P1000 Land Anchor Experience?

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys,

Anyone out there that uses a land anchor or the Pull-Pal specifically? I thought I'd go out for a quick rip while waiting for the winch and the Tough Country bumper to come in. I ended up getting stuck in a few feet of sugar snow on a power line trail. The top crust was frozen and I broke through and high centred the machine pretty quickly. I shovelled out under the machine and backed it out onto the frozen crust again after two hours sweating. I was thinking how the land anchors would do with the winch in a situation like that. I've heard some good things about the Pull-Pal. Anyone with experience with land anchors?? We get some pretty deep drifts above the tree line in June and July. It would be nice to carry a recovery solution onboard that worked when there's nothing to hook a winch onto.

Thanks

WP 20170301 11 45 31 Pro WP 20170301 11 50 01 Pro WP 20170301 11 50 23 Pro WP 20170301 11 50 35 Pro DCP 1299

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've never driven mine on dry ground. There's always been snow on the ground. I've never used an anchor so can't give you any advise there. I did figure out very quickly that the stock tires are horrible in snow. Put on a set of Ripsaws and the difference is night and day.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Hey Guys,

Anyone out there that uses a land anchor or the Pull-Pal specifically? I thought I'd go out for a quick rip while waiting for the winch and the Tough Country bumper to come in. I ended up getting stuck in a few feet of sugar snow on a power line trail. The top crust was frozen and I broke through and high centred the machine pretty quickly. I shovelled out under the machine and backed it out onto the frozen crust again after two hours sweating. I was thinking how the land anchors would do with the winch in a situation like that. I've heard some good things about the Pull-Pal. Anyone with experience with land anchors?? We get some pretty deep drifts above the tree line in June and July. It would be nice to carry a recovery solution onboard that worked when there's nothing to hook a winch onto.

Thanks

View attachment 37357 View attachment 37358 View attachment 37359 View attachment 37360 View attachment 37361
LOL that stinks, I did the same thing the first day I owned mine, got it high centered in deep snow with no winch with in minutes of unloading it off the trailer. But I did have a come along and trees close by to help lesson #1 learned, the pioneer is NOT like an atv in these situations. Pull pal is a great idea as long as it will hold in the snow.

Reactions: SikorskyGramps
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never driven mine on dry ground. There's always been snow on the ground. I've never used an anchor so can't give you any advise there. I did figure out very quickly that the stock tires are horrible in snow. Put on a set of Ripsaws and the difference is night and day.

The Ripsaws look pretty aggressive for sure! You can see how the snow just packed onto all four tires creating slicks with zero tread on the stockers.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL that stinks, I did the same thing the first day I owned mine, got it high centered in deep snow with no winch with in minutes of unloading it off the trailer. But I did have a come along and trees close by to help lesson #1 learned, the pioneer is NOT like an atv in these situations. Pull pal is a great idea as long as it will hold in the snow.

That's nice to hear that I'm not the only one ;) I've seen a few videos with the larger Pull-Pal holding in snow winching a Jeep up a fairly steep incline through a snow drift. The smallest size they make is listed at 3000 pounds and under vehicle weight which would work great for the Pioneer. They have a slick mounting system like the Hi-Lift jacks that clamps straight onto the ROPS. I just wish the damn price wasn't so high!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Soon as I get some measurements I'm gonna attempt to create one more UTV friendly. Not to mention alot cheaper. Wish I could find an old turning plow to steal the plows off of. They'd make a great base for a land anchor lol

advertisement
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Guys,

I was in the same snow-stuck situation last week in my P5. I had some small trees around but not within reach of my 45 feet of usable synthetic winch rope. Luckily I had a spool of 1/4" poly line with me. Had to double up the poly, but managed to reach out an extra 100 ft and attached to a couple of little trees. There was two of us so it only took 1 hour to winch out. First had to drag the front end around then set the winch 6 times and pulled through 100 m of the snow. Finally caught some traction. If I had needed an anchor I'd have buried a tree branch cross ways in the snow.
The Superwinch 3500S and folding shovel worked well... I'm carrying 75 ft of 5/16" marine braid now.
Al

Reactions: sharp and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!