Interesting potential future UTV design directions

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just got done doing a survey about UTV purchases.

One of the things that caught my eye/attention is that some of the possible future options that they asked if I might be interested in:

-ABS
-A/C
-Active Suspension controls
-Manually lockable AWD system
-Stability controls
-Integrated vehicle information system with GPS systems

With the recent introduction of Honda's i4WD system, we might be in for a really substantial paradigm shift in what we currently see as a SXS.

Can you imagine the price of a SXS with ABS, Air conditioning and Stability Controls/Active Suspension?!?!?:eek:

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I just got done doing a survey about UTV purchases.

One of the things that caught my eye/attention is that some of the possible future options that they asked if I might be interested in:

-ABS
-A/C
-Active Suspension controls
-Manually lockable AWD system
-Stability controls
-Integrated vehicle information system with GPS systems

With the recent introduction of Honda's i4WD system, we might be in for a really substantial paradigm shift in what we currently see as a SXS.

Can you imagine the price of a SXS with ABS, Air conditioning and Stability Controls/Active Suspension?!?!?:eek:

I really think this will be the way it will go, I've often thought when I see a new option in a vehicle "what the heck would I need that for", then I get it get used to it and when I'm driving something that doesn't have that option I think, where the heck is the so an so.

That's how manufacturers raise the prices of the new vehicles, put things in that you don't really need but are convenient we get spoiled and like it. Cable companies do it also. How about campers? Same thing. These comfort features increase sales and profit.

So the more they make these things like cars the more newbies they'll sell to, increasing sales to new customers that haven't thought about off roading before, in theory anyway. Next up for Honda touchscreens like what Polaris is doing.

Reactions: JTW
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I really think this will be the way it will go, I've often thought when I see a new option in a vehicle "what the heck would I need that for", then I get it get used to it and when I'm driving something that doesn't have that option I think, where the heck is the so an so.

That's how manufacturers raise the prices of the new vehicles, put things in that you don't really need but are convenient we get spoiled and like it. Cable companies do it also. How about campers? Same thing. These comfort features increase sales and profit.

So the more they make these things like cars the more newbies they'll sell to, increasing sales to new customers that haven't thought about off roading before, in theory anyway. Next up for Honda touchscreens like what Polaris is doing.

I understand what you are saying but I doubt people will jump on it like you think. I seriously thought about not buying my ride when I did. Solely on price because I wondered if I would use it enough to justify the cost. When you have $15k tied up in something you use maybe every other weekend is that crazy? I just don't see how I could dump any more money than that into a hobby. I'm a tight wad so I may be in the minority. However I'm use to that because I pay cash for everything but houses Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I understand what you are saying but I doubt people will jump on it like you think. I seriously thought about not buying my ride when I did. Solely on price because I wondered if I would use it enough to justify the cost. When you have $15k tied up in something you use maybe every other weekend is that crazy? I just don't see how I could dump any more money than that into a hobby. I'm a tight wad so I may be in the minority. However I'm use to that because I pay cash for everything but houses Lol.

I can see your point, it could price some of out of a range. We live in an era that tech is expected. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Airbags and park assist are next. I don't get it.

Me either CP, part the reason I love these things is rawness. You and the out doors, 4 wheel drive, and some tunes. I don't want a d@mn luxury car in the woods. I don't want a computer thinking for me. Hell that is part of the fun, testing my skills and going places others won't or can't go!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Me either CP, part the reason I love these things is rawness. You and the out doors, 4 wheel drive, and some tunes. I don't want a d@mn luxury car in the woods. I don't want a computer thinking for me. Hell that is part of the fun, testing my skills and going places others won't or can't go!

I just don't understand! It's funny my Cummins truck requires three wires to run, a positive and a negative to the starter and a positive wire to the fuel shut off solenoid to actually kill it. It runs with no power whatsoever. I specifically bought that truck to eliminate all the bs people have problems with and that's why it holds it's resale value so well. People come back to one when they can't afford the shops anymore.
I buy Honda for reliability in the exact same way but at some point...? s*** I'd rather my truck break down then my sxs because at least I'm on a road rather then 30 miles out in the wilderness with my family and I don't care what company builds it, foreign or domestic you will have more problems with electrical controls period! It's going to require diagnostics on everything. Bad thing is utility vehicles don't require same standards as automobiles with obd on cars. Luckily Honda builds in dash indicators at this point. I'm full blooded Honda but at some point I may be forced to rethink that. I'd rather have a rig break down 10 times that I can fix then once that I can't and it's in the shop for 6 months of payments, that's what many make fun of Polaris for. It's going to become the norm. I don't need advancements in rocket science on my sxs I need DEPENDABILITY! You look at old Honda quads they go forever, hold huge value because they are sought after. I guess even with Honda people are going to be choosing pretty shiny stickers over reliability down the road I'm just confused here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigermark and JTW
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just don't understand! It's funny my Cummins truck requires three wires to run, a positive and a negative to the starter and a positive wire to the fuel shut off solenoid to actually kill it. It runs with no power whatsoever. I specifically bought that truck to eliminate all the bs people have problems with and that's why it holds its value better then any other truck. People come back to one when they can't afford the shops anymore.
I buy Honda for reliability in the same way but at some point...? s*** I'd rather my truck break down then my sxs because at least I'm on a road rather then 30 miles out in the wilderness with my family and I don't care what company builds it, foreign or domestic you will have more problems with electrical controls period! I'm full blooded Honda but at some point I may be forced to rethink that. I'd rather have a rig break down 10 times that I can fix then once that I can't and it's in the shop for 6 months of payments, that's what many make fun of Polaris for. It's going to become the norm. I don't need advancements in rocket science on my sxs I need DEPENDABILITY! I guess even with Honda people are going to be choosing pretty shiny stickers over reliability down the road I'm just confused here.

