Is there a difference between scratch resistant and hard-coated windows?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After getting a glass windshield, I will never go plastic again. I bought the UTV 801 with the wiper , it’s a game changer! it has vents at the bottom that flip up for great airflow when you want it. I think it was like $50 more than the flip up plastic, well worth it in my opinion.View attachment 248329
I just don't like the loss of visiblablity around the edges

Reactions: rtn001 and CID
K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see so many different descriptions about windshields I am confused. I ride in dusty gritty conditions frequently. So what am I looking for, hard-coat or scratch resistant, or "other".
The hard coat is probably more durable. I don't know the coatings on the product but I am a former GE/Sabic engineer/manager that made MR10 and FMR. FMR (Formable Mar Resistant) is made to thermoform and isn't as scratch resistant and the MR10 which is a Silicone based hardcoat that cannot be thermoformed. FMR would scratch easier, it is less expensive but more durable than uncoated LEXAN but not as hard as MR10 (Silicone coated LEXAN).

A

ANADMike

Sep 1, 2020
Moody, Al
Ownership

1. 500
After getting a glass windshield, I will never go plastic again. I bought the UTV 801 with the wiper , it’s a game changer! it has vents at the bottom that flip up for great airflow when you want it. I think it was like $50 more than the flip up plastic, well worth it in my opinion.View attachment 248329
I bought the glass windshield from UTV801.com for my 2015 Pioneer 500. All I can say is WOW! I had the Honda OEM flip up windshield with hard coat. It was totally worthless after 3 years of use. The scratches got worse and worse, until I could not see at all when the sun hit it. The new glass windshield has a really nice vent system for hot weather, The glass never moves, just the vent. Made in USA. Very high quality product. Call Bryce at UTV801.com. Great customer service and super fast shipping. I threw my Honda plexiglass windshield in the trash. I can actually use a scraper to get the ice off during hunting season.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the 801 too. Just love it. Can use a small battery leaf blower and just blow off a huge portion of the dust buildup, then just a dry microfiber rag to finish. Would have scratched the crap out of the Plastic one doing it all dry. I had the flip up one but could not get used to the distortion at the lower seam. Maybe if taller would have not been an issue.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The UTV 801 looks to me to be a SXS windshield. They don't show it yet on their web site but they are not always up to date with their products. The USA on the windshield is something they do a lot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!