Is updating Pioneer 1000-5 from 2016 to 2020 worth it?

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just need some help from those in the real/technical know. Is it worth it to upgrade my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe to the 2020 model? Admittedly, I've been out of the loop here on the forum for a while due to some internet issues, and was hoping for some good info from those in the know. I'm wanting to modify Mama's unit with lift and accessories (so she doesn't get stuck as often) and I might pull trigger pretty quick if it is worth it to do it on the newer model instead of the 2016.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Isaiah
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi. The only change was a clutch cooling update that is available for your 2016 at no charge also.
Other than that they are listed as the same...

BUT.... I did upgrade from a 2016 to a 2019 after wrecking my 16. And it did drive differently. My 16 could not hold under 3-4mph. my 2019 will hold 1-2mph no problem. Along with some unlisted frame updates, electrical updates, and other safety features that are not mentioned.

Now. is this worth it... No. I say its not.

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi. The only change was a clutch cooling update that is available for your 2016 at no charge also.
Other than that they are listed as the same...

BUT.... I did upgrade from a 2016 to a 2019 after wrecking my 16. And it did drive differently. My 16 could not hold under 3-4mph. my 2019 will hold 1-2mph no problem. Along with some unlisted frame updates, electrical updates, and other safety features that are not mentioned.

Now. is this worth it... No. I say its not.
Are the frame updates something that is fairly easy to fix? Is there a thread for that? I'm pretty handy with welder and steel.
Same question with electrical.
Is the gearing different, i.e. would it be better for running a lift and bigger tires?

Thanks!!

Reactions: Isaiah
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Are the frame updates something that is fairly easy to fix? Is there a thread for that? I'm pretty handy with welder and steel.
Same question with electrical.
Is the gearing different, i.e. would it be better for running a lift and bigger tires?

Thanks!!
The thing is... we just don't know.
Speculation with signs of truth.
Hitch was improved.
A-arm tabs were slightly improved.
We wonder of a thicker tube was used to help stop it ripping apart.
Added ROPS side ejection bars.

Could be a dozen unlsted "updates" we haven't a clue about.

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would say no also, you have a good machine so why throw away money on the same thing. Maybe you should just change wheels and tires that always makes for a new look.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the help guys! I'll stick with it for now. I was willing to upgrade if it would head off problems that had been fixed, but it doesn't sound significant enough to pull the trigger. To tell the truth, I was kind of looking for an excuse to get a blue one, but I can spend $400-500 on vinyls to fix that. So now, I'll go ahead and order c-fab arched a-arms and some tires/wheels and run it. Then I'll use the extra money I saved to turbo the Talon. Woo-hoo!!!!

Reactions: Isaiah and 500oneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!