P1000 Inner Fender Access - Horn Install Location

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
EDIT for UPDATE! I pulled both fenders. Lots of room in there (for a sxs). Great place to stash items in my opinion. Installed a horn on each side.
Link to post #15 with photos.

Preview. How much room is behind this fender?
IMG 9994

More than you’d think!
IMG 0015

——————
Original post:

Sorry for the dumb newbie question but,

There seems to be a lot of room in the inner fender area between the front compartment, dash, and wheel well. I’d like to mount a horn in there as it would be out of the way and also protected from splash/mud.

Does anyone know how to access this area?

It looks to me like the front fender, door, and some other items would have to come off to get in there. Is that accurate?

If so then I don’t think it’s worth disassembling that much stuff to mount a horn or other accessories.

I did try searching for this topic with no luck before posting. If this has already been discussed please kindly drop me a link.

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio
scttwlsn45

scttwlsn45

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2024
Farmington, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I believe I’ve seen some winch installs where they access this area to put the solenoid in there and I believe you take the door off and pop out the clips. I also heard someone saying they’d taken there cup holder out to access this area on the passenger side

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed an air horn under the pax fender well. No need to take anything apart. Used a split piece of rubber heater hose around the tubing, and a hose clamp to attach it, very secure "vibration mount" and It is super loud. See this link for the horn:

And this link for the thread, see post #17, here:

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I installed an air horn under the pax fender well. No need to take anything apart. Used a split piece of rubber heater hose around the tubing, and a hose clamp to attach it, very secure "vibration mount" and It is super loud. See this link for the horn:

I have a similar air horn in my P1.
The only issue in your horn location is if you ride in mud especially @RRB TO, You will fill that baffle right up. If you dont much than your good.
I installed my air horn under the hood up front to keep that from happening. All depends on what the OP rides I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: JenElio
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry folks, had to go through 40 pages of my P1 build to find pics ugh….
My rig is at my cabin 3hrs away hard to just go out in the barn and snap a few🤣
So here is my original horn. My rig hasnt been that clean since i took that pic in 16’ 😂
You can see the location
IMG 0969

Dont have a great pic of the air horn but part of it . Its been on there since 18’
You can see it just to the left of the main battery and the Noco float charger. Its right under the hood and away from mud if you ride in rough trails like I do. I no longer have the Noam system. Totally different config in that pic and currant.
IMG 0970

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only issue in your horn location is if you ride in mud especially @RRB TO, You will fill that baffle right up. If you dont much than your good.
I installed my air horn under the hood up front to keep that from happening. All depends on what the OP rides I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
Mud is rare in NV. If you find a puddle, it's already been claimed by half a dozen ducks and two mustangs.

The horn is inboard of the tire tread, so not in the direct line-of-fire.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mud is rare in NV. If you find a puddle, it's already been claimed by half a dozen ducks and two mustangs.

The horn is inboard of the tire tread, so not in the direct line-of-fire.
Kinda figured. Good spot for it then

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe I’ve seen some winch installs where they access this area to put the solenoid in there and I believe you take the door off and pop out the clips. I also heard someone saying they’d taken there cup holder out to access this area on the passenger side

I think I’ve read that thread as well. Lots of info but doesn’t get specific on what needs to happen. I was hoping someone had an easier method than what I’m scoping it out to be.

I believe that’s the horn I purchased, or it’s at least one just like it.

I had read that thread and was keeping that in mind as a backup plan. It looks to be a great way to install but I do have some concerns about mud. The horns are fairly cheap so if it dies after a couple years it’s not a huge issue.

I’ll take a look under the hood too. Now that I’ve got the horn in hand I’ll poke around to see where it might fit. Had thought about doing a secondary battery but not sure we really need one as our biggest accessory draw is the radio. And it’s not on unless actively riding. So that may provide a decent mounting option for the horn.

Funny thing is, I used the TurnPro kit with a horn but had trouble finding a spot I liked due to the little bracket that was required. So used that horn on my mom’s 700 and installed a motorcycle horn on ours. Well, it’s a bit squeaky and I’m wanting something a little more “fun”. So here we are. 😂 We’ll end up with 2 horns depending on the circumstances. Yeah, I’m goofy.
Had a Ooga horn on our 700 that was fun. Made the wife roll her eyes which is always an added bonus.

We do deal with mud. Nasty sticky red clay mud that gets everywhere. So inside the tire area is possible but not ideal in my opinion.

I’m sorry I didn’t have any photos for the original post. The cavity behind this circled area is where I’d like to access. Seems like a decent amount of “protected” space back there that’s just going to waste. But as I said earlier, if a large section of the sxs needs disassembled to access then I don’t feel it’s worth the hassle. Much easier to take my chances with the mud and see if it survives.
IMG 9976

For anyone curious, that’s a key on relay for the accessory fuse box. Both of these are attached using 3M double sided automotive tape.

