P1000 Just a reminder, check your trailer's spare tire mount.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my utility trailer out (that I also use for my pioneer) to get some supplies for a project yesterday. Once I got to the shop, noticed the spare tire was sitting funny on the trailer. Upon closer inspection it was holding on by about 1/8" of metal. Soon as I lifted the tire up (with the mount still attached) the whole thing popped apart.

Really lucky it didn't fall off as I was going down the highway or some other road. That tire/wheel/mount bouncing around coulda done a lot of damage.

Was never a fan of this style of spare tire mount - even less-so now. Going to weld a new mount to the frame of the trailer with plenty of support so this doesn't happen again.

While I didn't have a catastrophic incident with it falling off while traveling, had I inspected it before I hit the road I would have noticed what poor shape it was in.

B0A218A9 9581 4BEE 8CE0 DA05DD05F33C 0B1AA2F1 7E81 4627 A8DC 9C8DBCB6B15F

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered a stake-pocket mount that I'm going to weld to the trailer on all available surfaces/angles. Stuff falling off/out of my trailer at highway speeds is one of my biggest fears.

Prior to yesterday's haul I did lube the axles (dexter ez-lube) and check my tire pressures. Just didn't occur to me to check the spare tire mount. That'll be on my list from now on; this trailer gets a lot of off-road use.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my utility trailer out (that I also use for my pioneer) to get some supplies for a project yesterday. Once I got to the shop, noticed the spare tire was sitting funny on the trailer. Upon closer inspection it was holding on by about 1/8" of metal. Soon as I lifted the tire up (with the mount still attached) the whole thing popped apart.

Really lucky it didn't fall off as I was going down the highway or some other road. That tire/wheel/mount bouncing around coulda done a lot of damage.

Was never a fan of this style of spare tire mount - even less-so now. Going to weld a new mount to the frame of the trailer with plenty of support so this doesn't happen again.

While I didn't have a catastrophic incident with it falling off while traveling, had I inspected it before I hit the road I would have noticed what poor shape it was in.

View attachment 341586 View attachment 341587

You can tell from the rust, on the parted metal, that failure due to flexure and metal fatigue has been working for some time.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can tell from the rust, on the parted metal, that failure due to flexure and metal fatigue has been working for some time.
Yup, you are 100% correct. Bought this trailer about 4-5 years ago and never was a fan of the flex associated with that mount. Not terribly surprised it failed and will be going with a different style versus fixing/rebuilding the existing style.

Had it been attached at the top and the bottom, I'm convinced it never would have been an issue - the fact that it was just bolted at the top, allowing the bottom to flop around and stress the pipe material was a poor design.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Echo the OP.
You can see my tire mount on my trailer. I just by chance bumped the tire and it moved.
The black painted iron had rusted on bottom and about 1/8" piece of metal held it at top.
I was lucky to catch it in time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!