P1000m5 Just Pick My Tires for Me...

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Management may have changed now, but when I got my Berserkers after checking with them a few times about a sale, I finally asked him what was the best he could do on the price. IIRC is was about $145/ea including shipping.

That sounds a lot better to my wallet. I may have to give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah and BWAF
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Management may have changed now, but when I got my Berserkers after checking with them a few times about a sale, I finally asked him what was the best he could do on the price. IIRC is was about $145/ea including shipping.

Even if I could get them for that price, that's still a LOT more money than buying the truck tires. In the end, I couldn't justify the additional cost vs truck tires. If I had found a deal on a set of 12" wheels instead of the 15" i found I may have gone with the berserkers. With the Federal tires and Fuel wheels, i'm going to be in for $722 total, minus whatever I can get out of the 31" tires that came on the 15" wheels. So roughly $630 all in for a new set of wheels and tires.

Hondahauler

Hondahauler

Apr 22, 2018
Custer South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check load capacity on any choices,that narrows it down.
I just ordered new set of maxxis bighorn 2.0 upgraded to 28 inch for my 1000-5 deluxe with 14" wheels.
My bighorn have never failed me in over 5500 miles.fronts showing wear,rears not bad.
I do run a lot in turf mode when on pavement to cut down on scrapping,firm believer this helps

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even if I could get them for that price, that's still a LOT more money than buying the truck tires. In the end, I couldn't justify the additional cost vs truck tires. If I had found a deal on a set of 12" wheels instead of the 15" i found I may have gone with the berserkers. With the Federal tires and Fuel wheels, i'm going to be in for $722 total, minus whatever I can get out of the 31" tires that came on the 15" wheels. So roughly $630 all in for a new set of wheels and tires.
That’s not a bad deal.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check load capacity on any choices,that narrows it down.
I just ordered new set of maxxis bighorn 2.0 upgraded to 28 inch for my 1000-5 deluxe with 14" wheels.
My bighorn have never failed me in over 5500 miles.fronts showing wear,rears not bad.
I do run a lot in turf mode when on pavement to cut down on scrapping,firm believer this helps

Solid advice. I do make sure to check load capacity when I consider a tire. That’s what knocked my favorite tire, the Kenda Bear Claw HTR, out of the running.

I know a lot of people are huge fans of the Bighorns. They seem like a really good tire. I think I’m still leaning toward the LT tire route. I like the Blackwater EVOs, but the System 3 tires, Carnivores, Tensor Regulators, and so on that I was most interested in are so close to a truck tire. They just cost more, weigh the same, don’t have as high a load rating, and won’t last as long. The only downside for LT tires is the slight increase in wheel weight and price. The LT tires price counters the wheels’ price though so it’s still a pretty good deal.

Reactions: Isaiah and BWAF
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Solid advice. I do make sure to check load capacity when I consider a tire. That’s what knocked my favorite tire, the Kenda Bear Claw HTR, out of the running.

I know a lot of people are huge fans of the Bighorns. They seem like a really good tire. I think I’m still leaning toward the LT tire route. I like the Blackwater EVOs, but the System 3 tires, Carnivores, Tensor Regulators, and so on that I was most interested in are so close to a truck tire. They just cost more, weigh the same, don’t have as high a load rating, and won’t last as long. The only downside for LT tires is the slight increase in wheel weight and price. The LT tires price counters the wheels’ price though so it’s still a pretty good deal.

I came to the same conclusion that you have. Last night I finally got my 15" wheels and truck tires (235/75/15 Federal Couragia) bolted on. On pavement, the difference is unreal. At high speed you hear the engine and drivetrain instead of the tires and they ride smooth as silk! I had balance beads installed so no more shaking. I climbed a hill on my property at WFO and did notice more wheelspin than the stock tires. I kinda expected that. I have not noticed a loss of acceleration, even though these tires and wheels seem heavier. The ride is a bit firmer but I have 20 psi in the tires. I will probably lower them to 14 or 15 and see how I like that. I am very happy with the tires so far!

