TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made my own Pull-Pal for my trucks, years ago. Pics below. It can't be carried in the Pioneer easily as it's about four feet long and heavy. Built on the principle of off you're gonna do something , run it into the ground (and deeply). That's s yardstick laying beside it.

For years, I've looked for an ATV/UTV land anchor design to fabricate my own. I want a one man setup that doesn't require someone else to hold it in place while the winch sinches down.

Poking around on eBay, I saw this. Wondered what y'all think about the design and if you have anything you use?

I'm thinking for use in the middle of a hay field or wide open field of Gumbo mud and no natural winch anchors.

411971322 L 411971327T 411971323 L 411971326 411971324

Last edited:
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
From the description.....

***THIS IS NOT A FULL-SIZE ITEM! This is for a 1:10 scale rc (radio controlled) vehicle! Do not order for your full size vehicle. See measurements below.

Laser-cut, hand welded w/ main shovel and added harpoon-style hook on back-bone. Finished in Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating for added durability.

I am assuming you mean to fabricate a full size version of that design?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen these. But I honestly can't ever see myself needing it.
Of course, now that I said that, I will get stuck, alone, somewhere where there are no trees. lol
Nah, they’ll be a tree. It’ll be 125’ away and 24” around if you have 126’10” of line and material including your socks with ya. And about the time you realize it is 2” too short is when last nights horrible Taco Bell decision will hit ya.

Nomojic

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the description.....

***THIS IS NOT A FULL-SIZE ITEM! This is for a 1:10 scale rc (radio controlled) vehicle! Do not order for your full size vehicle. See measurements below.

Laser-cut, hand welded w/ main shovel and added harpoon-style hook on back-bone. Finished in Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating for added durability.

I am assuming you mean to fabricate a full size version of that design?
Exactly. I should've been more clear.

The design was intriguing as it had the ability flip it over is the conditions were more suitable

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 401476View attachment 401477
Here is what I built for our ATV out of a fence post and scrap metal. I I opted to used I would need to beef up the angle support but it works great.
Good idea, Pirata!
Can you set it up by yourself, or do you need a buddy to hold it while you start to tighten your winch line?

Do you think another piece of gusseting further up would increase the rigidity for a heavier vehicle?

I like the concept and use of readily available materials.

Reactions: Rayger143
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dunno if I'd trust making it out of a fence post, the emphasis there leans towards making them "cheap" rather than going for strength. From my limited experience, it doesn't take a whole lot of side loading to bend them and the "T" shape doesn't lend itself to resist twisting or torque all that well.

Reactions: Smitty335
Pirata

Pirata

Jul 20, 2023
2nd Star to the Right
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Good idea, Pirata!
Can you set it up by yourself, or do you need a buddy to hold it while you start to tighten your winch line?

Do you think another piece of gusseting further up would increase the rigidity for a heavier vehicle?

I like the concept and use of readily available materials.
I have a wireless remote for the winch on my ATV however if I was using the remote on out UTV I would either need someone to hold it or be within remote cable range.

advertisement
Pirata

Pirata

Jul 20, 2023
2nd Star to the Right
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Dunno if I'd trust making it out of a fence post, the emphasis there leans towards making them "cheap" rather than going for strength. From my limited experience, it doesn't take a whole lot of side loading to bend them and the "T" shape doesn't lend itself to resist twisting or torque all that well.
I have not seen a structural capacity for a fence post but after pulling hundreds of them over the years I have had many bend but only 2 that I remember break. Side to side is where you lose the rigidity and strength. Put her in straight and she should be good. I even put a shackle on the end to attach a strap before use so you can recover the anchor after use. Another idea I toyed with was using a plow style boat anchor as they are designed to dig in and welding a recovery shackle on the back side would be easy.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Honestly I know what it’s like not having anything to pull from in a 1/2 mile radius…..but, I have dug a hole with a camp shovel, and buried a rock with a strap looped on it.

If your stuck in the deep muck with all the wheels mucked in…it won’t matter how big of ground anchor you have…

I would rather carry a camp shovel and a jack.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did look at this plow style boat anchor.

Five Oceans Delta Style Wing Anchor, Boat Anchor, Premium Series, for Pontoon, Fishing Boats, Sport Boats, Sailboats

It has holes in either end for a shackle. It's only 9 pounds and 20 inches long. Same seller makes larger versions when you look at this one. $76

ISURE MARINE Hot Dipped Galvanized Steel Boat Anchor Delta Anchor Triangle Plow Anchor 11 pounds, 21 inches long , $49

Pirata -I've used an attachment for a high lift jack to pull fence posts and tractors. They don't just pop right out 😊

Last edited:
G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
None of these wouldn't work for me, where I ride in NH "The Granite State" ya can't dig 2" without hitting a rock

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Same problem in Arkansas but at least there are trees. No trees or anything thing else to anchor off in South Dakota.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!