P1000 Is that a puddle of oil under my Honda?

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was carrying groceries in from the car about an hour ago and noticed a trail of liquid coming from under my 1k5. I used the scientific test of running my finger through the trail to determine that it was oil. So, I climb under it to investigate and discover that the source is the engine drain plug. It was about 4 turns loose. I had my machine in last week for my 100 mile service and got it back on Friday morning. Had it out yesterday for a day on the trails. I didn't notice any oil on the garage floor yesterday and didn't see any on the trailer after we got back yesterday evening. I am guessing it was loose and when I pulled it off the trailer and into the garage it loosed just enough to start leaking. I suppose the lesson here is always double check to be sure all your plugs are tight before and after a day of running your machine. Just glad I didn't have an issue while we were out yesterday. If I had lost the plug on a trail and ran the engine dry, I would have been remarkably PO'ed.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you told the dealer about it? I would call to let them know that they made a slip.

Sent from my iPad 7G

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bet they didn't replace the washer on the drain plug.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Bet they didn't replace the washer on the drain plug.
Yep, same with mine. They didn't change the washer and I had a puddle under it after the first service. They came and got it, fixed it, and brought it back. So I can't complain about the service, plus I think it was the first one they did.

Reactions: jasontjames
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was carrying groceries in from the car about an hour ago and noticed a trail of liquid coming from under my 1k5. I used the scientific test of running my finger through the trail to determine that it was oil. So, I climb under it to investigate and discover that the source is the engine drain plug. It was about 4 turns loose. I had my machine in last week for my 100 mile service and got it back on Friday morning. Had it out yesterday for a day on the trails. I didn't notice any oil on the garage floor yesterday and didn't see any on the trailer after we got back yesterday evening. I am guessing it was loose and when I pulled it off the trailer and into the garage it loosed just enough to start leaking. I suppose the lesson here is always double check to be sure all your plugs are tight before and after a day of running your machine. Just glad I didn't have an issue while we were out yesterday. If I had lost the plug on a trail and ran the engine dry, I would have been remarkably PO'ed.
Your next oil should be free. That's why I do my own oil changes then it's done right.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your next oil should be free. That's why I do my own oil changes then it's done right.
This is why I also change my own oil. Honda dealer told me that the first service had to be performed by them though. I understand their reasoning with that but I will be checking behind them. Thanks for the heads up.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Had to huh? That's funny. My dealer hasn't said that to me on the two pioneers I bought from them.

Is this due to a special warranty or something?

Sent from my iPad 7G

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had to huh? That's funny. My dealer hasn't said that to me on the two pioneers I bought from them.

Is this due to a special warranty or something?

Sent from my iPad 7G
Don't Know for sure. I did get the 3 year extended warranty though. I guess it is so they can inspect the machine and make necessary adjustments and pocket a little more of my money LOL. I have no problem with this as long as they do the job correctly.

Reactions: joeymt33
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is why I also change my own oil. Honda dealer told me that the first service had to be performed by them though. I understand their reasoning with that but I will be checking behind them. Thanks for the heads up.
If it "had" to be performed by them, legally they can't charge you for it.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If it "had" to be performed by them, legally they can't charge you for it.
Well I am not a lawyer thank God. LOL So I would not know how that works but lets face it these dealerships all put their own spin on things. I myself would prefer to have a competent service tech look at the machine for the first service and am more than happy to pay what I agreed to pay, but I will also expect the service to be performed correctly. I feel confident after talking to the service tech at my dealership that it will be. He seemed like a very professional young man.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Id rather do it myself for that very reason. It's not a money thing just peace of mind. I cringed watching 20yr olds mount n balance my tires at Walmart lol

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I absolutely agree with doing the work yourself. Best way to ensure you are getting quality work is to do it yourself (assuming that you are competent to do the work). I have changed the oil in every vehicle I have ever owned. This is my first sxs and I decided to have the dealer do the first service just to let an "expert" have eyes on it for the initial service. As I get more comfortable with the mechanical systems of the machine I will do the work myself. Saves money and helps satisfy my need to know things are being done correctly.

I called the dealer on it yesterday. The service manager mentioned the crush washer and that it is spec'd to only be tightened to 15 lb/ft. He advised me to run the machine for 20 minutes and see if it leaked again after I tightened the plug. He said that the crush washer may have failed.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be making a call to the dealer in the morning. For $416, I want a good amount of attention to detail.
For 416. you got a deal. Just took my 1000 deluxe in for 100 mile service, quoted me between 650 to 700. I thought they all had same 100 mile service deal??? They all charge same basic hour rate plus parts ?

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For 416. you got a deal. Just took my 1000 deluxe in for 100 mile service, quoted me between 650 to 700. I thought they all had same 100 mile service deal??? They all charge same basic hour rate plus parts ?

The first dealer I called tried to charge me $505 plus tax for my first service, but the second and third went to $290 plus tax, all for the same list of performed services.Gotta be careful with the dealerships. I too would usually do all my own service work, but the possibility of warranty issues within the next year worries me. After the first year and if I have no issues, I probably wont renew my warranty and start doing my own services.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The first dealer I called tried to charge me $505 plus tax for my first service, but the second and third went to $290 plus tax, all for the same list of performed services.Gotta be careful with the dealerships. I too would usually do all my own service work, but the possibility of warranty issues within the next year worries me. After the first year and if I have no issues, I probably wont renew my warranty and start doing my own services.
My first service was quoted at $260.00 and they wanted me to go about 150 miles before I brought it in. Taking it in next Tuesday. Called and got my appointment today.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!