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came to the same conclusion that you have. Last night I finally got my 15" wheels and truck tires (235/75/15 Federal Couragia) bolted on. On pavement, the difference is unreal. At high speed you hear the engine and drivetrain instead of the tires and they ride smooth as silk! I had balance beads installed so no more shaking. I climbed a hill on my property at WFO and did notice more wheelspin than the stock tires. I kinda expected that. I have not noticed a loss of acceleration, even though these tires and wheels seem heavier. The ride is a bit firmer but I have 20 psi in the tires. I will probably lower them to 14 or 15 and see how I like that. I am very happy with the tires so far!
I actually just looked at your new tires in the other thread. They look good! I've had my eye on some Forceum M/T tires on Amazon for $342 for the whole set. They make 2 styles - the originals and the "Plus". The originals have a little more open tread and are lighter which makes me like them a little better. Those Federals look pretty nice, though. Where did you find them?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have same tires and run 8 in front and 11 in rear they do ride rougher than utv tires but with some grooving it helps ride and traction I have 4000 miles on mile

20200105 160649

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I actually just looked at your new tires in the other thread. They look good! I've had my eye on some Forceum M/T tires on Amazon for $342 for the whole set. They make 2 styles - the originals and the "Plus". The originals have a little more open tread and are lighter which makes me like them a little better. Those Federals look pretty nice, though. Where did you find them?
Bought them from my tire wholesaler. We sell some tires where I work. They are just a little more money than the Forceum tires. I saw those and they look good. There is another one on amazon that look good too... they were like $100 a piece. These federals cost me about $96 each. Gonna take them in the woods today and see how they do.

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hope this helps the riders that like the OEM big horn 2.0. But the reason they catch a lot of grief is that the oem tires are 4 ply on the side walls. So if you wear out your OEM BH 2.0 and like the way the hook up then the after market ones will be better since they are 6 ply on the whole tire.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hope this helps the riders that like the OEM big horn 2.0. But the reason they catch a lot of grief is that the oem tires are 4 ply on the side walls. So if you wear out your OEM BH 2.0 and like the way the hook up then the after market ones will be better since they are 6 ply on the whole tire.
Yeah I think most people know that. For what we pay for these machines you’d think they’d at least give you a 6 ply.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I tested the tires a bit. I can definitely tell that they don't do as well in soft terrain and mud compared to the bighorn 2.0. Though I do think steering is improved off road and on. I'm still getting used to how a machine as heavy as the 1000 is in the mud. My 500 could float over some stuff, but the 1000 has to sink down to find traction. Had to use 4wd a couple times, even to crawl over some rotted logs in the woods. The new tires spin much easier in 2wd on grass. The handling is very sharp on the dirt roads. The balance beads in the tires work perfectly all the way up to max speed, and the tires are a lot quieter on pavement. They seem to do okay in the mud, but haven't gotten crazy yet. I'm happy with them so far, and I'm more confident now that I have tires that are a lot tougher. I'm still at 20 psi but I will be lowering the pressure. I think that may help them bite a bit better too.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tested the tires a bit. I can definitely tell that they don't do as well in soft terrain and mud compared to the bighorn 2.0. Though I do think steering is improved off road and on. I'm still getting used to how a machine as heavy as the 1000 is in the mud. My 500 could float over some stuff, but the 1000 has to sink down to find traction. Had to use 4wd a couple times, even to crawl over some rotted logs in the woods. The new tires spin much easier in 2wd on grass. The handling is very sharp on the dirt roads. The balance beads in the tires work perfectly all the way up to max speed, and the tires are a lot quieter on pavement. They seem to do okay in the mud, but haven't gotten crazy yet. I'm happy with them so far, and I'm more confident now that I have tires that are a lot tougher. I'm still at 20 psi but I will be lowering the pressure. I think that may help them bite a bit better too.

