P500 Is the P5 right for me?

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I am contemplating buying a P5. Help me make a decision. First a little about me:

I am in my late 50’s (good health). I will use the machine primarily for trail riding, although I have a rather large driveway that I may want to plow with it eventually.

I currently have a 10 yo Honda Foreman. I am pleased with, and a 2001 Polaris Explorer that is probably nearing the end of its useful life.

My plan would be to buy the P5 so that my wife and I could ride SxS - when we ride now, she usually just rides on back of Foreman. I think she would like the SxS experience, but sticker shock is going to scare her. I’d either fix up my Polaris, or drop it from the inventory.

I think the P5 would be the perfect solution, but would want to add wench, windshield, cab heater, and bigger tires. I have heard folks talk about WE shocks too. Looking for something that will make wifey comfortable on the trail.

By the time I do all of those upgrades, would I be looking at the same price as a Pioneer 700? I am partial to Honda’s because of their reputation. I’m not the most mechanically inclined, and I go out in places (bear country) where I can’t afford to not get back.

Also, I was thinking about buying used, but apparently waited too long. There were several low mileage P5’s on Craigslist and Facebook recently, but they have all been snapped up. Haven’t seen anything new posted in a while. Is this typical. The only one left has been there for a while, and I suspect there is a reason. Do these things (used) usually go like hot cakes?

Any tips/suggestions? Getting impatient. Ready to ride. :)

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I have had my 500 almost exactly a year and have a little over 700 miles on it. I got mine after the wife told me she was not riding on the back of my Rancher again. The ride such as it is with the 500 is much better than that. Really for you to decide you need to drive both. Then pick what suits the both of you best. A good friend has a 700 and I have driven it a fair amount and it is a nice machine. I picked the 500 because of it size mostly. It fit my present trailer, it was not much bigger than my Rancher, rode better, easier on my arthritic knees and legs and gets through the thick woods where I deer hunt easy. They are not for everyone admittedly. It suits us almost perfectly.
Take your wife on the test drives. I did and she said we got to have one of those. Done deal!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
You stated that after you add all the upgrades you would be close to the 700 price but I assume you will do all the same upgrades on the 700 except for the shocks so I don’t know if that’s a valid comparison in price. Also if I was to buy a 700 I would go for the deluxe to get the power steering and paddle shifters and that adds to the cost. I like the 500 a lot but the 700 will have more room and ride better. It’s a tough decision for sure. Both the 500 and 700 are great machines I think you will be happy with both. If you do decide on the 500, bigger tires and wheel spacers help out the ride a lot.

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I have had my 500 almost exactly a year and have a little over 700 miles on it. I got mine after the wife told me she was not riding on the back of my Rancher again. The ride such as it is with the 500 is much better than that. Really for you to decide you need to drive both. Then pick what suits the both of you best. A good friend has a 700 and I have driven it a fair amount and it is a nice machine. I picked the 500 because of it size mostly. It fit my present trailer, it was not much bigger than my Rancher, rode better, easier on my arthritic knees and legs and gets through the thick woods where I deer hunt easy. They are not for everyone admittedly. It suits us almost perfectly.
Take your wife on the test drives. I did and she said we got to have one of those. Done deal!

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
You stated that after you add all the upgrades you would be close to the 700 price but I assume you will do all the same upgrades on the 700 except for the shocks so I don’t know if that’s a valid comparison in price. Also if I was to buy a 700 I would go for the deluxe to get the power steering and paddle shifters and that adds to the cost. I like the 500 a lot but the 700 will have more room and ride better. It’s a tough decision for sure. Both the 500 and 700 are great machines I think you will be happy with both. If you do decide on the 500, bigger tires and wheel spacers help out the ride a lot.