I also make things harder on myself than needed. For some reason I don’t like to drill holes or cut the plastic and will go to great lengths to keep from it. Life would be much easier if I wasn’t so weird.

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had thought about doing a secondary battery but not sure we really need one as our biggest accessory draw is the radio
To be honest with you, if your have anything more than a Radio weather they are on at the same time or not, you should get a second battery. Main reason is that these pioneers like good voltage at all times especially for the DCT. You really want to keep that main battery for the std rig operations only nothing else. If you dont, it will be fine for a while but all it takes is a nice little voltage drop and it will happen when you are in the middle of nowhere.
Its just good practice and insurance

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To be honest with you, if your have anything more than a Radio weather they are on at the same time or not, you should get a second battery. Main reason is that these pioneers like good voltage at all times especially for the DCT. You really want to keep that main battery for the std rig operations only nothing else. If you dont, it will be fine for a while but all it takes is a nice little voltage drop and it will happen when you are in the middle of nowhere.
Its just good practice and insurance
It’s the middle of nowhere thing that concerns me. We typically ride solo…

Thing is, as I thought about this more recently, none of the add-ons that would be on the secondary battery are current hogs except the radio. We have a USB charger and turnpro signal kit. The signals are only on briefly. We did a LED add-on from the club store but it’s fed directly from the original harness so that would remain on the factory battery. The winch was factory installed so same there (although it’s never been used yet).

We do carry a portable battery jumper which would hopefully get us out of a bind.

The secondary battery isn’t ever used for primary purposes right? So even if the main dies, we couldn’t just run from the secondary. I’m guessing in that case I’d just have to McGuyver a way to use the second battery and get us home.

So what’s the benefit of a second battery in my case?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It’s the middle of nowhere thing that concerns me. We typically ride solo…

Thing is, as I thought about this more recently, none of the add-ons that would be on the secondary battery are current hogs except the radio. We have a USB charger and turnpro signal kit. The signals are only on briefly. We did a LED add-on from the club store but it’s fed directly from the original harness so that would remain on the factory battery. The winch was factory installed so same there (although it’s never been used yet).

We do carry a portable battery jumper which would hopefully get us out of a bind.

The secondary battery isn’t ever used for primary purposes right? So even if the main dies, we couldn’t just run from the secondary. I’m guessing in that case I’d just have to McGuyver a way to use the second battery and get us home.

So what’s the benefit of a second battery in my case?
No its not used for primary purposes. You would have to Jerry rig something to use it for that.

You have a winch. That on top of just having any accessories is reason enough to have one. If your on your own and your main batt is getting a tad weak and u dont know it and u have to use that winch and work it hard (NoHmo) you risk killing that primary. Its like I said in my earlier post, with these pioneers its just good insurance and easy to do plus they like full clean power to operate at its full capacity. If u had just a radio and nothing else installed, sure take the chance. But you have some stuff and will have more, we always do in the end. Like I always say…
Buy once cry once😉

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The winch was factory installed so same there (although it’s never been used yet).
You said it “yet” 🤣 just gave yourself the kiss of death lol

When you do a second battery, you will have to move that to the second battery as well as your other stuff. Id just move the power to that fuse box you have to come right off it. You will need the True Isolator kit from the club store to get yourself started.

Reactions: RacinJasonWV
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guess I’d never considered moving the factory harness for the winch. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Remington
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guess I’d never considered moving the factory harness for the winch. 🤦‍♂️

You should definitely do that. If you ever need the winch, you sure don't want it to take the main battery down. The winch can pull near 200 amps, even spooling a slack line it's drawing near 30 amps. There are doubtless times when you can't run the engine during a recovery, and even if you could run the engine, at idle the alternator won't be putting out nearly enough power to make much difference (at 5,000 rpm, output is 50 amps and part of that goes to running engine etc.).

Ideally, the chassis battery is designed with thin plates and more of them for starting and is rated in CCA (cold cranking amps) . . . but that's only for 15 seconds. The Aux battery is better to be a deep cycle type, thicker plates and able to deal with delivering power for longer periods.

Bottom line is winches are power hogs, and battery power on our SXS's is on the marginal side.

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so I ended up taking off the doors and fenders for access to the area. Part of the initial hesitation was that I wasn’t able to truly assess the situation due to mud. It was still muddy from a nice day around Christmas but had been too cold since then to spray it off.

I’m sure many of you already know, but it’s simple to get those parts off in just a couple minutes. I’ll try to get some information uploaded later about the process and share photos since I wasn’t able to find any before diving in. It may help someone in the future.

