P1000 Your experience with 1000-5 Fox shocks: Fox fronts/retain factory rears

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm convinced a new set of Fox front shocks is in my future. Want to keep the factory rears because of the self leveling feature. My loads range from 2 adults and a lunch cooler to 3 hunters with gear and a dead elk in the back.

I read up on people's experiences. Lots of guys got the fronts, bought the rears after the first ride. I really don't want to have to jack with spring preload in the rear based on anticipated loads.

If you have put the Fox fronts in but retained the stock rears, or if you have insights about what I'm contemplating, please share your experience.

Most of my riding is under 25 mph. Not trying to turn my Pioneer into a Razor. Lots of scrabble and rock here in AZ. Some sand in creek bottoms, but not "dunes" or whoops like a lot of you guys ride at speed. We do get a few "moguls" on some of the trails but mostly its smooth sand and a lotta rocks on our climbs. Tend to bottom up front, or bounce too much when negotiating rock scrabble, or encountering the unanticipated rock head poking up out of soft sand in a creek bottom.

Considered Elka and Walker Evans, but frankly I think the Fox will be my best bang for the buck and will do everything I need them to do, especially if I'm not going for new shocks on all 4 corners.

Reactions: Isaiah
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go with the fronts first, then decide later on the rears. I, too, contemplated the value of keeping the stock load leveling rears, but am glad I upgraded to Fox all around. The ride is so much better at all speeds. My original impetus for the upgrade was because the front bottomed out too easily with the stockers. The Fox's fronts with some pre-load cured that.

I've had 4 grown men and gear in this thing and the Fox rears handled it okay--just switch to medium or firm compression adjustment. I did recently change the rear springs to 14" at 325# linear rate, tho, to handle constant extra weight in the back: tool box and spare tire strapped to the bed extender. I had concerns over increasing the rear Fox springs pre-load to a point where the springs could bind with a heavy hit. Pretty satisfied with this setup now. To each, their own . . .

Reactions: JiminAZ and TripleB
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
So I'm convinced a new set of Fox front shocks is in my future. Want to keep the factory rears because of the self leveling feature. My loads range from 2 adults and a lunch cooler to 3 hunters with gear and a dead elk in the back.

I read up on people's experiences. Lots of guys got the fronts, bought the rears after the first ride. I really don't want to have to jack with spring preload in the rear based on anticipated loads.

If you have put the Fox fronts in but retained the stock rears, or if you have insights about what I'm contemplating, please share your experience.

Most of my riding is under 25 mph. Not trying to turn my Pioneer into a Razor. Lots of scrabble and rock here in AZ. Some sand in creek bottoms, but not "dunes" or whoops like a lot of you guys ride at speed. We do get a few "moguls" on some of the trails but mostly its smooth sand and a lotta rocks on our climbs. Tend to bottom up front, or bounce too much when negotiating rock scrabble, or encountering the unanticipated rock head poking up out of soft sand in a creek bottom.

Considered Elka and Walker Evans, but frankly I think the Fox will be my best bang for the buck and will do everything I need them to do, especially if I'm not going for new shocks on all 4 corners.
I did exactly what you're contemplating, and I bought the rears two days after riding with the fronts installed. I figured I didn't want to lose the self-leveling rears, but the difference in ride quality with the fronts just makes you realize how stiff the self levelers are. I just turn them to firm if I've got a load in the back like @AZRocks mentioned. I also swapped to a non-progressive rate rear spring (14" 300#).

J

jfreak

Jul 25, 2016
PNW
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just logged on to search/post this exact same question.
I don't carry much in the rear, just a 7yo and a gas can and air compressor.
But we do trails at 40mph+ but it is just too rough in the back for our 7yo. Had to put pillows under her just so she would get back in for another ride.

Budget only allows for one set right now, curious which we would benefit from most.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I just logged on to search/post this exact same question.
I don't carry much in the rear, just a 7yo and a gas can and air compressor.
But we do trails at 40mph+ but it is just too rough in the back for our 7yo. Had to put pillows under her just so she would get back in for another ride.