Nailed it buddy me and you are cut from the same cloth!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nailed it buddy me and you are cut from the same cloth!

Well sorry for my rant but I've been trying to hold back on this and even been deleting a couple things but s*** I just want my sxs to run that's why I buy Honda! It's NOT going to continue with so much added crap. Ok rant over. I'm sorry but I'm leaving this one.

advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well sorry for my rant but I've been trying to hold back on this and even been deleting a couple things but s*** I just want my sxs to run that's why I buy Honda! It's NOT going to continue with so much added crap. Ok rant over. I'm sorry but I'm leaving this one.

Haha I literally feel the same way. My Honda isn't as fancy as my buddy's RZRs but they always joke if no one makes it out of the woods mine will. That's why I bought the thing. I'd rather spend my time modding the thing to my liking than fixing problems. If I want fancy it'll be on something I spend time in daily. Not something I play with in the woods. If i had much more money in it than I do, I wouldn't have as much fun as I'm having on these crazy @ss trails Lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Me too!

Reactions: LandPioneer
J

JTW

This is part of what had delayed me in the side by sides.. why pay 16k plus and then add a bunch of crap for a toy that's trying to be a Jeep.. when I already have jeeps??? If we're real honest.. they're big, becoming more and more electrical and using more and more automotive tech.. My Rubicon is just as capable in its own right and can also be driven on the road.

Kinda puts in perspective how good we have all really have it! Whether you're making payments or paid cash for your Honda we're dropping a lot of $$$ on toys! Seemed a fitting reflection given the holiday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't know that this is something that Honda is doing. This survey was from an independent company.

I have my suspicions that it may have been directed by Can-Am based on some of the questions asked and it also asked why I didn't purchase a Can-Am product or Arctic Cat but didn't ask about Yamaha, Polaris or Kawasaki even though I had marked that I had considered all of those as well.

I guess it could have been AC as well but I don't really picture them on the leading edge of new developments. Especially on the electronic gizmo side of things where Can Am seems to like to be.

I just was pointing out that Honda has now thrown the i4WD hat into the ring and Polaris has the A/C unit and it looks like someone out there is looking to take it several steps further.

Personally, I don't want any of that. I just want a reliable machine with a dumping bed that I can take around on some trails here and there and use around the house/farm.

That was one of the reasons that I scratched the Can Am Defender off my list originally because of the reputation for their "creature comforts" to become "creature features" and turn a machine into an electronics nightmare.

But I do believe the writing is on the wall for the big companies flagship units to look nothing like what we current accept as a SXS unit.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't know that this is something that Honda is doing. This survey was from an independent company.

I have my suspicions that it may have been directed by Can-Am based on some of the questions asked and it also asked why I didn't purchase a Can-Am product or Arctic Cat but didn't ask about Yamaha, Polaris or Kawasaki even though I had marked that I had considered all of those as well.

I guess it could have been AC as well but I don't really picture them on the leading edge of new developments. Especially on the electronic gizmo side of things where Can Am seems to like to be.

I just was pointing out that Honda has now thrown the i4WD hat into the ring and Polaris has the A/C unit and it looks like someone out there is looking to take it several steps further.

Personally, I don't want any of that. I just want a reliable machine with a dumping bed that I can take around on some trails here and there and use around the house/farm.

That was one of the reasons that I scratched the Can Am Defender off my list originally because of the reputation for their "creature comforts" to become "creature features" and turn a machine into an electronics nightmare.

But I do believe the writing is on the wall for the big companies flagship units to look nothing like what we current accept as a SXS unit.

Yep I have a Bronco that I can ride comfortably off-road but I prefer the Pioneer. Mainly because it somewhat reminds me of my four wheeler days. Except my wife can ride beside me, I have more protection, plus I can listen to my tunes. I feel more safe in the SxS. I like the feel of the vehicle plus it tests my driving skills differently. I like them the way they are, if I wanted another SUV or Truck that's what I'd buy. I'd prefer they leave a SxS in a different category than a vehicle we drive on a road.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Guys I'm not necessarily saying the system on the 17 isn't going to be ok I'm simply saying first of all was it truly needed or just added tech? Since we haven't had testing yet who knows. Honda wouldn't purposely build crap we know that. They are a massive company that builds multiple quality items.
What my complaint is about is more what's coming down the road. I don't think building a car for off road at double the price and problems is what's needed. Again back to keep it simple stupid. Maybe some others want a 40k base sxs that is full of technology but then again we've all seen low mileage vehicles that require decent amounts of cash to fix upfront and massive later which effects resale so it's even more cash out. Is it worth it? Maybe to some. I just hope they keep multiple trim levels so those of us that can't afford shop time have a choice.
I'm sure this'll be happening with other manufacturers so it's not one sided but I'm with Honda and will stay here so I could care less what the others do I just want Honda dependability to stay put.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yeah - I hear ya.

I bought Honda cause I wanted the machine that is least likely to leave me stranded 50 miles away from camp.

But I dont want any brand where the dilithium crystals can fuse and cause the quantum field matrix to destabilize. As we all know, when that happens the plasma reactor can send an overload to the I-4WD. So what happens if you forgot your tricorder?

Tech can be great sometimes it can’t be fixed with duct tape.

J

JTW

Yeah - I hear ya.

I bought Honda cause I wanted the machine that is least likely to leave me stranded 50 miles away from camp.

But I dont want any brand where the dilithium crystals can fuse and cause the quantum field matrix to destabilize. As we all know, when that happens the plasma reactor can send an overload to the I-4WD. So what happens if you forgot your tricorder?

Tech can be great sometimes it can’t be fixed with duct tape.
Bhahahaha!! You just majorly nerded out on us!!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!