P500 Joined the P500 club today! Few questions

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
As the subject says, after much research and help from the good people on this forum I took the day off and brought home a 2017 P500 (with Honda roof)! Literally had a smile on my face the entire time while riding this thing! Here’s some comments and a few questions while I’m getting acquainted:
1) for anyone who has the Honda roof- I noticed mine was making a really annoying squeaking noise at two of the clamps.. an easy fix was to cut a strip as wide as the clamp and 6” long from a zip-lok bag and put it around the roll bar where the clamp goes such that the strip was between the bar and clamp.. zero squeaking now
2) want to do the reverse lever override mod where you loosen the cable.. any harm in doing this?
3) any info on how to adjust the shocks? I see some notches on the sleeve covering a portion of the shock. I actually find the “stock setting” ride pretty dang good but just curious if you guys have determined an optimal setting.
4) Any pointers on removing the sway bar? Again, the ride right now is pretty good to me but if I were to remove it what should I expect to change about the ride quality?

Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
1) Turn up the tunes and you won't hear any of that. 2) No harm whatsoever, just don't shift into reverse moving forward. 3) You can adjust them with a pipe wrench if you're careful not to booger them up but a spanner wrench only costs about $8 at an atv dealer. Adjusting them up will give you a stiffer ride but I would suggest as soft as possible unless you're bottoming out. Amount of weight you carry will make a difference too. 4) Unhook that thing unless your riding style is doing donuts and slinging around corners all the time. Ride is much smoother and rear end articulates better without it.
You and your UPS guy are about to know each other on a first name basis.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
1) Turn up the tunes and you won't hear any of that. 2) No harm whatsoever, just don't shift into reverse moving forward. 3) You can adjust them with a pipe wrench if you're careful not to booger them up but a spanner wrench only costs about $8 at an atv dealer. Adjusting them up will give you a stiffer ride but I would suggest as soft as possible unless you're bottoming out. Amount of weight you carry will make a difference too. 4) Unhook that thing unless your riding style is doing donuts and slinging around corners all the time. Ride is much smoother and rear end articulates better without it.

Lmao. You hit the nail on the head. Just ordered my speaker system a couple minutes ago.. and saving some wheel tire combos on eBay right now.. And probably about to hit up Chooglin for a glove box. Oh god what have i gotten myself into!? Does the P500 need to be up on a jack in order to make the shock adjustments?

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the info everyone. Apologies if I missed this in the link that was posted above but how would I go about making the drivers seatbelt receiver flexible/movable like the passenger side one? I’d like to be able to flip them both backwards to open up the whole bench seat.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Would it work to just buy a seatbelt latch from a 2016 somewhere online? This would kill two birds with one stone- no seatbelt speed limiter and can fold the drivers belt latch out of the way.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You would need to purchase a passenger buckle from a dealer and install it on the drivers side. This may disable the speed interlock though.
Speed limiter can easily be disabled without too much hassle. If you search @JTW for threads he created/started, he did a write up on the process.

Reactions: JTW and Twangin
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

Been working on some mods this weekend and was just trying to do the reverse lever mod and it didn’t work.. I adjusted the nut closest to the dash all the way as far towards the dash as I could (without it slipping off the threads), then adjusted the other nut snugly in the same direction. All this did was make the lever very difficult to pull and I could not go into reverse without pulling the lever.. did I do something wrong?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Twangin, your adjustment should “pull the cable”, like the lever does, but if your adjustment lever is already hard to pull ??...you should have a longer threaded cable sheath showing under the hood than stock adjustment. Did not have to overtighten like feeling the treads are going to strip. If still need more adjustment, dont know if there is a similar adjustment at the other end going into motor/transmission.

Reactions: Gassygordo
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Ok thanks @Mudder, I’ll take a closer look and give it another shot this week.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!