Budget only allows for one set right now, curious which we would benefit from most.
Fronts are more noticeable than stock sprung QS3 rears. My wife commented on how much better it rode and she HATES to ride. The rears are a nice improvement since you can run them with the softer dampening, but they are noticeably better with an aftermarket non-progressive spring. I'd go with the fronts and pick up the rears when your budget allows.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've kind of been on the fence about upgrading my shocks as well. Everyone says they are night and day difference, but I will be the first to say I know squat about adjusting or tuning them. Just curious if the fox upgrades are pretty straight forward and for the most part the only adjustment I would have to mess with is the 3 position valve? I use mine basically like @JiminAZ does, mostly slower speeds, but I want the ability to through a elk or load of wood in the back. I'm sure anything is better then stock but was just curious.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I've kind of been on the fence about upgrading my shocks as well. Everyone says they are night and day difference, but I will be the first to say I know squat about adjusting or tuning them. Just curious if the fox upgrades are pretty straight forward and for the most part the only adjustment I would have to mess with is the 3 position valve? I use mine basically like @JiminAZ does, mostly slower speeds, but I want the ability to through a elk or load of wood in the back. I'm sure anything is better then stock but was just curious.
Yep, the QS3's for the Pioneers are already setup for the 1k3 and 1k5 as far as the guts go. Super easy to adjust firmness with the 3 position selector.

Reactions: JiminAZ and TripleB
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, the QS3's for the Pioneers are already setup for the 1k3 and 1k5 as far as the guts go. Super easy to adjust firmness with the 3 position selector.
That's what I was hoping. I know a little about alot of stuff but I know nothing about shocks. One of the guys we ride with bought a used LE model that came with upgraded shocks, but I haven't go a chance to see the difference between my machine. I'm sure they would be nice and old uncle sam added a little tax refund to my account today, so I have a little riggo upgrade money burning a hole in my pocket.

Reactions: Adam490
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been pondering this same question. Wish I had money for shocks, they are expensive!

Reactions: Adam490
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode 1 time with the Fox fronts and stock rears. The rears are just so stiff. I think you'll be happier with all 4 but the fox shocks leave room for improvement. I really think that if you lean towards 25mph riding you'd be happier with a 300lb spring in the rear and Fox shocks

Last edited:
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've ran only the foxes on the front for five months now, ordered the rears yesterday. Hunting season postponed the upgrade. You can definitely tell the rear oem shocks are lacking with foxes on the front.

Reactions: JiminAZ
B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Az as well and use my 1000-5 primarily for hunting. I purchased the Fox fronts first and it took me about 2 weeks to go and purchase the rears as well. Such a better ride and it still handles the extra weight no problem. I rode with about 800lbs of bodies in mine a couple weeks ago. I did not bottom out once and it did not look like I was dragging ass either.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks to all of you for the detailed input.

My journey just began, I ordered a set of fronts from Procaliber.com

I'm getting more comfortable with replacing the rears. Assuming I want to change the rear springs to a 300 or 325 lb/in non progressive spring, what is the best way to procure? Hate to pay for the standard Fox product only to replace the springs. Can I call Fox and have them build me a set with the different spring? Or do I just have to bite the bullet.

Also, any further advice on optimum spring rate for the rears?

Reactions: Hondoman
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm getting more comfortable with replacing the rears. Assuming I want to change the rear springs to a 300 or 325 lb/in non progressive spring, what is the best way to procure? Hate to pay for the standard Fox product only to replace the springs. Can I call Fox and have them build me a set with the different spring? Or do I just have to bite the bullet.

I would run them as is for a while, you may not feel the need to upgrade the springs. That's my plan anyway.

J

JTW

I’m not aware of that option.. and likely it would cost you more than buying the standard shocks and just adding aftermarket springs.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who are the preferred aftermarket spring suppliers (for the rears) ?

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've ran only the foxes on the front for five months now, ordered the rears yesterday. Hunting season postponed the upgrade. You can definitely tell the rear oem shocks are lacking with foxes on the front.

Being you rode just the front for so long I think I would be cool if you would chime back in after a few rides on the rear.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!