There’s a ton of room hiding in there by sxs standards! Good place to stick items that won’t need accessed. I’m weird so ended up installing the train horn on one side and then put the ooga horn (take off from our previous 700) on the other. I like to annoy my wife.

I’m still working on some other things so haven’t gotten it back together yet.

Here’s a few photos in the mean time.

Passenger side
IMG 9999
IMG 0001

Drivers side
IMG 0002

IMG 0003

Train horn (yes, I know the horn angle isn’t per instructions)
IMG 0006

Ooga horn
IMG 0015

Used the hose clamp method @bumperm shared in his thread. Thank you for that!

Ooga horn didn’t have the slot so made one and used a large zip tie, and another around the throat to keep it stable. So far so good without a test drive. 😂

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok, so I needed up taking off the doors and fenders for access to the area. Part of the initial hesitation was that I wasn’t able to truly assess the situation due to mud. It was still muddy from a nice day around Christmas but had been too cold since then to spray it off.

I’m sure many of you already know, but it’s simple to get those parts off in just a couple minutes. I’ll try to get some information uploaded later about the process and share photos since I wasn’t able to find any before diving in. It may help someone in the future.

There’s a ton of room hiding in there by sxs standards! Good place to stick items that won’t need accessed. I’m weird so ended up installing the train horn on one side and then put the ooga horn (take off from our previous 700) on the other. I like to watch my wife roll her eyes.

I’m still working on some other things so haven’t gotten it back together yet.

Here’s a few photos in the mean time.

Passenger side
View attachment 421760

looks awesome - if the horn pukes after time, cheap to replace.

I also carry a jump box, have had a winch on every itv/sxs - and there have been many - and never considered a 2nd battery. ive had to use it when machine was on side - engine off - get rigged up , winch- get upright, start engine - no issues, just leave machine running if yanking someone else out and I use a snatch block when I can to double up the pulling force

I get it - running a winch on a battery for 20 minutes straight with engine off will drain it - has to - its physics, but if you are on your roof, down a hill and need to winch for a half hour - the secondary battery will be dead as well - and u have bigger issues than energy storage capacity

the 2nd battery is good insurance though - many have them, ride alone, carry a jumper clamp just in case - kudos, ive loaned out that damn jump box out many times - "oh, didn't think partying along the trail with jams turned up would draw it down that much" lol

View attachment 421761

Drivers side
View attachment 421762
View attachment 421763

Train horn (yes, I know the horn angle isn’t per instructions)
View attachment 421764

Ooga horn
View attachment 421765

Used the hose clamp method @bumperm shared in his thread. Thank you for that!

Ooga horn didn’t have the slot so made one and used a large zip tie, and another around the throat to keep it stable. So far so good without a test drive. 😂

Reactions: RacinJasonWV
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
looks awesome - if the horn pukes after time, cheap to replace.

I also carry a jump box, have had a winch on every itv/sxs - and there have been many - and never considered a 2nd battery. ive had to use it when machine was on side - engine off - get rigged up , winch- get upright, start engine - no issues, just leave machine running if yanking someone else out and I use a snatch block when I can to double up the pulling force

I get it - running a winch on a battery for 20 minutes straight with engine off will drain it - has to - its physics, but if you are on your roof, down a hill and need to winch for a half hour - the secondary battery will be dead as well - and u have bigger issues than energy storage capacity

the 2nd battery is good insurance though - many have them, ride alone, carry a jumper clamp just in case - kudos, ive loaned out that damn jump box out many times - "oh, didn't think partying along the trail with jams turned up would draw it down that much" lol
Thanks for the response. Yeah that’s what I figured about the horn as well. The mounting positions are still limited and with how loud it is I wanted to make sure it pointed away from the cab a bit anyhow.

I’ve actually been making plans for a 2nd battery. We just ride alone too much to chance it. We carry the jumper box for insurance but my uncle had to get towed home with a dead battery on his Ranger. The jumper boxes we had on hand must not have been strong enough to keep the engine running. 14 miles home being dragged by our 700. 😂 At least it was backroads and not rough trails.

I always carry a Gerber so the hope is if the primary poops out then I could at least move some wires around and get us home using the secondary battery.

Realistically we won’t really be putting much load on the second battery. Every light on the buggy is LED. The front and rear light bars are plug and play from the club store so those will still be on the factory wiring and primary battery. I do like the ACC/OFF/ON switch I’ve been seeing some guys use for the secondary battery. At least that way we could jam, charge our phone, or use the dome lights with key off if we desired. And wouldn’t have to worry about the primary battery in the process.

Getting ready to button this thing back up. If anyone wants some specific photos let me know quickly and I’ll grab them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!