Roborlilw

Roborlilw

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Tucson,Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I adjusted the preload on my rear Fox Qs3's by 1/2 inch right out of the box and the top 3 or 4 coils are compressed and touching with no load.
So to me, they are useless.
Still a better ride than the self adjusting shocks. The QA1 springs are looking pretty good right now.

Reactions: ToddACimer
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes thats the ones he used. He told me yesterday. Im ordering today.
You need 3" I.D. (inner diameter) for the rears, 2.5" I.D. is for the front QS3's.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I adjusted the preload on my rear Fox Qs3's by 1/2 inch right out of the box and the top 3 or 4 coils are compressed and touching with no load.
So to me, they are useless.
Still a better ride than the self adjusting shocks. The QA1 springs are looking pretty good right now.
The Fox progressive springs are great so long as you don't increase the preload too much. The upper part of the spring binds, yes, but it doesn't negatively impact spring performance. The gain is in lighter rebound rates for a smoother ride, and it helps reduce body roll in cornering, too.

To achieve desired ride height, you may want to increase the preload, depending on how much weight you normally ride with. Increasing the preload reduces the installed spring length. If you increase the preload to the point that the spring is less than about 12.8 inches, the whole spring can bind under a heavy hit. That is how shock mounts break. Jack up the rear and measure how long the spring is with shock uncompressed. Less than 13" is pushing is IMHO. I posted the details on this here: New Fox shocks on, but . . . - The Honda Side by Side Club!

If you are normally carrying a couple hundred or more pounds in the rear you can consider another spring, which means a linear rate spring unless you can find a custom spring maker out there. I went with 325# Eibachs, but would probably go with 300 or 275# if I did it again. The Fox QS3's work great for me at their pricepoint for rocky terrain and the occasional fly down smoother forest roads.

Reactions: TxDoc
Roborlilw

Roborlilw

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Tucson,Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I took your advice and measured the springs with the wheels off the ground. They were 12.75. I backed the preload off. They are at 13 inches now.
Thanks AZRocks.

Reactions: AZRocks
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You need 3" I.D. (inner diameter) for the rears, 2.5" I.D. is for the front QS3's.
You can run 2.5" ID in the rear if you get rid of the plastic junk.

Reactions: TripleB
longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought Eibachs for the rear: 14" @325#. They only came in silver and cost $215 delivered total. I've seen some forum members find red shocks for $75 each, but don't know where. I use my machine the same as you, by the sound of it. I am 100% satisfied and good with the decision to install Fox QS3s all around. I'd recommend 300# or no more that 325# spring rate. I had talked to Fox sales, and got handed off to an engineer to answer my questions, and the engineer concurred with my need for the increased spring rate. I used a wall mounted spring compressor at an auto hobby shop that I have access to, but I'd guess most powersports shops could do it for a reasonable fee.

You can use a “loaner” coil over spring compressor tool from most major auto parts stores. It cost me $60 deposit but got it all back when I returned the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TripleB
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can use a “loaner” coil over spring compressor tool from most major auto parts stores. It cost me $60 deposit but got it all back when I returned the tool.

I have a couple different spring compressor tools in my kit, but neither worked due to the tight coils and space between spring and shock body. I used a wall mounted spring compressor in an auto hobby shop. Took 15 minutes total. For most folks, I'd suggest talking to your local powersports shop to do the swap.

longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The coil compression tool Auto Zone has was perfect size for the stock shocks.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Following for future research.

R

rickoshea

does anyone know if the Elka 3's need to be mounted backwards on the rears like the Fox's?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!