P500 Keeping up.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Hello. Just bought a p500. Curious as to how the p500 keeps up with the other brands on 50 inch trails. Polaris 570 and 900 trail cam am maverick trail. Reason I ask, is my friend also just bought a 50 inch can am trail 1000. I do know he will destroy me on wide open logging roads,however I'm more into the tight forested 50 inch riding. At any rate he says I'm going to wish I bought the same machiene as him, he jokes around and calls it a vespa. Ha. I guess we will see.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Don"t be concerned about not having a larger motor. Most of the 50" trails in Colorado are rock crawling slow trails and bigger is no advantage what so ever. I know a lot of people have have these big engine 50" machines and at the end of the day we are at exactly the same place.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
In tight trails you will run with him no problem. I never had any problem keeping up with other machines when in the trails. When the trails really open up, they will walk away from you. But the way the trails are around here, seldom do you get over 25 mph in the woods. Buy some 26" radial tires and you will be very happy

Reactions: Fischer and Wallace
S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I ride with a guy who has a 1000, and like it has been stated he blows me away on logging roads. However anywhere else I go every place he can and maybe even a few places he can't, goats will go places horses can not. Not only that, if I wanted to do 50mph on a logging road I would be in my air conditioned 4X4 pickup.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Sounds like you need a new friend ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing and Wallace
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I ride with lots of bigger machines General, rzr’s and rangers and I have no trouble keeping up. The only time they pull away from me is on gravel roads, all the trails I can run with them. One guy with a general gets frustrated when I push him up a trail, he does his best to run away from me but rarely can. It’s very rare I find any trail other than a gravel road that you can run more than 20mph in any machine. If you have not done it already look into some bigger tires and spacers it really helps the machine perform. Even just jumping up to a 25” tire helps a lot. I originally went with 25” but am up to 27” now.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I ride with lots of bigger machines General, rzr’s and rangers and I have no trouble keeping up. The only time they pull away from me is on gravel roads, all the trails I can run with them. One guy with a general gets frustrated when I push him up a trail, he does his best to run away from me but rarely can. It’s very rare I find any trail other than a gravel road that you can run more than 20mph in any machine. If you have not done it already look into some bigger tires and spacers it really helps the machine perform. Even just jumping up to a 25” tire helps a lot. I originally went with 25” but am up to 27” now.

From a guy planning on 27s and 4+3s, that's what I wanna hear! Oh yeah, and a torq locker hopefully . . .

Reactions: trigger
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
From a guy planning on 27s and 4+3s, that's what I wanna hear! Oh yeah, and a torq locker hopefully . . .
I have a locker ready to install as soon as I get time. Can’t wait to try it out. I’m running 27x9 all the way around on 5+2. I am also running 2” rear 1” front spacers but I think 4+3 with no spacers would be about perfect.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Are you running spacers? I can not because I need 50 inch width

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I only ride with 1000xp's and a few Maverick's. I have no issues keeping up because these stupid bastards will avoid the cool trail that goes to the waterfall or eternal flame and instead take that impossible 2mph crawling trail that has that hill with that "kick out" at the top that my short wheelbase makes trying it a serious health risk. I hate it, I am over it (I need to find some regular UTV's or farm rigs to ride with).

So, keeping up with a serious technical rider is not as much an issue for a modded P5 (Spacers, tall tires, a LOCKER etc..) He has a longer wheel base, that REALLY helps on hills, and the RIDE QUALITY will let the other guys stay out a lot longer than I am willing in a P5.

Reactions: trigger
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I only ride with 1000xp's and a few Maverick's. I have no issues keeping up because these stupid bastards will avoid the cool trail that goes to the waterfall or eternal flame and instead take that impossible 2mph crawling trail that has that hill with that "kick out" at the top that my short wheelbase makes trying it a serious health risk. I hate it, I am over it (I need to find some regular UTV's or farm rigs to ride with).

So, keeping up with a serious technical rider is not as much an issue for a modded P5 (Spacers, tall tires, a LOCKER etc..) He has a longer wheel base, that REALLY helps on hills, and the RIDE QUALITY will let the other guys stay out a lot longer than I am willing in a P5.

I really hate tough rock crawling. Slow rocky trails are fun, but I just will not ride technical rocks. Even if I had full skid plates. I just absolutely hate the feeling of rocks slamming on the bottom of the machine and the risk of damage. It's just not fun at all to me.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Are you running spacers? I can not because I need 50 inch width
Yep 2” rear 1” front, originally I had 25” tires on stock wheels with just the 1” rear spacers. That kept the width at 50” and that setup worked well.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Had 2 Generals pull over and let me go by on some tight twisty trails this past weekend. Their wheelbase was just too long to make the tight turns without stopping and backing up. That being said I move over and let everyone else go by when the trail opens up. Every machine has its strong and weak points.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!