Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Towing 700-4

BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Checking to see if anyone owns a Jeep Rubicon 3.6L 4 Door and uses it to tow your Pioneer 700-4. I realize the trailer weight adds a big variable but asking the question to the group. The Jeep tow rating is 3500 lbs.. Thinking about purchasing a 2017 Hard Rock JK.. Thanks in Advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had mine about a year.

I really hated the motor/tranny combo for a couple months after having an Ecoboost F150. It shines with low end torque and, of course, more hp.

I finally did some research on the 3.6 in my JK and found that it gets moving but you need to push the pedal " a lot" for it to get up and go.
Surprisingly, it accelerates better than I thought it could.

Back to trailering. Get comfortable with manually shifting up and down.
I haul a 6.5'x12' (guessing 1100 lbs + the SXS) with no issues. I live in a hilly area not mountainous. I can easily maintain 55, 60 or whatever speed I want just keep the rpms at 2500-3000.

Gas mileage will suck but if gas mileage is an issue for you then a wrangler is probably a choice worth re-evaluating.
Mine is a '13 with 3:73 as well.

Lift new tires

Last edited:
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Checking to see if anyone owns a Jeep Rubicon 4.6L 4 Door and uses it to tow your Pioneer 700-4. I realize the trailer weight adds a big variable but asking the question to the group. The Jeep tow rating is 3500 lbs.. Thinking about purchasing a 2017 Hard Rock JK.. Thanks in Advance!

My wife has A lifted jeep 4 door . I will tow my 700 hundred fine . I only used it two times but they were long trips out of state .

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Checking to see if anyone owns a Jeep Rubicon 4.6L 4 Door and uses it to tow your Pioneer 700-4. I realize the trailer weight adds a big variable but asking the question to the group. The Jeep tow rating is 3500 lbs.. Thinking about purchasing a 2017 Hard Rock JK.. Thanks in Advance!

I'm assuming you meant 3.6 liter?
I used to use an XJ Cherokee to pull my 700. That was about as much as you'd want to pull with it, so the heavier, more powerful JK should be fine.

BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had mine about a year.

I really hated the motor/tranny combo for a couple months after having an Ecoboost F150. It shines with low end torque and, of course, more hp.

I finally did some research on the 3.6 in my JK and found that it gets moving but you need to push the pedal " a lot" for it to get up and go.

I haul a 6.5'x12' (guessing 1100 lbs + the SXS) with no issues. I live in a hilly area not mountainous. I can easily maintain 55, 60 or whatever speed I want just keep the rpms at 2500-3000.

Gas mileage will suck but if gas mileage is an issue for you then a wrangler is probably a choice worth re-evaluating.

View attachment 199530

I need to look at a different trailer and update my truck. I currently have a 5’ x 14’ dual 4 wheeler trailer that I use to pull my mower and 4 wheeler. The 700 won’t fit on it or would be really tight. Also have a heavier 12’ Cronkite dual 3500 axle trailer that I use to pull an old Bobcat 743 skid steer. But for pulling I currently use a 94 Z71 that won’t pull the skid steer anyway... the truck will pull mowers and the 700 on the Cronkite but the truck is under powered to pull be bobcat and to old to go on long trips with the 700-4. I guess I should really buy a 3/4 ton truck and not the Jeep but I always wanted a Jeep so a Jeep it is.... Thank you for the advice!

BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had mine about a year.

View attachment 199530

Love the look of the Jeep and the motor home makes it look like a good weekend is coming up... :) At least gas is cheap for now anyway!!

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Love the look of the Jeep and the motor home makes it look like a good weekend is coming up... :) At least gas is cheap for now anyway!!

Yep, my 3rd Jeep. I liked my f150 a lot. It took a while to get the Jeep to my liking with the lift, etc.
But I like it a lot now.
Just finished up the front tow bar and brake kit this past week. Like everyone else, I guess, all dressed and no place (yet) to go.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checking to see if anyone owns a Jeep Rubicon 3.6L 4 Door and uses it to tow your Pioneer 700-4. I realize the trailer weight adds a big variable but asking the question to the group. The Jeep tow rating is 3500 lbs.. Thinking about purchasing a 2017 Hard Rock JK.. Thanks in Advance!

You should be fine, I tow my 1000-5 with a 2015 Ram 1500 3.6 Pentastar 8 speed tranny and 3:21 rear gear.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!