P1000m5 Gear reduction experience?

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Anyone out there done a gear reduction and have some real feedback?

Thinking about doing it to help out in our sticky mud. I know many on here don’t believe it happens. But in our swampy clay mud and muskeg, once you run out of momentum in a hole, you’re usually screwed.

Wondering if anyone who has the reduction has some before and after insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have had it since I pretty much bought the buggy. I run 30s and it certainly helps a lot you will lose some speed though. The process itself is some what nerve wracking when you do your own install, but just take your time and feel free to ask questions

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I have had it since I pretty much bought the buggy. I run 30s and it certainly helps a lot you will lose some speed though. The process itself is some what nerve wracking when you do your own install, but just take your time and feel free to ask questions

I have found bits and pieces of info on it. And no real company doing it or anything. Who did yours?

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Also. Is yours as noisy as all the videos I see?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I was one of the first individuals to do my own. You take it apart and send him the cover so he can machine a larger hole in the case. then when you get it back you will have to take a die grinder and slowly grind away a spot or two so there is adequate clearance for the gear. No the noise is not bad at all. His original gear was cut and it was loud as hell, but after the install he sent be another primary drive gear and it is not louder that stock really. If you would like some one to install it I would ask him if he has anyone around your area that is installing he will know generally. He is a great guy to deal with always answers be promptly.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was one of the first individuals to do my own. You take it apart and send him the cover so he can machine a larger hole in the case. then when you get it back you will have to take a die grinder and slowly grind away a spot or two so there is adequate clearance for the gear. No the noise is not bad at all. His original gear was cut and it was loud as hell, but after the install he sent be another primary drive gear and it is not louder that stock really. If you would like some one to install it I would ask him if he has anyone around your area that is installing he will know generally. He is a great guy to deal with always answers be promptly.
Whats your top speed with 30" tires. By gps mine reads 5 mph slower on speedometer with stock gears.

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
So who does it. I can easily do the work. But haven found good info on who actually does the gears?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Reduction Boss is the name of the company on facebook. His name is Jeremy Lee

Reactions: knuckledeep
AKpioneer

AKpioneer

Sep 23, 2017
Wasilla, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reduction Boss is the name of the company on facebook. His name is Jeremy Lee

My machine is in the shop getting the clutch update and I talked to the dealer to see if they would install the gear reduction while they had it torn down ,and they said they would. Do you know if the NEW updated clutch gear and housing are the ones that need to be sent to Jeremy?

AKpioneer

AKpioneer

Sep 23, 2017
Wasilla, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone out there done a gear reduction and have some real feedback?

Thinking about doing it to help out in our sticky mud. I know many on here don’t believe it happens. But in our swampy clay mud and muskeg, once you run out of momentum in a hole, you’re usually screwed.

Wondering if anyone who has the reduction has some before and after insight?

I have the same issue with that nasty mud in Alaska! I’ve decided to go ahead and get it done and the dealer is doing it while they have it torn down for the clutch campaign. I won’t be able to give you any feedback this season, but come spring I’ll be able to let you know.

Reactions: knuckledeep
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
My machine is in the shop getting the clutch update and I talked to the dealer to see if they would install the gear reduction while they had it torn down ,and they said they would. Do you know if the NEW updated clutch gear and housing are the ones that need to be sent to Jeremy?

I don't think he does any machining to that cover its the housings below the one being replaced

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It's the plate that is about 1" thick that goes all the way to the oil tank and around the clutch that he opens up. I didn't have him machine mine. I can replace the outside, odd gear clutch but not the other without pulling the oil tank and that large plate. With 30" tires I can creep around at 2-3 mph with the clutch locked. It is awesome for technical trails and mud. Kinda sucks a little on the street and just running around in the yard. A lot more shifting and I don't know if there is a fix yet for the wide open throttle shifting yet. I think I've got what I need to get mine shifting right. Just need time to get it back together. Think my speedo shows 56 mph with the 30" evo's. Mine is the later model with the revised gear and is pretty close to stock on the whine. There is a little backlash, rattle sound at idle. The oem crank gear is 2 gears and one is spring loaded to take backlash out. His new one is just 1 piece. It's quite a bit lower geared with 30's vs the stock tires and gears.

AKpioneer

AKpioneer

Sep 23, 2017
Wasilla, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome info! Thanks! I’m super stoked about getting it. I spent half of my hunting trip stuck in the muskeg where as my buddy with the new defender got stuck once. I was a bit embarrassed (and pissed). I took the pictures into the dealer today of an earlier post on another thread to make sure we are getting the right one. I run 28” STI outback maxx. Really nice tires for the nasties!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!