Now this is real feedback! A lot of folks (myself included sometimes) want to focus mostly on the good without mentioning the bad when it’s something they’ve spent money on. I really do appreciate your honest take and it’s something I’ll have to consider when making my choice. I still think I’d be well-served with LT tires, but the loss of a bit of soft terrain and mud capability is something I’ll have to give a lot of thought to. I don’t look for mud and avoid it when I can, but some of the places we run into when hunting...it’s nice to have the peace of mind.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Now this is real feedback! A lot of folks (myself included sometimes) want to focus mostly on the good without mentioning the bad when it’s something they’ve spent money on. I really do appreciate your honest take and it’s something I’ll have to consider when making my choice. I still think I’d be well-served with LT tires, but the loss of a bit of soft terrain and mud capability is something I’ll have to give a lot of thought to. I don’t look for mud and avoid it when I can, but some of the places we run into when hunting...it’s nice to have the peace of mind.

Yeah, it's something to consider. I went through some deep ruts that were soft ground and full of water deep enough to the hubs. I just put it in 4wd before going in and it did well. The front wheels seemed to hold a line a bit better in the mud than the stock bighorns did. I never liked how they would push. Turn the wheel and the machine kept going straight. The new tires seem to push less. I was able to crawl through easily without any noticeable wheel spin when in 4wd.

I avoid mud too! But of course sometimes you have to go through it. I think for my purposes I will be happy with these tires. At least if it starts to spin, the 1000 has some horsepower and that can be all the difference sometimes. I'm sure eventually i'll have to find out how the tires will do in a really sticky situation that calls for some more go-pedal.

Reactions: Napaul
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Also, I still have too much air in the tires. I think there is still some improvement to be found if I drop the pressure. I'd run 7 or 8 psi but I don't know how well the bead would stay on if the pressure was that low. I knocked a tire off the bead once on my 500 when I had the pressure low in a rocky trail. But those tires were not truck tires and I'd like to believe that the truck tires would hold on a bit better.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, it's something to consider. I went through some deep ruts that were soft ground and full of water deep enough to the hubs. I just put it in 4wd before going in and it did well. The front wheels seemed to hold a line a bit better in the mud than the stock bighorns did. I never liked how they would push. Turn the wheel and the machine kept going straight. The new tires seem to push less. I was able to crawl through easily without any noticeable wheel spin when in 4wd.

I avoid mud too! But of course sometimes you have to go through it. I think for my purposes I will be happy with these tires. At least if it starts to spin, the 1000 has some horsepower and that can be all the difference sometimes. I'm sure eventually i'll have to find out how the tires will do in a really sticky situation that calls for some more go-pedal.

I’ve been amazed what these things will go through just in turf mode or 2 wheel lock. I feel like the LT tires would probably perform just fine for me, but I’m also one who always tries to prepare for the worst. The puncture resistance, tread wear, and cost just make them very attractive.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, I still have too much air in the tires. I think there is still some improvement to be found if I drop the pressure. I'd run 7 or 8 psi but I don't know how well the bead would stay on if the pressure was that low. I knocked a tire off the bead once on my 500 when I had the pressure low in a rocky trail. But those tires were not truck tires and I'd like to believe that the truck tires would hold on a bit better.

That’s the main reason I decided to spring for beadlocks, especially if I go the LT route. I hadn’t given them much more than a passing glance until I thought about running such a low pressure in a truck tire.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ehart814 and @BWAF are you guys having any rubbing with your LT tires? I know a 235/75-15 is basically a 29" tire. I'm still looking and debating but this is something I thought about. There's another tire I discovered that I think checks all the boxes for me but I'd still rather go LT tires if I can get away with not having to buy A-arms.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@ehart814 and @BWAF are you guys having any rubbing with your LT tires? I know a 235/75-15 is basically a 29" tire. I'm still looking and debating but this is something I thought about. There's another tire I discovered that I think checks all the boxes for me but I'd still rather go LT tires if I can get away with not having to buy A-arms.

I've been riding a bit with them now. I can get the fronts to rub if you practically bottom out the front suspension. But it rubs in a way that won't hurt anything, and it's very slight. Someone else on here used a screw to hold the outer fender in tighter against the fender well. I don't think I will even worry about it. The tire just kisses the smooth surface and it really doesn't appear that it will hurt anything.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!