NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a 2010 FJ Cruiser, manual tranny. We don't need no stinkin' badges, er, . . . I mean Jeeps.
Those FJ’s were nice looking. I was surprised they didn’t last all that long (meaning in terms of Toyota selling them not reliability). A friend of mine had one in all black and I always thought it was awesome. They also had a much nicer interior than the Wranglers of the same era by far IMHO.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those FJ’s were nice looking. I was surprised they didn’t last all that long (meaning in terms of Toyota selling them not reliability). A friend of mine had one in all black and I always thought it was awesome. They also had a much nicer interior than the Wranglers of the same era by far IMHO.
Agreed. Baseless rumor is that the broader market shifted to street SUVs, like the Highlander. Nissan dropped its Xterra (which I had and really liked). I have a 5th Gen. 4Runner and love it, except it could use a little more horse power.
Another baseless rumor is the 2023 4Runner will be 6th Gen. with an option for more hp.

sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Overcharged prep fees are bogus. Most charge some sort of fee, but $400 is insane.
The 3 dealers I have spoken two quoted me $1399, $1634, and $1435 (CAD). That was all the fees, such as documentation fee, freight and PDI.

I actually don't have a problem with paying for freight. I mean if it is charged to the dealer by Honda (it is), and especially now they need to recoup it. When they have lots of machines to sell and are able to easily pay overhead + payroll, then it is a sales tool for them to eat it. I would really like to know what freight they are actually paying from Honda though. I guess I could try asking.

PDI I have a bit of an issue with. I mean they are paying for the mechanic to be there anyway... though one could argue they would need fewer mechanics if PDI's weren't required. I believe they are required to report a PDI to Honda, so if there are warranty issues that Honda can't point the figure at the dealer and say you didn't do a PDI. I'd really like to know what exactly is included in PDI (@HondaTech ?), to make a real call on this. I usually ask to see the list before I will pay for it. If it is stuff like torque lugnuts, oil filter... make sure all 4 wheels touch the ground, etc., then I'd have trouble paying for it.

The documentation fee I find BS. It is 20 minutes of paperwork.... I mean when I buy a Big Mac, I don't want to see $0.25 surcharge for lettuce assembly and a $0.11 surcharge for paperwork because someone had to ring it in the till. Those are simply the cost of doing business if you are a Big Mac retailer.

At the same time, I have no problem with a buyer trying to get the best deal, and negotiate those fees away. I just don't think there is much negotiating power to be had by the consumer right now.

Reactions: Squeegee and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The 3 dealers I have spoken two quoted me $1399, $1634, and $1435 (CAD). That was all the fees, such as documentation fee, freight and PDI.

I actually don't have a problem with paying for freight. I mean if it is charged to the dealer by Honda (it is), and especially now they need to recoup it. When they have lots of machines to sell and are able to easily pay overhead + payroll, then it is a sales tool for them to eat it. I would really like to know what freight they are actually paying from Honda though. I guess I could try asking.

PDI I have a bit of an issue with. I mean they are paying for the mechanic to be there anyway... though one could argue they would need fewer mechanics if PDI's weren't required. I believe they are required to report a PDI to Honda, so if there are warranty issues that Honda can't point the figure at the dealer and say you didn't do a PDI. I'd really like to know what exactly is included in PDI (@HondaTech ?), to make a real call on this. I usually ask to see the list before I will pay for it. If it is stuff like torque lugnuts, oil filter... make sure all 4 wheels touch the ground, etc., then I'd have trouble paying for it.

The documentation fee I find BS. It is 20 minutes of paperwork.... I mean when I buy a Big Mac, I don't want to see $0.25 surcharge for lettuce assembly and a $0.11 surcharge for paperwork because someone had to ring it in the till. Those are simply the cost of doing business if you are a Big Mac retailer.

At the same time, I have no problem with a buyer trying to get the best deal, and negotiate those fees away. I just don't think there is much negotiating power to be had by the consumer right now.
Everything you said is fair and most can agree with, but most dealers will try to get away with as much as they can.

These machines are run and tested at the factory and driven into the crates. PDI usually consists of assembling the roll cage, checking the oils and wiping it down. I have seen some need the steering wheel and skid plates put on. But I am sure it does not take 5 hours.

Reactions: Squeegee
D

Deleted member 47331

The problem is that the buying process is so murky that consumers can never be certain what fees are legitimate, and what fees are bogus. No two dealers are the same, which only adds to confusion that many dealers are more than happy to exploit whenever possible.

Agreed, it's a terrible time to buy because dealers have the advantage and they know it. Nothing lasts forever, and the pendulum will eventually swing the other way, it's simply a matter of time.

H

HondaTech

Everything you said is fair and most can agree with, but most dealers will try to get away with as much as they can.

These machines are run and tested at the factory and driven into the crates. PDI usually consists of assembling the roll cage, checking the oils and wiping it down. I have seen some need the steering wheel and skid plates put on. But I am sure it does not take 5 hours.

Thats where your wrong sir, most of the issues on this forum are stuff the dealership should've checked or made sure operated properly before the unit was delivered.

Makes it even worse when you pay that much and something isnt right.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thats where your wrong sir, most of the issues on this forum are stuff the dealership should've checked or made sure operated properly before the unit was delivered.

Makes it even worse when you pay that much and something isnt right.
What is the flat rate time for PDI on a P1k?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!