Is this really just the down payment?

toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
My new Talon X is coming in the end of the month, and being new to the SxS world, I am finding the "add-ons" to be very extensive and expensive. I have many years in the Goldwing (motorcycle) world, and to the motorcyclist, the "add-ons" are sometimes called "Farkles," and the bike becomes the down payment for the Farkles.

My first things will be a windshield, winch, toolbox and probably a tailgate. I can't do everything at once, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what you would do or add on first. Give me 3 or 4 suggestions of things that you would add on first.
Thanks!
Bryce

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
My new Talon X is coming in the end of the month, and being new to the SxS world, I am finding the "add-ons" to be very extensive and expensive. I have many years in the Goldwing (motorcycle) world, and to the motorcyclist, the "add-ons" are sometimes called "Farkles," and the bike becomes the down payment for the Farkles.

My first things will be a windshield, winch, toolbox and probably a tailgate. I can't do everything at once, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what you would do or add on first. Give me 3 or 4 suggestions of things that you would add on first.
Thanks!
Bryce
Tools (you probably won't need them) windshield . SuperATV flip . The rest of your list do as you feel like you need/want them .

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep, just the down payment and just like the GW, you can spend as much as you want. Not sure about your terrain, but a 1/2" FactoryUTV or Trail Armor skid is first up. The factory 'skid' is nothing more than a dust cover. Second up (on an X) will be respringing, you'll find it rides like an empty dump truck while stock. :oops: I'd recommend that you do shock valving at the same time if you have the $$$, just get it over with. If you're not backing it into the corners, you can unhook the sway bar to help soften the ride, a cheap experiment.

The link in my sig shows some basic Talon info if you haven't seen it.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My best advice is to drive it in your environment and decide what you need as you go. You see all these things guys do and think "I need that, that, and that."

Take all of those things into consideration, and when you actually *see* that moment you could use "this" or "that," add it!

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My best advice is to drive it in your environment and decide what you need as you go. You see all these things guys do and think "I need that, that, and that."

Take all of those things into consideration, and when you actually *see* that moment you could use "this" or "that," add it!
Yup. One of my favorite sayings is "let the need develop". Lots of people including myself agree the shocks can benefit from an infusion of cash, but your riding style may find the factory ones perfect. Why spend a lot of money on something that doesn't make your day better in some way? But, i am not one to buy something just because other people seem to expect it, we almost always ride alone so no one to impress here. . We have put over 20,000 miles on talons and my biggest expense is fuel. Best wishes, have fun with your new toy!

toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yep, just the down payment and just like the GW, you can spend as much as you want. Not sure about your terrain, but a 1/2" FactoryUTV or Trail Armor skid is first up. The factory 'skid' is nothing more than a dust cover. Second up (on an X) will be respringing, you'll find it rides like an empty dump truck while stock. :oops: I'd recommend that you do shock valving at the same time if you have the $$$, just get it over with. If you're not backing it into the corners, you can unhook the sway bar to help soften the ride, a cheap experiment.

The link in my sig shows some basic Talon info if you haven't seen it.
I have looked at the post in your sig.......... very helpful, and one of the reasons for the question of what to do first.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

I have looked at the post in your sig.......... very helpful, and one of the reasons for the question of what to do first.
Yup. One of my favorite sayings is "let the need develop". Lots of people including myself agree the shocks can benefit from an infusion of cash, but your riding style may find the factory ones perfect. Why spend a lot of money on something that doesn't make your day better in some way? But, i am not one to buy something just because other people seem to expect it, we almost always ride alone so no one to impress here. . We have put over 20,000 miles on talons and my biggest expense is fuel. Best wishes, have fun with your new toy!
Dave and Dan nailed it, put some miles on your X and add what you want. Two inexpensive farkles - the extended firewall cover to keep mud out of the dash and the Mudbusters to keep mud out of the cab (openings in front of the rear tires). Instead of the firewall cover linked in my sig, DEI has come out with a heat control kit that includes the firewall cover, I'd go that route now that it's available and I have one here waiting to be installed. @TerryH made a video on how to install it, maybe he'll be so kind as to post his link.

Third - although expensive, the Super ATV flip up windshield. It lives its life Up 95% of the time but pays for itself when cold or raining. It won't fit an aftermarket roll cage if that's in your future.

advertisement
L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Dave is spot on. I was convinced I needed bigger tires before my R came in, so I got 31in carnivores. After riding with them vs the stock, I’m almost certain I like the stock ride better. Buy accessories when the need arises!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Dave is spot on. I was convinced I needed bigger tires before my R came in, so I got 31in carnivores. After riding with them vs the stock, I’m almost certain I like the stock ride better. Buy accessories when the need arises!
Same.
But carry a spare outer tie rod end. 😂

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
suspension. the first upgrade the talon needs. everything else depends on where you ride and how fast you intend on going.
second for me was intercoms, and car to car radio.
other than that Daves advise is spot on.

Reactions: CID and toy-hauler

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!