Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Howdy from Texas,
I have had a 2017 500 for 15 months, and this is what I like about it:(no particular order)
1. Great price I got on it from dealer on year end model
2. 50 inch trail legal, also very handy in wooded offroad situations.
3. I use my Toyota Tundra to haul it everywhere in my truck bed. Easy to get in/out, rides well back there, feels alot safer than a trailer.
4. Pretty easy to modify, see below.
5. Fuel economy
6. Easier extraction when stuck than bigger sxs.
7. Drives and rides well enough for me on stock tires and suspension
8. I kinda like the paddle shifters.
Dislikes:
1. I wish it had a standard bed rather than a rack. I have the Honda polyethylene tray, but I am not super pleased with its functionality. I do a lot of gear hauling on my property and there is never enough room; had stuff fall out a few times. There is an opportunity here for the more imaginative and industrious P500 owners out there to fashion a usable bed.
2. The reverse mechanism is always a pain in the rear to always have to pull out. I know there is a way to override this on youtube, do you think it is safe to do it?
3. No standard glove box or stow case/bag. I know there are some options to DIY, but still bugs me when my phone, glasses, gloves have no where to go.
4. Silly tiny, shallow cupholders. Require modification to improve.

Bottom line, shop around and buy a new P500 when the price is right. Good used ones are difficult to find. Pedro
Do you have 50” trails in Texas????

Yes the reverse override is safe.

See @Chooglin for your glove box.

:):cool:

Alphapup

Alphapup

Dec 11, 2018
"Cabin in the Woods", CAN/USA Border, Kootenays BC
Ownership

1. 500
Hello cras108er,

Here is some feedback from a "wifey" who will turn 60 this year.

My husband and I had a sxs Polaris but it was too wide for some of the trails. After four years it broke down with "catastrophic engine failure" and needed to be replaced.

We don't ride with a group, so when there is no cell coverage and no one around for many miles, getting home safely is important. (We do have radio's) We had really enjoyed our Ranger but I would never be able to trust Polaris again for reliability. After a period of mourning we decided to get two new rides.

Husband chose a 2018 charcoal grey Honda Trx 500 FA7 (Rubicon Deluxe IRS). I fell in love with a Pioneer 500.

Now we each have a ride and can go out into the bush and always have a ride home. Or we can sit sxs in the P5. Or the dog can sit beside me, he loves it! Best of both worlds.

You mentioned that you already have one ride, so maybe the P5 could work for your situation too?

This is what I like about the P5:
It fits all the trails!
I like both the auto and manual shifting, easy to use reverse.
Husband added a front and rear windshield
He also added a Lund box and small crate for gas container. Camping chairs, coolers, chainsaw it can all fit.
He installed 2 side mirrors
also added a 2 inch receiver hitch
Next upgrade is 25" tires with more aggressive thread. The 24" P5 tires don't compare with my husbands standard Rubicon 25" Maxxis tires.
Will remove sway bar for smoother ride and motivation not to go too fast
We also added a galvanized steel Rhyno Buggy to assist with hauling firewood and logs.

I am 5'10" and am very comfortable in the P5

Cons:
The seatbelt digs into my neck. Solution pending for the awkward reach for the seatbelt buckle above and behind my head.
No glove box
Cup holders are not deep enough

Cheers, Karen

P

Pan

Apr 9, 2016
Gorham NH 03581
I am contemplating buying a P5. Help me make a decision. First a little about me:
I do a lot of plowing with my machine and know of a lot of other owners that go just about anywhere. I used to have a Foreman, but made the decision to go with the Pioneer 1000. Don't hesitate to make that move. The 1000 is so far ahead of the 500 or 700, its not even funny.and I am pushing a 6 foot blade with original tires. Not as good a trail riding machine but much better than the 700. REALLY, think about it before you purchase.
I am in my late 50’s (good health). I will use the machine primarily for trail riding, although I have a rather large driveway that I may want to plow with it eventually.

I currently have a 10 yo Honda Foreman. I am pleased with, and a 2001 Polaris Explorer that is probably nearing the end of its useful life.

My plan would be to buy the P5 so that my wife and I could ride SxS - when we ride now, she usually just rides on back of Foreman. I think she would like the SxS experience, but sticker shock is going to scare her. I’d either fix up my Polaris, or drop it from the inventory.

I think the P5 would be the perfect solution, but would want to add wench, windshield, cab heater, and bigger tires. I have heard folks talk about WE shocks too. Looking for something that will make wifey comfortable on the trail.

By the time I do all of those upgrades, would I be looking at the same price as a Pioneer 700? I am partial to Honda’s because of their reputation. I’m not the most mechanically inclined, and I go out in places (bear country) where I can’t afford to not get back.

Also, I was thinking about buying used, but apparently waited too long. There were several low mileage P5’s on Craigslist and Facebook recently, but they have all been snapped up. Haven’t seen anything new posted in a while. Is this typical. The only one left has been there for a while, and I suspect there is a reason. Do these things (used) usually go like hot cakes?

Any tips/suggestions? Getting impatient. Ready to ride. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!