Talon Is my motor hurt?

P

Puller810

Apr 14, 2019
MICHIGAN
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I had a miswired fan, light came on. Took it to the dealer to have it repaired. No problem, Honda says for the inconvenience we'll cover you're first service. Awesome, so the dealer does the service and my wife picks the machine up. Sits in the garage all weekend till today, its finally nice out and my wife takes it out back to check on her feeders. Runs it around a bit calls me and said it stalled but restarted so she parked it. I get home put some fuel in it, it was a 1/2 a tank but what the heck. Take it out back, its running fine. Go around a corner oil light flashes, I shut it down immediately. Check the oil, not on the dipstick. Thread the level gauge in its barely touching the stick, evidently the dealer did not reference the service manual and understand how Honda checks the oil.
Manual says if light comes on engine damage can happen. So unhappy right now. I'll be calling the dealer in the morning.

If this was you're machine what would you want done to make it right?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I had a miswired fan, light came on. Took it to the dealer to have it repaired. No problem, Honda says for the inconvenience we'll cover you're first service. Awesome, so the dealer does the service and my wife picks the machine up. Sits in the garage all weekend till today, its finally nice out and my wife takes it out back to check on her feeders. Runs it around a bit calls me and said it stalled but restarted so she parked it. I get home put some fuel in it, it was a 1/2 a tank but what the heck. Take it out back, its running fine. Go around a corner oil light flashes, I shut it down immediately. Check the oil, not on the dipstick. Thread the level gauge in its barely touching the stick, evidently the dealer did not reference the service manual and understand how Honda checks the oil.
Manual says if light comes on engine damage can happen. So unhappy right now. I'll be calling the dealer in the morning.

It will be fine.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Be nice if they credit you an extended warranty. Be nice and explain your extremely worried. But I'm sure it's fine. These things will basically save themselves I believe.

H

HondaTech

Oil should be between the two lines after sitting 2-3 minutes from a full 3-5 minute warm-up.

Reactions: sharp
H

hooligan-adv

Mar 19, 2019
Hannibal, MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it was hitting the stick when you screwed it in you'll probably be fine, still uncool of them not to double and triple check. All DCT Honda's are a pain.

Reactions: sharp
P

Puller810

Apr 14, 2019
MICHIGAN
Ownership

1. Talon X
I called, tech couldn't remember how much he put in. He let it set all day before checking the oil. It was 2 quarts low. I normally service my own vehicles however this was a free service. I went through and checked all the other fluids to make sure they were correctly filled.
The dealership gave me a free service kit because of the issue. Put a hundred hard miles on yesterday with no issues.

Reactions: sharp and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!