P1000 It's official, my kids hate the back seats

J

JTW

View attachment 101280

@Cuoutdoors has s good point put them both in the back and let them accompany each other.
Works a lot better than separating them.
16721702 8297 4ED3 924D 0D72C3A526DA

J

JTW

Good suggestions, I will look into the seat pads and harnesses. I would have put two kids in the back but I already had a bunch of crap strapped down on the other side and didn't feel like moving it. Reading back over my post it does sound a little snowflak-ey but I can assure you that my girls at least (can't speak for their friends, it was their first time on an ATV) have been through some sh*t with me and have handled it pretty well. Their first time out with me was a few years ago at Mud Creek, about 11pm the right wheels hit a deep spot on a flooded trail and had to abandon ship in waist-deep water and get winched out. That was in our old Ranger - they spent a lot of time in the front seat of that and it was quieter and smoother than the back seat of the Pioneer so I can understand how they would feel it's a step backwards in comfort. I am really happy that they want to participate in this kind of thing and want to keep them interested, so I am going to do my best to make it enjoyable for them.

Same daughter in this image, 2.5 years ago at River Run - yeah she loves the mud!
View attachment 101309
Lol.. I’ve got girls too. I get it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m sorry about being so abrupt but I’ve seen so many people start off posts with how bad the seats and comfort in the rear is. It is a multi purpose vehicle with converting seats. Pretty hard to get a full size bucket to pop out of a fully usable box on short wheel base.
I’m 6”1 and my son is much taller as most in my family are tall and we still sit there even on very long travels. It’s awesome in my opinion to be able to have a rig that’s so good at everything but we have to keep in mind it can never be absolutely perfect at anything because of all it can do.
True it’s not the most comfortable in back but it is a ride and good experience with 4 other people in a mid size 2 seater rzr platform.
Get some lights and some good tunes that those teenage girls can Bluetooth into, grab some drinks and an adult beverage for yourself and no special seat cushions will be needed.

U

Uniblab

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m sorry about being so abrupt but I’ve seen so many people start off posts with how bad the seats and comfort in the rear is. It is a multi purpose vehicle with converting seats. Pretty hard to get a full size bucket to pop out of a fully usable box on short wheel base.
I’m 6”1 and my son is much taller as most in my family are tall and we still sit there even on very long travels. It’s awesome in my opinion to be able to have a rig that’s so good at everything but we have to keep in mind it can never be absolutely perfect at anything because of all it can do.
True it’s not the most comfortable in back but it is a ride and good experience with 4 other people in a mid size 2 seater rzr platform.
Get some lights and some good tunes that those teenage girls can Bluetooth into, grab some drinks and an adult beverage for yourself and no special seat cushions will be needed.

No apology needed. I understand compromise is usually necessary when picking a vehicle and I blame myself for not doing enough research before I bought. I don't blame Honda for their design and I'm sure it's the perfect vehicle for some. For me, it's not perfect but maybe it's as close as I can get. I don't really care about the large/dump bed - a small bed or storage area behind the rear seats (say 18-24" deep) would meet my needs. Something like the Teryx4 but I rented one of those once and it was just too damned loud. I'm no pansy but after several hours of driving my ears were ringing. I already work in a noisy environment where I have to wear hearing protection, don't want to deal with that when I'm out having fun. Loved how quiet and smooth the Ranger was, but the lack of reliability was a dealbreaker and what drove me to Honda. The Pioneer is louder than the Ranger, but not loud enough to ruin the experience.

After seeing all of the replies to this thread (thanks) and reading some more, I think I'm going to try leaving the seats up semi-permanently with comfort modifications (cushions, harnesses) and the Honda bed extender to get a little storage space behind the seats. I think the only time I've lifted the bed since I've owned it was to work on the engine (I use an old golf cart to haul crap around the property). Lights and tunes will come next!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No apology needed. I understand compromise is usually necessary when picking a vehicle and I blame myself for not doing enough research before I bought. I don't blame Honda for their design and I'm sure it's the perfect vehicle for some. For me, it's not perfect but maybe it's as close as I can get. I don't really care about the large/dump bed - a small bed or storage area behind the rear seats (say 18-24" deep) would meet my needs. Something like the Teryx4 but I rented one of those once and it was just too damned loud. I'm no pansy but after several hours of driving my ears were ringing. I already work in a noisy environment where I have to wear hearing protection, don't want to deal with that when I'm out having fun. Loved how quiet and smooth the Ranger was, but the lack of reliability was a dealbreaker and what drove me to Honda. The Pioneer is louder than the Ranger, but not loud enough to ruin the experience.

After seeing all of the replies to this thread (thanks) and reading some more, I think I'm going to try leaving the seats up semi-permanently with comfort modifications (cushions, harnesses) and the Honda bed extender to get a little storage space behind the seats. I think the only time I've lifted the bed since I've owned it was to work on the engine (I use an old golf cart to haul crap around the property). Lights and tunes will come next!
There are some great bed extenders out there that might help.
We did use 3/4 gel cut to fit under seat covers on all seats on our privious pioneer and even though it was more comfortable we didn’t bother this time.
If you run in manual mode you can actually keep it quieter for easy riding by choosing a higher gear. It’s really quiet if choosing gears. Tunes...yes that fixes everything lol

Last edited:
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Uniblab: Your little girl is way tougher than me!! I can't even imagine being in mud up to my neck! There's no such thing here in the west...we get to play in the dust...

