Injection wires

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Bought a 2018 p1k5 I’ve just now put 97 miles on it. I keep seeing the injector wire problems. Is this a problem that all have? Certain years? Or just random? Do you need to go address the wires before there is any problems?

I’m new to the side by side world. Been a jeeper all my life (cj7). Took a whole lot to put down that kind of cheese for something like that when my Jeep can almost do the exact same things. But I jumped in and bought what I thought through weeks of research seemed to be the best ride for my style and family size. I couldn’t have. Limo like the ranger or can ams. I thought the 6 speed transmission was a good thing over the belt as well.

Which brings me to my next question. Seems like a like of clutch and reverse gear troubles. Are these problems because of hard riding or an actually design flaw? My style of riding is going to be putting around the neighborhood, gravel roads, and trails. I’m sure there will be some mud involved. As there was the first week I had it I hurried up and had to winch out. Are clutches and the gears that fragile or what?

Just starting to get concerned about my new purchase. I wanted something I didn’t have to worry about. I feel like I’m not getting that with the Honda. Just from what I’m seeing on forums and such.

DB44DC24 EE70 4FD1 9969 0A5CF5CD955B

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Bought a 2018 p1k5 I’ve just now put 97 miles on it. I keep seeing the injector wire problems. Is this a problem that all have? Certain years? Or just random? Do you need to go address the wires before there is any problems?

I’m new to the side by side world. Been a jeeper all my life (cj7). Took a whole lot to put down that kind of cheese for something like that when my Jeep can almost do the exact same things. But I jumped in and bought what I thought through weeks of research seemed to be the best ride for my style and family size. I couldn’t have. Limo like the ranger or can ams. I thought the 6 speed transmission was a good thing over the belt as well.

Which brings me to my next question. Seems like a like of clutch and reverse gear troubles. Are these problems because of hard riding or an actually design flaw? My style of riding is going to be putting around the neighborhood, gravel roads, and trails. I’m sure there will be some mud involved. As there was the first week I had it I hurried up and had to winch out. Are clutches and the gears that fragile or what?

Just starting to get concerned about my new purchase. I wanted something I didn’t have to worry about. I feel like I’m not getting that with the Honda. Just from what I’m seeing on forums and such.

View attachment 230412
I bought my 2018 1000-5 new in May 2018. Ive beat the s*** out of my machine and I've had almost zero problems. I changed 1 front wheel bearing at around 3200 miles. Both rear bearings around 4000 miles. Still haven't changed front passenger side bearing at 6200 miles. I changed the air filter at 4000 miles and the oil as the manual stated. Ive tore 3 axle boots in the last 2000 miles. I noticed I had passenger side upper a-arm with some play the other night while I was replacing the axle boot. I replaced it with a used upper a-arm i bought from a guys 2 years ago. I really slammed the front passenger side wheel during the club ride a couple of weeks ago(driver error). I thought I probably tore the a-arm tabs or junked a wheel when it happened. But after I inspected, I seen no damage. So I'm assuming the play is from that incident. I also overheated 3 times. 1 time Because the fan didn't come on due to a glitch in the ECU. The other 2 times, because the radiator was clogged with mud. I do have 2 injector plugs i keep in my machine that i bought from the club store, because I always plan for the worse. I love my machine. Unless it blows up in the near future, it's the best 20k I've spent on anything. The most fun I've had since I was 8 years old and my dad followed me around in his truck while I rode a Yamaha mx80 on the same trails I ride now.

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

View attachment 230412
You have to really try to burn up the clutches in anything post mid-2017 (that's when they started adding the updated clutch cover). If you bury it in the mud and just stand on the gas with the tires not moving, you'll burn them up. Even then, you'll get the red overheat light before you actually destroy the clutches. Most of the people I see burning up clutches are usually running 30"+ tires with no gear reduction in the mud. The reverse issue is from improperly adjusted cables or not coming to a complete stop when shifting.

Don't worry about your machine it'll be great, go out and enjoy it. Buy a good UHMW skid plate, a couple extra tie-rods, and let her eat. You'll be amazed at what these things will do.

Reactions: TripleB and Russ989
B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You have to really try to burn up the clutches in anything post mid-2017 (that's when they started adding the updated clutch cover). If you bury it in the mud and just stand on the gas with the tires not moving, you'll burn them up. Even then, you'll get the red overheat light before you actually destroy the clutches. Most of the people I see burning up clutches are usually running 30"+ tires with no gear reduction in the mud. The reverse issue is from improperly adjusted cables or not coming to a complete stop when shifting.

Don't worry about your machine it'll be great, go out and enjoy it. Buy a good UHMW skid plate, a couple extra tie-rods, and let her eat. You'll be amazed at what these things will do.

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Really like these answers! So the 28 super swampers aren’t to big or bad to hurt the machine? The mud I buried it in was thick peanut butter. Hit the hole in low and it just bogged down and started spinning tires. I stopped. Hit reverse with just spinning tires. Winched it out. So far I like it a lot. Hate that the injector wire plugs are a possible problem.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Really like these answers! So the 28 super swampers aren’t to big or bad to hurt the machine? The mud I buried it in was thick peanut butter. Hit the hole in low and it just bogged down and started spinning tires. I stopped. Hit reverse with just spinning tires. Winched it out. So far I like it a lot. Hate that the injector wire plugs are a possible problem.
You're fine on your tires. If the tires are spinning then you're okay, it's when you get stuck to the point that the tires won't turn that could cause an issue with the clutches if you keep mashing the throttle. The injector plug wire issue does suck, but it's an easy trail fix if you pick up a couple from the club store. If you have my kind of luck, you'll never need them if you buy them 🙂 but if you don't it'll go out tomorrow.

Reactions: TripleB
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If you haven't already, extend your vent lines.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are concerned with the injectors. Hit the forum store and buy 2 spares. Either install before they become an issue, or throw em in your glove box and address on the trail in/when it possibly happens. Don't let $40-$50 ruin your experience.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!