P500 LandofCheese's Big Cheese Build

LandofCheese

LandofCheese

Apr 11, 2022
Wisconsin
I am finally picking up my P520 today at noon. I have a pile of parts to install from the wait so I thought I would start a build thread. It wont be anything too different than what else is on this forum, seeing as I have gotten all the mod ideas from this forum, but still thought I would document it. Have always had/have ATV's... This will be my First REAL SXS. I have a PUG 624 articulating unit but that really doesn't count.

I want to take it out over labor day weekend. I plan on getting the shocks and tires on before then. Quick question for anyone who has installed the Super ATV skid plates/Power steering... I was wondering about an average install time on either of those 2 items? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but nothing ever goes as fast as it should and was wondering if I should wait until after the ride this weekend to tackle them or do them now while it is still fresh and clean? I will likely also have enough miles on to change all the fluids from break in as well.

Pics to follow.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am finally picking up my P520 today at noon. I have a pile of parts to install from the wait so I thought I would start a build thread. It wont be anything too different than what else is on this forum, seeing as I have gotten all the mod ideas from this forum, but still thought I would document it. Have always had/have ATV's... This will be my First REAL SXS. I have a PUG 624 articulating unit but that really doesn't count.

I want to take it out over labor day weekend. I plan on getting the shocks and tires on before then. Quick question for anyone who has installed the Super ATV skid plates/Power steering... I was wondering about an average install time on either of those 2 items? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but nothing ever goes as fast as it should and was wondering if I should wait until after the ride this weekend to tackle them or do them now while it is still fresh and clean? I will likely also have enough miles on to change all the fluids from break in as well.

Pics to follow.
I would go ride and be careful, If I had it to do over I wouldn't use the self tapping crews on the skid plate, that's on my up grade list, I forget what the fasteners are called. Be safe!

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Red was the 1st color all other colors followed Honda hopes they sell. & they DO ( 2022 P520 Grey with Red Hood )
Many Good people on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES.
What COLOR is your NEW TOY.

Now for your question :

Skid I Would Do CLEAN:
"easy" 1 to 2 hours depending on tools /equipment ( jacks & stands ) along with your skills.
Be sure to use antiseezs compound on All skid bolts before you put them back.

EPS : Could wait on this one.
Keep the pressuer OFF of having to Finish so you can ride this weekend.
BE Careful on the mods during the 1st.break & service .
If you not happy or have questions.Do Not want to give the Dealer any wiggle room.

FYI
Go without <>then you will realize what a Great purchases you made
EPS <>Not Difficult Figuer 3 to 5 hours if never done before.
Several posts on how to <> already on the forum ( do a search )

ENJOY the TOY

LandofCheese

LandofCheese

Apr 11, 2022
Wisconsin
This site is bad for my wallet, BUT it has kept be sane for the past 5 months, and has really helped me stay pumped for the sxs! I plan to just do a few things this week, just enjoy the ride and go from there I think. I got the 520 with a roof, front bumper, and bed rails from the dealer that I can install tonight or tomorrow... also have a KFI rear bumper to install as well.

Question, aren't these units suppose to come with red reflectors on the box and amber up front???

20220830 120200
20220830 120047
20220830 121926
20220830 124033

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This site is bad for my wallet, BUT it has kept be sane for the past 5 months, and has really helped me stay pumped for the sxs! I plan to just do a few things this week, just enjoy the ride and go from there I think. I got the 520 with a roof, front bumper, and bed rails from the dealer that I can install tonight or tomorrow... also have a KFI rear bumper to install as well.

Question, aren't these units suppose to come with red reflectors on the box and amber up front???

View attachment 351446View attachment 351447View attachment 351448View attachment 351449
NICE and Welcome!

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Not sure about the speed ( Red was the 1st. Color )

No on the reflectors.

It would be a easy add on.

Although I did it the Hard Way added marker lights that come on with headlights.
Added Blue Refledtive Tape on the sides ot the box.

20220830 172825 20220830 172750

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
No reflectors on mine when new.

if you are planning to do the skid plate, do yourself a favor and do anything that requires you to run wires from the front to rear such as a winch, power steering and aux lights. The skid plate comes in four different pieces and basically you would have to drop at least the two middle sections to help run the wires for any of the accessories.

The power steering was probably less than two hours of work and so is the skid plate as long as you can literally get under the machine to work on it. I took it to a place where I could get under it because it was on a lift and that made a huge difference in how fast it went on. Instructions say to lay the vehicle on its side to put the skid plate on.

as for the most difficult parts of your two items you want to put on, the larger middle section of the skid plate is likely the most difficult piece of the entire puzzle. On the P5 20, you have to remove the protective skid plates that are already under the floorboard of the passenger compartment. It doesn’t say that anywhere in the instructions. The rest of it is fairly straightforward. I didn’t mind using the self tapping screws that somebody mentioned before.

my two pieces of advice for the power steering; first you have to run the bolts that secure the steering linkage all the way out so you can get the steering linkage to come apart. I don’t remember seeing that in the instructions and it literally baffled me for 15 minutes until I remove the first screw completely. The wiring is not that big of a problem as long as you have the accessory wiring harness from Honda. Having the skid plate off will help you run the power wire to the back of the machine for the power steering. For somebody really mechanically inclined I would say these two projects could be done in less than four hours .

Rob

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I think the reflectors are on the Canadian model only.

And welcome. Let us know if you need help spending your money.

LandofCheese

LandofCheese

Apr 11, 2022
Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for your helpful reply's! @crewcabrob I definitely have winch, lights and other electrical plans and are just waiting for a few things to come in for that so agreed it makes sense to wait on the skid plate and power steering.

As for the reflectors I think its a Canada thing? I know it sounds crazy but I was honestly hoping the unit would have them.... I can't seem to find them separately either, I will likely have to do what @pappyo did.

Last night I got the KFI rear bumper, Honda front bumper, bed rails and frame plugs on.

Tonight I hope to get the glove box, triggger shield, and maybe shocks/tires on... I'm unsure if I want to put on the Honda hard roof and Super atv half windshield on before I trailer it up to the cabin or not.

20220830 191504
20220830 174925

20220830 191504 20220830 174925

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Glad to help!

I would say put the top and half windshield on. Having a top and wind deflector on made a huge difference at speed. If you are only going to go 20mph or less, than just add the top for sun/rain protection. My wife rode for 4 days in the Colorado mountains near Leadville in stock form. We had fun, but the accessories make a huge difference. Something as simple as not having your sunglasses blown off or having a little sun protection will add to your enjoyment.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
If you haven't ordered the trigger shield yet, you may want to. After you find out the heat, dust and noise gets a little old on longer rides, you will thank Trigger for getting an off the shelf solution made.

LandofCheese

LandofCheese

Apr 11, 2022
Wisconsin
Welcome from west central fl. It sounds like Christmas has come early this year 🤣.
Technically the 520 I ordered isn't even on the list of arrivals to come yet, the dealership had someone back out when this one arrived and they offered it to me. I'm happy to have it. I'm hoping this will get the wife out more to enjoy the cabin/nature more regularly. she seems to like it and thinks its "cute" 🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!