AND, being a Nevadan / Utahn, the thought of PAYING $15 per head sounds crazy. I know it's a reality in other places, but it makes me really appreciate the west...uhh...except for the dust...LOL

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lo
I don’t get it or understand the complaints. Every kid that rides with us has a great time and sometimes we’ll even have a couple kids belted in each rear seat. I very commonly ride in back myself, it’s a family thing and the responsible kids commonly take the machine by themselves.
Those that have kids and take out the back seats “because they’re so uncomfortable anyways “ I just don’t get or understand! It’s a short wheel base vehicle made to carry 5. Impossible in any other make. I think some just need to get a Polaris limo or a Jeep with a/c so they don’t get their white designer t-shirt dirty.
Easiest way to have kids enjoy the ride is to make it about them. And some kids just need to be toughened up, it’s a soft generation looking to just sit home. We try to make it about the kids so they have fun
View attachment 101281
View attachment 101282
View attachment 101286 View attachment 101287
Smiles from our large group of kids that attend
Looks like a blast for everyone! I agree with you, the pioneer does something well lots of things that you cant even find in other brands. It is an awesome jack of all trades and a master of some rather than none, I've rode in the back for about half an hour myself and was very pleased with the leg room and also the width of passenger space available. Seemed to be a pretty good ride as well. I am still wanting to spend afew hours back there while on the trails as to form my own opinion to know for myself. I've rode two kids in the back and one up front for short rides of hr or less and they loved it, along with the adults that have been back there so far

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took my daughter and two of her friends out to Red River ATV park (Hendrix, OK) yesterday in our P1K/5. They are all 13 years old... hmm I just realized that I'm as old as all four of them put together. :eek: Had a great time but had to stop frequently to rotate them out of the back seat (3 of us on the bench in front, one in the right rear seat, gear in left rear). Complaints were as follows: Uncomfortable, primarily when bouncing around the seat belts were hurting them. Poor visibility out the front. Too noisy to communicate with front seat passengers while riding.

We tried wrapping the seat belt anchors with towels, that helped the comfort issue a little bit, but I can see the writing on the wall. The P1K/5 is not going to be a good solution for more than three people for anything except short trips. At least not for us. I probably should have sat in the back of it before buying it, and I didn't so nobody to blame but myself.

I do have another kid that is old enough to drive so I think I'm going to go with plan B, which is to start looking for another rig that can seat 3 on a bench in front. Gonna have to make some mods to my car trailer to support transporting two rigs, it is about a foot too short to carry two Pioneers.

I have 3 girls 13, 10 and 5.

If there are any complaints it’s from the 13 year old about the metal seat belt brackets.

DanDan

DanDan

Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, tejas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took my daughter and two of her friends out to Red River ATV park (Hendrix, OK) yesterday in our P1K/5. They are all 13 years old... hmm I just realized that I'm as old as all four of them put together. :eek: Had a great time but had to stop frequently to rotate them out of the back seat (3 of us on the bench in front, one in the right rear seat, gear in left rear). Complaints were as follows: Uncomfortable, primarily when bouncing around the seat belts were hurting them. Poor visibility out the front. Too noisy to communicate with front seat passengers while riding.

We tried wrapping the seat belt anchors with towels, that helped the comfort issue a little bit, but I can see the writing on the wall. The P1K/5 is not going to be a good solution for more than three people for anything except short trips. At least not for us. I probably should have sat in the back of it before buying it, and I didn't so nobody to blame but myself.

I do have another kid that is old enough to drive so I think I'm going to go with plan B, which is to start looking for another rig that can seat 3 on a bench in front. Gonna have to make some mods to my car trailer to support transporting two rigs, it is about a foot too short to carry two Pioneers.

We live in Greenville. Been thinking about going to Red River ATV Park or Pine Mountain ATV Park, OK when I come home on RnR the first part of Feb. I haven't been to either one yet, but looking forward to some fun.

Justinm1981

Justinm1981

Oct 6, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I raised the back seat bottom cushions up about 9 inches so my kids leg weren’t in such a bind. I built a platform out of a treated 2x10 and attached the bottom cushions to it.my boys loved the mod and they can also see out a lot better now.

D

Deleted member 3748

I agree. My wife and I spent the better part of a day in the back of a 1000-5 and neither one of us had a complaint with the space or comfort or anything. It's probably an issue with what you expect it to be vs. what it is.

Justinm1981

Justinm1981

Oct 6, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. My wife and I spent the better part of a day in the back of a 1000-5 and neither one of us had a complaint with the space or comfort or anything. It's probably an issue with what you expect it to be vs. what it is.
I’m 6”1’ also, it wasn’t the most comfortable ride in the back before but now I can ride back there without my knees being in my chin.

N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4

Here is a link to a booster that I made for the back seat.
Hope this helps some folks!!!!

Reactions: Kemp95 and TripleB
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Here is what I have done.

Reactions: TripleB and Adam490

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!