P1000m5 Just Pick My Tires for Me...

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey everybody. I’ve been a member for a long time but I’ve hardly ever posted anything. I do, however, stay in the forum all the time and read every thread that interests me, so I feel like I know some of you though I know I’ll be a stranger to you guys.

Anyway, I humbly request some advice from you knowledgeable veterans. I have a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Base model that I bought new in July 2018. I have about 2000 miles on the stock tires now and despite all the bad things I’ve heard about the stockers, they’ve actually been pretty good to me. No flats, no punctures, and they’ve had pretty decent tread wear. I’m not exactly easy on them, either. I live in a rural location and though I don’t mainly ride pavement, I do ride it a lot to get to other locations and dirt roads. My neighbor has a 1000-3 and we do a lot of hog hunting with dogs. This often means busting trails through some thick stuff, never really knowing what you’re going to run up on. Logs, briars, roots, rocks, and sharp broken sticks are the usual. We also sometimes have to unexpectedly cross creeks, climb steep hills, and get into the occasional mud. Not a lot of mud (I’ll never sink mine up to the steering wheel), but it can be pretty soft and slick. Also I’m in Northeast Georgia, and our red clay is like grease when it’s wet. All that considered, I’ve never been stuck and only had to use 4wd a couple of times with the stock tires. I know, I probably sound like a newb to some of you more extreme guys.

Now my dilemma. The stock tires are ready to be swapped out and I’m about to have a mental breakdown trying to choose. I had settled on going the LT tire route with 235/75-15 tires on 15” beadlock rims, but then backtracked and decided on 14” beadlocks in case I ever wanted to go with more aggressive UTV tires in 28x10-14. I’ve looked at and researched:

Tusk Terrabites (heard they throw gravel, and we ride a lot of dirt roads)

Tensor Regulators (heavy)

Quadboss QBT846 (not true to size)

Maxxis Carnivores (may not hold up well on pavement)

STI X Comp (heavy)

SuperATV Warriors (need to win the lottery first)

Braven Berserkers (also expensive, could try to wait on a sale)

Kanati Mongrels (bad in mud)

And many more. Basically any reputable UTV tire that isn’t a dedicated mud or sand tire. If the Kenda Bear Claw HTR had a better load rating, they would have been my definite choice, but with the wife and kids riding or with a couple of big hogs loaded in the back, I can’t risk those.

So...who wants to just tell me what to order so I can finally relax? Seriously though, from what I mentioned, if anybody has any real world experience with these, good or bad, your input would be VERY appreciated. I’m also open to suggestions on anything I didn’t mention. With my mix of pavement, dirt roads, trail, mud, clay, sandy creeks, rocks, and the need for puncture resistance, my head is spinning. I feel like I’ve looked at everything and at this point I’m starting to lean back towards the LT tire option. Thank you in advance for any advice you guys decide to give, and ride safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey everybody. I’ve been a member for a long time but I’ve hardly ever posted anything. I do, however, stay in the forum all the time and read every thread that interests me, so I feel like I know some of you though I know I’ll be a stranger to you guys.

Anyway, I humbly request some advice from you knowledgeable veterans. I have a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Base model that I bought new in July 2018. I have about 2000 miles on the stock tires now and despite all the bad things I’ve heard about the stockers, they’ve actually been pretty good to me. No flats, no punctures, and they’ve had pretty decent tread wear. I’m not exactly easy on them, either. I live in a rural location and though I don’t mainly ride pavement, I do ride it a lot to get to other locations and dirt roads. My neighbor has a 1000-3 and we do a lot of hog hunting with dogs. This often means busting trails through some thick stuff, never really knowing what you’re going to run up on. Logs, briars, roots, rocks, and sharp broken sticks are the usual. We also sometimes have to unexpectedly cross creeks, climb steep hills, and get into the occasional mud. Not a lot of mud (I’ll never sink mine up to the steering wheel), but it can be pretty soft and slick. Also I’m in Northeast Georgia, and our red clay is like grease when it’s wet. All that considered, I’ve never been stuck and only had to use 4wd a couple of times with the stock tires. I know, I probably sound like a newb to some of you more extreme guys.