Thanks. Does the 700 have the same stock tires as the 500? Should they be upgraded too?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My advice would be don't buy the 500 just because of the price, it has to be for its size. The 700 will have more room, ride better, more power and more stability. You'll end up sinking money into either one of them on upgrades. The P5 just gets you into places the others can't. ;)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Similar age and atv history. Got the P500 for a dependable machine for exploring 50 inch width restricted trails together at slower speeds, although she sometimes likes to drive her Rancher atv and follow. Just switching to larger tires run at the lower end of psi range helped smooth out trails. P500 is a good basic work and play machine for the entry level price point, and many improvements can be made, but they can add up. Liking the easy in/out bench seat. The 1-5 th gear range is very capable on trails.

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks. Good recommendations, but you gotta know who you’re dealing with. Wife would never get past the price if I took her in for a test drive. However, if I bought one, and she realized how
much better experience it was, shed appreciate the upgrade. That’s why I’d consider a gently used machine, but they seem hard to come by. Apparently Honda owners are pretty committed to their purchases.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I am contemplating buying a P5. Help me make a decision. First a little about me:

I am in my late 50’s (good health). I will use the machine primarily for trail riding, although I have a rather large driveway that I may want to plow with it eventually.

I currently have a 10 yo Honda Foreman. I am pleased with, and a 2001 Polaris Explorer that is probably nearing the end of its useful life.

My plan would be to buy the P5 so that my wife and I could ride SxS - when we ride now, she usually just rides on back of Foreman. I think she would like the SxS experience, but sticker shock is going to scare her. I’d either fix up my Polaris, or drop it from the inventory.

I think the P5 would be the perfect solution, but would want to add wench, windshield, cab heater, and bigger tires. I have heard folks talk about WE shocks too. Looking for something that will make wifey comfortable on the trail.

By the time I do all of those upgrades, would I be looking at the same price as a Pioneer 700? I am partial to Honda’s because of their reputation. I’m not the most mechanically inclined, and I go out in places (bear country) where I can’t afford to not get back.

Also, I was thinking about buying used, but apparently waited too long. There were several low mileage P5’s on Craigslist and Facebook recently, but they have all been snapped up. Haven’t seen anything new posted in a while. Is this typical. The only one left has been there for a while, and I suspect there is a reason. Do these things (used) usually go like hot cakes?

The best part about a sxs is being comfortable in the cold and rain. I have 8,000 miles on my 500 and just have a roof and windshield and stay really dry and it’s a lot safer than an atv with 2 people. I think the 500 is more bulletproof than the 700.

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How long are y'alls legs?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
BUY A USED ONE . THEY ALWAYS TURN UP . IF YOU DONT NEED 50" , I WOULD SURE TRY THE 700 . MORE POWER , MORE ROOM , BETTER RIDE .
MY WIFE WONT RIDE IN THE 500 (WE HAVE A RZR 900TRAIL TOO) BECAUSE OF THE UNCOMFORTABLE SEATING AND RUFFF RIDE . I AM NOT HATEN ON THE P5 , I LOVE IT ! JUST SAYIN THE P5 IS NOT COMFORTABLE COMPARATIVELY SPEAKING . EITHER ONE IS A HONDA SO NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT BUYING USED .

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
My advice would be don't buy the 500 just because of the price, it has to be for its size. The 700 will have more room, ride better, more power and more stability. You'll end up sinking money into either one of them on upgrades. The P5 just gets you into places the others can't. ;)

And that’s exactly why I bought the p500!

Signal_rig

Signal_rig

Mar 10, 2018
TN
Ownership

1. 500
I was in a similar dilemma. Wanted to replace my Honda 4 wheeler for safety reasons. Love 4 wheelers, but I couldn't ride a passenger with out being stressed.

I picked up a slightly used P500. A 2017 with 140 miles with a roof and windshield. I took me 6 months of looking to find it, but I figure I saved a few dollars to justify the mods I want to do. They are available, just have to keep looking.

To me it rides a lot better than a 4 wheeler with a passanger. It’s a much better experience! Yes, it’s small but that has pros and cons. I don’t ride for hours on end, I prefer to ease through the woods and take my time and enjoy the scenery.

