P500 Just bought a used P500 and having buyers remorse...

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
So just bought this, its a 2018 with 400 miles on it. The owner (a young guy) put Traxion 28" Mudrunners on it as well as a snorkel and vented diff's and fuel tank. It also came with a Warn winch & plow. It's had it's first Honda service plus he just maintenance changed the engine and diff's oils.

So right away I was put off by all this as we talked on the phone but went to see it anyway.

He seems like a level headed, honest young man. Said this bike was was too small for his needs and wants something bigger to keep up with his pals. He went on to say that he put the snorkel on it as he had a bad experience in the past and now it's the first mod he does on any quad he buys, just to be safe.

The bike is clean and looks like you'd expect with only 400 miles on it, minor scuffs and scratches. He did show me that a CV boot was ripped and claimed it only happened a day ago. To his credit he told me up front as I probably wouldn't have seen it myself.

The tires are way too aggressive for me, and they shake the bike a low speed, but he said it was normal for that tire setup.

Anyways, drove it, it all seemed good and made he a cash offer he accepted. When I got it home and took it out again, those low speed vibrating tires really made me think twice. Plus, after my initial drive in manual mode, at home I went in auto mode. It shifted very hard and was more than noticeable. That really worried me.

What do you guys think, should I be worried? Was I too trusting with the fact it's been snorkeled with a big mud tire set up? Like I said, it looked like a 400 mile bike, clean and not beat all up...

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Yeah, I always have some buyers remorse anytime I buy a big ticket item. I'd bet that some radial tires, and a clutch adjustment, along with some more break in miles and you'll never have any trouble with this machine.

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Here's some pics

IMG 3458 IMG 3460 IMG 3461

C

Chooglin

These machines are known for shifting hard/clunky and not very smooth at first , just ask anyone who has one. The shifting will smooth out in time and as suggested, a simple clutch adjustment will help. Get rid of the tires and replace with a less aggressive radial tire!

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
As noted above the shifting will smooth out. Try running different tire pressure these rigs are (least mine is) sensitive to tire pressure. Try 4-7 psi per corner. If you desire for new tires... radials, in 26 or 27” diameter. I’ve ran stock, AMS slingshots in 26” (great tire wear like iron just not a radial). Now Kenda HTRs in 27 by 11 by 12s on all four corners with 5-2 rims. Ride sooo much smoother, noticeable improvement.
Welcome lots of excellent folks here as well as info.

Lastly check out FortNine.com for boot repair kits pretty easy to do, boots from them are great quality and so much less expensive then Honda.

j

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Those tires are horrible for anything but muck & swamps. As others have suggested, get a radial AT type tire.....Bighorn 2.0 or similar. The shifting will smooth out some with a few miles, and I wonder if a lighter tire/smoother tread might help that also, the "thump, thump, thump...." of the tires gets transferred to the drive line, given the direct connection of the geared transmission, unlike a belt drive, it could cause it to jerk when shifting.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Central Florida. Like they said, change out tires. Being the trusting person that I am. LMAO. I would also change out the engine oil and differential grease with a synthetic type. I then would drive it a while, then adjust the clutch. As for remorse. I don't think so, they are great little machines. There are numerous threads on here about use of synthetics and mods. Have fun.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
cheaper made tires ride bad, even the aggressive ones from itp or one of the other big names ride smooth with the current designs, mud lite 2 in 27inch ride smooth as stock and are way better in the snow and mud that most of the others

Reactions: rtn001
C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
Mine was rough shifting at fist and again like others have said it smooths out.i like the manual mode better than auto.

Reactions: 500oneer
mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Im surprised (and glad) that no one has shown any concern due to the fact it's been snorkelled. To me thats an indication this unit was destined for severe duty. But having rescued it at 400 miles I guess I'm ok.

Still concerned, and I'm keeping the Rhino until I'm 100 % on the P5.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Im surprised (and glad) that no one has shown any concern due to the fact it's been snorkelled. To me thats an indication this unit was destined for severe duty. But having rescued it at 400 miles I guess I'm ok.

Still concerned, and I'm keeping the Rhino until I'm 100 % on the P5.
I agree with you. Big aggressive tires, snorkeled and extended vent lines says mud and water. Also the oil change before recommend time. That was was why suggested the oil change and if you are going to do it I would go to the synthetic. They are recommend mods. Just wondering if he put spacers on with the big tires.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I have to agree with everyone else, new tires and an adjustment should smooth things out. I had the same concern on the shifting when I first got my P500, but as everyone has said miles smoothed it right out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!