P1000 K&N Air Filter for Pioneer 1000

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you guys replacing the OEM with? K&N's are pricey but might be worth the $$. Are you just staying stock?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you guys replacing the OEM with? K&N's are pricey but might be worth the $$. Are you just staying stock?
I've stayed stock so far. Do you have a link to the k&n?

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got 1600 out of the stock...gonna stick with it for 40 bucks vs. 119 for k&n. Ordering a uni filter for my snorkle.Should make filter changes even less frequent.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Though not cheap, K&N at THEIR website is $80 and change.
I pulled mine at 1650 miles and it still looked great. Put'er back in and check it in another 1k miles. BTW...what a general PITA to get at. Simple $hit like plugs and A/F should be EASY...AND...it has more screws on the cover than the head of a small block Chevy.

H

HondaTech

Though not cheap, K&N at THEIR website is $80 and change.
I pulled mine at 1650 miles and it still looked great. Put'er back in and check it in another 1k miles. BTW...what a general PITA to get at. Simple $hit like plugs and A/F should be EASY...AND...it has more screws on the cover than the head of a small block Chevy.

I find it's easier to just remove the air box as an assembly. 2 bolts a couple plugs and clamps and the whole thing lifts out.

Make sure you clean around the box first before removing it this way though. It's a straight shot into the throttle bodies if anything falls in.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After seeing first-hand how well the stock filter keeps top of airbox (the part that counts) looking showroom new, I'll never use anything else.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Do you want engine problems cause this is how you get engine problems. Oh and say goodbye to your warranty as well.

I considered selling K&N filters because they are so well known, but as an air filter they aren't so great in an extremely dusty environment. The filter media is very open, relying on the oil to catch dust particles. I'm not an expert in filtration but this will work if you stay on top of the oil. Plus from years of ATV experience, many people that I knew used these and almost always required engine rebuilds. Back in the day I used UNI filters and never had an engine failure. Much more filter media thickness on a UNI than K&N! Just my personal observations.

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I considered selling K&N filters because they are so well known, but as an air filter they aren't so great in an extremely dusty environment. The filter media is very open, relying on the oil to catch dust particles. I'm not an expert in filtration but this will work if you stay on top of the oil. Plus from years of ATV experience, many people that I knew used these and almost always required engine rebuilds. Back in the day I used UNI filters and never had an engine failure. Much more filter media thickness on a UNI than K&N! Just my personal observations.
I agree! Used UNI for years, double's.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The very first item I began selling for my business is R2C air filters. I used one on my RZR 800 and was very impressed with the R2C performance considering the crappy 800 intake system. The filter worked!

Being a technical person like many other fine people here, I found testing info from R2C's website that will show filtering capabilities compared to several other brands.

Engine air filter testing webpage link

Screen shots of the webpage:

Screenshot 2020 04 14 Engine Air Filter Testing engine air filters R2CPerformance com1

Screenshot 2020 04 14 Engine Air Filter Testing engine air filters R2CPerformance com

A different webpage:
Screenshot 2020 04 14 ISO 5011 Testing Protoco Filters Circle Track R2CPerformance com

Reactions: CID and Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Unfortunately at this time, R2C does not currently offer an air filter for the Pioneer 1000, but they do offer a Talon air filter. I've sold many Talon filters, several to forum members here. Many filters sold for other brand UTVs also.

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There are several online filter comparisons and K & N has done poorly in most of them for decades, usually testing in the bottom 50% against other competitors. I've used oiled foam filters in my dirt bikes for nearly 50 years and not willing to change. Because of the poor intake location on the Talon I added a Uni 3" Pod on my Talon snorkel.

I gXGK7GX M

Reactions: Isaiah
G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So where does one find the R2c filters for the 1000?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish they made one.

I'm running a uni oiled prefilter and a k&n. I think this is an awesome setup. I have 2 prefilters so if I'm doing a longer weekend of riding I can swap filters.

IMG 20191019 171628

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X

The don't produce one yet. However, I've talked with them about getting one designed since it would be similar to the talon filter. Also mentioned to them that K&N makes one if R2C wants to compete. Said they would look into a filter for P1000. I've made the plea for you guys.

Strange market. K&N makes a P1000 filter, but R2C doesn't. R2C makes a Talon filter, but K&N doesn't. As soon as one is availble for P1000 R2C will notify the dealers, as they did with the Talon filter.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!