If you ride on areas that have a high speed runs for a long stretch. You may be disappointed with the P5. But for a leisurely pace, I think it’s great. Gets down tight trails, capable off road and Honda reliability.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think that changing out a worn out vehicle for a 500 isn't unreasonable if your finances allow it and I would sell it that way to her.

Don't talk price. Just go look at one and take it for a spin in the parking lot.
She won't miss the roof or windshield as you don't have one on the Foreman.
She will love the bench seat but might not say so at first.

Maybe list some things it will help you do that is on her list not yours.
Then explain that else it can do besides plowing snow.
Tell her you want something to help with current needs and help more as you get older.

You don't have to add anything to it right now. It is Spring.
Get a 500 now and add a winch
Plow and windshield in the Fall
Ask for a heater and roof for Christmas
Get tires when you really need them

Reactions: 500oneer and Mudder
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

IMO, get the P5. If you’re going to go above that, get the 1000.

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500

The 500 is a good machine and I use it for plowing and winter riding, mine is still completely stock but I’m thinking of changing to a 25 or 26 tire to help the bumpy ride on the trails, my biggest complaint trail riding is the amount of dust that gets sucked into the cab, the trails by me are sandy and most of the time very dry, usually in the summer I leave the pioneer home and take the rancher unless the wife wants to go
Winter riding on the other hand is very good, I have the doors full windshield and back window and roof, i don’t have a heater I just wear a Milwaukee heated jacket and that keeps me nice and warm along with the heat off the engine and a good pair of boots and snow pants

Another option for you would be an can am outlander max not a sxs but an atv that’s a true 2 up, I had a 500, it was quick, comfortable and reliable

Reactions: 500oneer
P

Pedro

Jan 7, 2018
illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Texas,
I have had a 2017 500 for 15 months, and this is what I like about it:(no particular order)
1. Great price I got on it from dealer on year end model
2. 50 inch trail legal, also very handy in wooded offroad situations.
3. I use my Toyota Tundra to haul it everywhere in my truck bed. Easy to get in/out, rides well back there, feels alot safer than a trailer.
4. Pretty easy to modify, see below.
5. Fuel economy
6. Easier extraction when stuck than bigger sxs.
7. Drives and rides well enough for me on stock tires and suspension
8. I kinda like the paddle shifters.
Dislikes:
1. I wish it had a standard bed rather than a rack. I have the Honda polyethylene tray, but I am not super pleased with its functionality. I do a lot of gear hauling on my property and there is never enough room; had stuff fall out a few times. There is an opportunity here for the more imaginative and industrious P500 owners out there to fashion a usable bed.
2. The reverse mechanism is always a pain in the rear to always have to pull out. I know there is a way to override this on youtube, do you think it is safe to do it?
3. No standard glove box or stow case/bag. I know there are some options to DIY, but still bugs me when my phone, glasses, gloves have no where to go.
4. Silly tiny, shallow cupholders. Require modification to improve.

Bottom line, shop around and buy a new P500 when the price is right. Good used ones are difficult to find. Pedro

Reactions: L2R
L

Lamascota

Nov 22, 2018
Dittmer Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
In December I bought a 700 Deluxe, the reason was locking differential, power steering, and it was a 4 seater. If you have grandbabies, the 4 seater is nice. The throttle response on the 700 is outstanding for trail riding. Plenty of power, I weigh 230 and had a passenger that weighed 350 plus and another passenger about 200 plus, we went everywhere and up and down hills. I looked at the 500 and was very impressed, but I wanted, as I mentioned, the locking differential, power steering and room for 4. Roof, windshield and winch can come later as someone else has mentioned. Don't just look at price, you may have this machine for a long time, so the extra you pay for a bigger machine will be forgotten 5 or 10 years down the road. Buy once, cry once. My wife is 71 and loves our 700 Deluxe.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!