BOX1

P500 Is this a fair deal? P500

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all, first post but maybe this deal will work out and I can stay! I'm looking to buy a p500 but not sure if this is a fair deal or not. I know they sold brand new for not much more than this, but everything is crazy now and doesn't seem to be getting better.

It's a 2016 pioneer 500 for 7000$ here in Arizona, 1000 miles great shape. No extras, just the utv. A local dealer gave me an OTD of 10,900$ on a brand new one (500 not 520), so it's 4K off.

Am I getting railed or a fair deal? Hold off, or send it?

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
Seems high to me but, lack of new inventory has been a huge issue the last couple years.
Yeah, seems that way! No haggling with dealers now, that's for sure. Wish I wasn't a fresh college grad right before covid and could have bought the toys I wanted then 😬! Tough prices to swallow on everything these days

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah, seems that way! No haggling with dealers now, that's for sure. Wish I wasn't a fresh college grad right before covid and could have bought the toys I wanted then 😬! Tough prices to swallow on everything these days
The only real concern with buying a used machine in AZ is dirt ingestion.

If you can, pull out the air filter and swipe the intake with your finger, you shouldn't have a dirty finger.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I won't offer any advice but others that are much smarter than I will chime in shortly. Even if you don't get one now you can still hang around and maybe learn stuff for when you do get something.
Just remember Red is the fastest, and whatever you decide, if you don't post pictures it didn't happen.
welcome to the club from East Tennessee.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re paying cash they probably won’t have any trouble selling it at that price. If you have to finance any portion of it…wait. Save up. The market on these is going to crash eventually and you will be prepared to take advantage of someone’s fire sale.

That’s my two cents for what it’s worth.

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
If you’re paying cash they probably won’t have any trouble selling it at that price. If you have to finance any portion of it…wait. Save up. The market on these is going to crash eventually and you will be prepared to take advantage of someone’s fire sale.

this'll be a cash purchase with disposable income. It would be a different story if it was a 20k 1000-5 😵

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
I won't offer any advice but others that are much smarter than I will chime in shortly. Even if you don't get one now you can still hang around and maybe learn stuff for when you do get something.
Just remember Red is the fastest, and whatever you decide, if you don't post pictures it didn't happen.
welcome to the club from East Tennessee.
Thanks for the welcome! Good to know about red. Maybe I can find some stickers to put on it for extra horsepower too.

You're right, been having a good time just browsing people's builds on here!

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Hi all, first post but maybe this deal will work out and I can stay! I'm looking to buy a p500 but not sure if this is a fair deal or not. I know they sold brand new for not much more than this, but everything is crazy now and doesn't seem to be getting better.

It's a 2016 pioneer 500 for 7000$ here in Arizona, 1000 miles great shape. No extras, just the utv. A local dealer gave me an OTD of 10,900$ on a brand new one (500 not 520), so it's 4K off.

Am I getting railed or a fair deal? Hold off, or send it?

The market is still crazy. The price does seem a bit high but, how badly do you want to get one? You can always wait for a better deal. It just really depends on your plans, wants and needs.

I could have waited for my P520 but, I got a call earlier than expected when another buyer backed out of their order....and it happened to be peak riding season so I bought it.

Mike

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
The market is still crazy. The price does seem a bit high but, how badly do you want to get one? You can always wait for a better deal. It just really depends on your plans, wants and needs.

I could have waited for my P520 but, I got a call earlier than expected when another buyer backed out of their order....and it happened to be peak riding season so I bought it.

Mike
Yeah that's really the question, isn't it. Im tired of busting up my truck hunting and exploring here in central AZ, so that's why I want to get one before the fall. I figure that the SXS is a lot cheaper than buying a capable jeep. But I'd feel like a real sucker if prices dropped 2-3K before 2023.

Guess it's just a judgement call at the end of the day

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
^^^^
That's for sure!

I didn't want to pay MSRP for my P520 but, that's what I chose to do in order to have it for this season. IMHO, the enjoyment is worth the expense.

Mike

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
FWIW, they haven't changed much through the years. Pretty much the same every year.
I think the 2016 doesn't downshift by itself in manual shifting mode like newer ones do . . . that can be a pro or a con depending on the individual.

Anyhow, welcome and good luck.

Reactions: Andyy
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't what to bust your bubble, but that's a crazy price for a 16 model. When this, pay retail, crap is over that machine will take a big hit in value. You are way to close to the cost of a brand new unit. What's a few thousand bucks on a machine you going to have for years. And if you buy a new one now, when you go to sell it the value will reflect the age of the unit. This retail won't last forever. People wallets are close to running out.

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
I don't what to bust your bubble, but that's a crazy price for a 16 model. When this, pay retail, crap is over that machine will take a big hit in value. You are way to close to the cost of a brand new unit. What's a few thousand bucks on a machine you going to have for years. And if you buy a new one now, when you go to sell it the value will reflect the age of the unit. This retail won't last forever. People wallets are close to running out.
No bubble here, if there was I wouldn't have asked 🙂 haven't bought it yet and still muling it over

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I didn't purchase my P520 as an investment. I don't really care about it's value. I bought it for fun. ;)

That said, in the OP's case, if not much has changed on the P500 since 2016, then the decision should come down to condition, more so than age. If this example is clean, low mileage and in exceptional condition, then perhaps its not such a bad deal when compared to others? I don't know....that's just me thinking out loud.

Mike

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW, they haven't changed much through the years. Pretty much the same every year.
I think the 2016 doesn't downshift by itself in manual shifting mode like newer ones do . . . that can be a pro or a con depending on the individual.

Anyhow, welcome and good luck.
I don't think they came out with the auto trans until '17 so it shouldn't do any shifting on it's own.

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I made it out to check out the machine and it was in significantly worse condition then advertised. I passed on it, and will continue to look for other better contenders.

Oh well, but glad I wasn't desperate enough to get into a bad deal. Not looking forward to another hunting season of abusing my old truck on our public lands, but hey, weird market for SXS.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Good luck with your search. The P5 is a gnarly rascal, and it's not for everyone.

This forum is an invaluable source of all things Pioneer . . .

Reactions: Rdrcr and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Is that what your waiting for?

Reactions: Smittyp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!