ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope i dont need skids around the property. I ride through a lot of high dry grass,im a little concerned about dry grass and high heat mixing and causing a fire.

If it's not wet a leaf blower does wonders to get the bulk of it out. How I initially clean my Zero Turn before I wash it down.

J

JTW

Nope i dont need skids around the property. I ride through a lot of high dry grass,im a little concerned about dry grass and high heat mixing and causing a fire.
Ahhhh, yeah. They sure give piece of mine though. Are you going to go with aluminum or UHMW? I bought the aluminum and loved them at first... I still believe it's stronger. But they are beat and bent to hell. And that's basically JUST from the takeover! 1/2 UHMW will be my next route even if I make them myself.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Damnit guys!!!! I'm guessing skid plates have just moved up on the priority list.$$$$$$$$
I have the best skid plates money can buy and they are worth it.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
UHMW is the best choice in my opinion. When was heavy into rock crawlers, a few of the guys would buy the 3/8 UHMW sheets and line the framerails and rock sliders. Then when they were tornup they would just replace the damaged parts.

advertisement
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ahhhh, yeah. They sure give piece of mine though. Are you going to go with aluminum or UHMW? I bought the aluminum and loved them at first... I still believe it's stronger. But they are beat and bent to hell. And that's basically JUST from the takeover! 1/2 UHMW will be my next route even if I make them myself.

So are you recommending the Ricochet combination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Dp5hunter
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell that riding in the ozarks and riding at the takeover are night and day difference. It's a lot more rock here than there. I really didn't see many rocks at all. Almost all dirt and ruts were the challenge. Here it's rock ledges, bigger boulder style rocks etc you are challenged with. I think my superatv intimidators would have worked awesome in Tennessee. Not so much here in Arkansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
UHMW is the best choice in my opinion. When was heavy into rock crawlers, a few of the guys would buy the 3/8 UHMW sheets and line the framerails and rock sliders. Then when they were tornup they would just replace the damaged parts.
Yep, that's what I have.

J

Jshell3

I tell you what... All this skidplate damage / boulder talk isn't building much of a case for motivating me to make the 6 hour trip. (we all know how the Takeover turned out for me... lol) This is a tougher trail ride?

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tell you what... All this skidplate damage / boulder talk isn't building much of a case for motivating me to make the 6 hour trip. (we all know how the Takeover turned out for me... lol) This is a tougher trail ride?
Don't back out on us now bud. You got this!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When my parents first visited me in this part of the country they questioned why these weren't called the Rocky Mountains. That said, my buddy rode his Pioneer all over those trails without any significant damage. But skids are a prudent investment. I feel a lot better everytime I have a hard hit on a rock having installed those very heavy duty full skids, and they still look like they did when I installed them save scratches only, no denting like you get with aluminum.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Your 1000 will be fine!!!! Your driving skill level will be fine!

I've ridden most of these trails on a 20 year old Yamaha Timberwolf and in my 500. The 500 does not have skids. Dont let it worry you buddy.

J

Jshell3

I'm a wienie...
LOL

I'm looking for that slow easy trail ride that offers scenic views, a hidden picnic area, and a place the boys can swim.

And less of a "challenge accepted" / "summit at all costs" type of ride...

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will be fine, my first real ride was here and I was basically stock - I am not even sure I had skid plates then or yes I I had just gotten them but @Tigermark did not have any I know :)

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a wienie...
LOL

I'm looking for that slow easy trail ride that offers scenic views, a hidden picnic area, and a place the boys can swim.

And less of a "challenge accepted" / "summit at all costs" type of ride...
There are some good swimming / wading / creek areas there, as well as some nice waterfalls. I will have my 7 year old with me so he will have to get in the creeks while we are there.. he does not like the big hills unless we are following @Tigermark lol if he sees Tiger go up a hill he say " if he can do we can do it" lol -

You will also have some good views - granted when the leaves are off you can see farther but the views are nice.

advertisement