire connection at the stator. You'd think that this component - sitting in oil - would somehow consider that oil might travel up the wire but I guess not. So - the tech at the dealer is applying RTV at the connection on the stator. I know I am paying for the new stator, I will see if the dealer knocks some $ off the labor for the past attempts but I don't expect.

So - as it is the Holidays I don't have it back yet. If it stalls again I'll report back but I would expect that if it is to stall again, it will be quite some time assuming that this is the fix (I don't expect it to be a permanent fix, thought the tech did advise that they could check/reseal this every year or so.). I'll try to report back in a couple months as I would expect that if this is NOT the solution, I'll be stalling again within a couple weeks tops.

I'll ask again...was your machine doing the dash reboot when it stalled out?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Time to take it to another steelership fir a different set of eyes. There spinning there wheels there. Or cut your losses, trade it and get a P1 youll be way happier
Remmy very wise. its like a new rifle that won't shoot, unfortunately those new rifles that don't shoot get traded in and just move on. sometimes just have to accept the loss and go forward

Seeing a lot of bad stators solving similar issues and the stator is easy to check.....just saying.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Tepid, lol

I would expect wicking, not poorly designed, just is what it is.

If it wasn’t wicking - then I’d Ben concerned

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can anyone whose had the stalling/shutting off/"resetting" issue please post some information here for me to gather.

The following would be greatly appreciated:

Year
Miles
Any electrical modifications
When did the issue start
Repairs made to fix issue
Has the issue returned?

Thanks in advance
Note this is not related to anything official from Honda, just myself doing research.
How has your research done? Any updates?

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
I posted this to another thread about the dying problem.

Two weeks since I replace stock battery with a larger ( physical size ) one with higher CCAs. This morning it is 16° and for the first time ever my pioneer started right up at this low temperature! Also; It has not died on me since the replacement. I’m hoping that I have resolved two issue at once, but I’m not convinced about the dying bit being permanent quite yet. Just an added note, the stock battery Honda put into my Pioneer 700 was the same size battery they put into my 2004 2 wheel drive Honda Rancher. How can they think a 4 wheel drive side by side with ES + EPS and an engine twice the size of the Rancher will function properly with the same battery?
Jedarious: So what size battery did you put in? THX

J

Jedarious

Oct 17, 2021
Central WV
Ownership

1. 700-2
Jedarious: So what size battery did you put in? THX
  • Dimensions: (L) 6.89 in x (W) 3.43 in x (H) 6.10 in
  • Weight: 12.76 Lbs
  • CCA: 310
  • Voltage: 12V
  • Capacity (10 hours rate): 18AH
  • Charge Current (A): 1.8A
You have to cut out the plastic partition in the battery box for the bigger battery.

T

TJPSquirrel327

Nov 29, 2021
Minocqua, WI
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'll ask again...was your machine doing the dash reboot when it stalled out?
Sorry for the delayed response - the dash never went dark, it did completely 'light-up' but no specific engine fault shown. It appeared that the machine never fully lost power to the dash at least. I'm assuming that the short caused through the stator wire did cause the engine to stall, but that power to dash/accy's was not interrupted. Delay in getting the machine back = Holidays. I intend to update at some point if no issues, and for sure if it recurs. Thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!