Now my dilemma. The stock tires are ready to be swapped out and I’m about to have a mental breakdown trying to choose. I had settled on going the LT tire route with 235/75-15 tires on 15” beadlock rims, but then backtracked and decided on 14” beadlocks in case I ever wanted to go with more aggressive UTV tires in 28x10-14. I’ve looked at and researched:

STI X Comp (heavy)

And many more. Basically any reputable UTV tire that isn’t a dedicated mud or sand tire. If the Kenda Bear Claw HTR had a better load rating, they would have been my definite choice, but with the wife and kids riding or with a couple of big hogs loaded in the back, I can’t risk those.

So...who wants to just tell me what to order so I can finally relax? Seriously though, from what I mentioned, if anybody has any real world experience with these, good or bad, your input would be VERY appreciated. I’m also open to suggestions on anything I didn’t mention. With my mix of pavement, dirt roads, trail, mud, clay, sandy creeks, rocks, and the need for puncture resistance, my head is spinning. I feel like I’ve looked at everything and at this point I’m starting to lean back towards the LT tire option. Thank you in advance for any advice you guys decide to give, and ride safe.

I wore out 2 sets of stock tires(12 inch rim) in 3200 miles. I have about 500 miles on a set of blackwater evo tires now. They are wearing better than I thought. I only ride pavement to get to different trails. I got 28x10x12s on stock 12 inch rims. I put about 200 miles on them, being 2 inches more narrow in the rear. You couldn't tell it by looking. I put 1 inch spacers on the rear after that. Then I had to add mudbusters because the rear was throwing mud up under my roof. I'm happy with them so far. I'm gonna buy them again for my 3 seater.

R

rickoshea

no tire is a do it all tire but it sounds like a carnivore or an evo is what you need.those are going to be my go to's,(price will decide which one) when ever my stock bighorns wear out.i still haven't punctured mine either.i'm pleasantly surprised with them despite all the hate on for them.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4

STI X Comp (heavy)

Same here. Researched, contemplated and changed my mind several times over the last 4 months. Finally pulled the trigger on carnivoreS and rims. PM me if you’d be interested in me quoting whatever you choose.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

STI X Comp (heavy)

If your having good luck with the OEM Bighorn 2 on the base, might try the OEM Bighorn 2 radials that come on the Deluxe and LE models. I have had all around great luck with my OEM tires as well with nearly 3500 miles on them. Same as you no flats, about half tread left, a good all around tire. So if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just because seemingly everyone's opinion that OEM is crap is no reason to abandon what works for your use.

So don't count out replacing what you have had good luck with for the same type tires.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your having good luck with the OEM Bighorn 2 on the base, might try the OEM Bighorn 2 radials that come on the Deluxe and LE models. I have had all around great luck with my OEM tires as well with nearly 3500 miles on them. Same as you no flats, about half tread left, a good all around tire. So if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just because seemingly everyone's opinion that OEM is crap is no reason to abandon what works for your use.

So don't count out replacing what you have had good luck with for the same type tires.

i dont think the base comes with big horns🤔 they didnt come with mine but i could be wrong:)

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i dont think the base comes with big horns🤔 they didnt come with mine but i could be wrong:)
My 18 base had the black stone tires. They get the job done. They are round and black and got me through a few trips to the black hills.

The factory deluxe bighorns are a huge upgrade in terms of traction in snow for sure.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My 18 base had the black stone tires. They get the job done. They are round and black and got me through a few trips to the black hills.

The factory deluxe bighorns are a huge upgrade in terms of traction in snow for sure.
After looking at close up pictures of a base model on Hondas website, you are correct, they are not Bighorn 2.0. I knew base model had bias ply tires just figured they used the same tread on the 12" wheels instead of 14".

