Knee padding for us long-legged drivers

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm 6'4" and the Talon is right on the ragged edge of comfort for me, with the seat in the most rearward position. Even then, my knees rest on the red console and the door panel. This isn't a big deal for short rides, but can become uncomfortable over longer duration rides or particularly rough terrain. To mitigate this (hopefully) I've come up with a fairly simple solution. I ordered some adhesive backed neoprene material from Amazon, 5/16" thick, 7" x 7" squares. The package included 10 pieces and cost $15.99 shipped (if you're a Prime member).

I used a piece of copier paper to fashion a template, laying it on the affected area and tracing the desired shape with a pencil, cutting it out and transferring it to one of the neoprene squares. Then, I cut the neoprene using a sharp X-Acto knife. Finally, I cleaned the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and applied the pad. Here's a few pictures of the results:

20190519 112058

20190519 112155

20190519 111818

20190519 111959

Haven't spent any time yet on the trail since installing the pads, but hope it provides a useful remedy. Here's a link to the neoprene squares from Amazon:

Neoprene Sponge Foam Rubber Squares

If you're long-legged like me you might want to give it a shot.

Steve

Last edited:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm 6'4" and the Talon is right on the ragged edge of comfort for me, with the seat in the most rearward position. Even then, my knees rest on the red console and the door panel. This isn't a big deal for short rides, but can become uncomfortable over longer duration rides or particularly rough terrain. To mitigate this (hopefully) I've come up with a fairly simple solution. I ordered some adhesive backed neoprene material from Amazon, 5/16" thick, 7" x 7" squares. The package included 10 pieces and cost $15.99 shipped (if you're a Prime member).

I used a piece of copier paper to fashion a template, laying it on the affected area and tracing the desired shape with a pencil, cutting it out and transferring it to one of the neoprene squares. Then, I cut the neoprene using a sharp X-Acto knife. Finally, I cleaned the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and applied the pad. Here's a few pictures of the results:

View attachment 130107

View attachment 130108

View attachment 130109

View attachment 130110

Haven't spent any time yet on the trail since installing the pads, but hope it provides a useful remedy. Here's a link to the neoprene squares from Amazon:

Steve
Good idea, nice job

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish it would help in the 500. Being 6'9" I have no room for a pad. Had I the option to remove the wheel well, I would've done so, but then I'd eat mud and my foot would get ripped off. I see a market for your pads to the public. Great Idea.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wish it would help in the 500. Being 6'9" I have no room for a pad. Had I the option to remove the wheel well, I would've done so, but then I'd eat mud and my foot would get ripped off. I see a market for your pads to the public. Great Idea.

Thanks, 100Acre!

Steve

Reactions: BWAF
RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great idea! You win the "Keep It Simple" award. I've been trying to come up with some way to keep my knee from getting worn out by console on rough trails.

M

Morris1219

Aug 27, 2019
Dallas TX
Ownership

1. Talon R
So doing this, I am 6’4” as well so definitely can see this helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stellarpod
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 130107

View attachment 130108

View attachment 130109

View attachment 130110

Steve
I love that Steve, are you making them for all? $$$

• Haha
Reactions: stellarpod
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm 6'1" and it seems tight for me. I couldn't imagine being 6' 4". Has anyone tired adding some tube steel to the seat to lift your butt up and thus add a little room? I'm not sure if that is counter productive or not. I know some guys did that to RZR's. But the cab of a RZR is small compared to the Talon.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Has anyone tired adding some tube steel to the seat to lift your butt up and thus add a little room?
Yes, I think it was @Sheetmetalfab that has done that....

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm 6'1" and it seems tight for me. I couldn't imagine being 6' 4". Has anyone tired adding some tube steel to the seat to lift your butt up and thus add a little room? I'm not sure if that is counter productive or not. I know some guys did that to RZR's. But the cab of a RZR is small compared to the Talon.

I considered doing that, but decided it was just more trouble than I wanted to strap on. Honestly, although I could use a little more room in the Talon, it's manageable. My height is mostly in my torso length, with 34" inseams, so it probably fits me more like it does you than you might think.

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am 6'4" and did this...

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
And @Sheetmetalfab did this on a 4 seater...

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!