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

STI X Comp (heavy)

ITP Blackwater Evo or System3 XTR 370 Imo.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some of you mentioned the Blackwater EVOs, which I have also considered but neglected to put in my original post. I have heard mostly good things about them as well. And yes, my base model came with the black stone tires, not Bighorns. They have performed well, but I was just hoping that an aftermarket tire would hold up to the pavement a little better and maybe handle a little better. The stockers are a little squishy in corners. That’s why I considered LT tires so hard...I figured I’d never wear them out. I saw the System 3 mentioned as well...I have looked at them as well. A little heavy, but not as bad as some. I may give them another look.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some of you mentioned the Blackwater EVOs, which I have also considered but neglected to put in my original post. I have heard mostly good things about them as well. And yes, my base model came with the black stone tires, not Bighorns. They have performed well, but I was just hoping that an aftermarket tire would hold up to the pavement a little better and maybe handle a little better. The stockers are a little squishy in corners. That’s why I considered LT tires so hard...I figured I’d never wear them out. I saw the System 3 mentioned as well...I have looked at them as well. A little heavy, but not as bad as some. I may give them another look.

You’ll be fine with the extra weight on 28’s, I just put 30’s on mine.

77630DB7 E4D9 49DE AED3 EDCE646C5CAA

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like those tires, too bad they don’t make a 28.

Roctane XDs are a great tire as well. They are heavy but tough as nails. I was looking at Roctane X2s as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and Napaul
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I had every intention of going with 28x10x12 or 14 like you, but the tires I wanted seemed too expensive. The Berserkers never seem to have the great sale anymore. I waited a few months and they never dropped.... I figured they would go on sale as soon as I purchased tires, so now they will probably go down in price. Yesterday I ordered a set of Federal Couragia tires in 235x75x15. I found a set of 15" Fuel rims locally for 350 with a set of 31" BFG's mounted. So I'm going to sell them to recoup some cash.

I'm surprised the Bearclaw HTR's don't have that good of a load rating, being an 8 ply. I ran those for about 2500 miles on my 500 and they were excellent tires! I have recommended them many times and really never heard anything negative about them.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Roctane XDs are a great tire was well. They are heavy but tough as nails. I was looking at Roctane X2s as well.

I have looked at those too. I think if I’m going the “tough” tire route, I’m going to have to be ok with them being a little heavier. I was shooting for under 35 lbs, but I may move it up to under 40. It seems there are a lot of good options between 35 and 40 lbs in the size I want.

Reactions: BWAF and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have looked at those too. I think if I’m going the “tough” tire route, I’m going to have to be ok with them being a little heavier. I was shooting for under 35 lbs, but I may move it up to under 40. It seems there are a lot of good options between 35 and 40 lbs in the size I want.

I’ve had Roctane XDs, they are tough!

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had every intention of going with 28x10x12 or 14 like you, but the tires I wanted seemed too expensive. The Berserkers never seem to have the great sale anymore. I waited a few months and they never dropped.... I figured they would go on sale as soon as I purchased tires, so now they will probably go down in price. Yesterday I ordered a set of Federal Couragia tires in 235x75x15. I found a set of 15" Fuel rims locally for 350 with a set of 31" BFG's mounted. So I'm going to sell them to recoup some cash.

I'm surprised the Bearclaw HTR's don't have that good of a load rating, being an 8 ply. I ran those for about 2500 miles on my 500 and they were excellent tires! I have recommended them many times and really never heard anything negative about them.

I really like the HTRs and have heard nothing but good things about them. I was also surprised and disappointed at their load rating. It’s enough between all 4, but right on the edge. With a good load, it would be over their rating. Maybe Kenda is being conservative with that load rating, but I’d hate to chance it.

And yeah I’m still not sold on abandoning the LT tire idea. My only reservation is wanting to go back to a 14” wheel if I decide I want a more aggressive UTV tire. I guess I could just sell the 15s if I changed my mind. Recover some of the money, anyway.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Management may have changed now, but when I got my Berserkers after checking with them a few times about a sale, I finally asked him what was the best he could do on the price. IIRC is was about $145/ea including shipping.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!