P500 lawn safe tires?

P

pnwajc

Jul 19, 2020
Redmond
Ownership

1. 500
I sometimes drive my P5 around my lawn and no matter how carefully I drive, I frequently find a chunk of lawn being ripped.
I suppose this is mainly caused by the rear tires. Are the stock tires not meant for the lawn at all? Should I get a different set of tires instead?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I sometimes drive my P5 around my lawn and no matter how carefully I drive, I frequently find a chunk of lawn being ripped.
I suppose this is mainly caused by the rear tires. Are the stock tires not meant for the lawn at all? Should I get a different set of tires instead?
It's your locked rear end causing that. You would probably have to have slicks to keep from tearing up any grass.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Wonder what happened with a member’s project on the unlocking rear hub?

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Turf mode is as magical as everyone says it is. I've had some pretty agressive tires on and turf mode saves the grass.

Without it, you would almost have to go with a lawn mower tire, and it would probably still rip it up a little. When the wife asks why it is torn up, just tell her you are aerating. :p

advertisement
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do most of my yardwork with my Brute Force with 27" swamplites, so i know about torn up lawn.

Reactions: Smitty335
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500

I saw a guy selling a P5 on a local garage sale site that came with "turf" tires. They were golf cart tires mounted stock rims. Although I never saw it on the lawn in operation the guy said it worked quite well. I thought about it for just the rear however golf cart tires in that size aren't cheap I did just acquire an extra set of stock rims but haven't made a decision about it yet. Just a thought that might be worth looking into for yourself.

Reactions: TripleB and toddvdh
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Well, look at it this way... few months of doing lawn work, and it'll be so tore up you wont have to bother with it any more 😁

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I saw a guy selling a P5 on a local garage sale site that came with "turf" tires. They were golf cart tires mounted stock rims. Although I never saw it on the lawn in operation the guy said it worked quite well. I thought about it for just the rear however golf cart tires in that size aren't cheap I did just acquire an extra set of stock rims but haven't made a decision about it yet. Just a thought that might be worth looking into for yourself.
Why didn't the guy buy a golf cart to start with?

Reactions: Morpheus
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The turf mode was one of the main selling points when we upgraded from our 700 to 1000. We live in a small town and use our rig to run around town. It was very tuff to turn on pavement in the 700 and like you always tore up our lawn. Turf mode is exactly what we needed.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wonder what happened with a member’s project on the unlocking rear hub?

He did it, it worked...and in his own words it was downright dangerous. Lots of torque in too small of a machine for turf mode. If you hit the throttle it would lurch in one direction and when you let off under throttle it would lurch in the other. Said it was too scary to market it, was worried if some kid or unseasoned driver got a hold of it they could be seriously hurt. Even took it off of his own machine. Last time I talked to him he was looking to sell the idea, prototype and everything he had invested, if someone wanted to pursue it.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Why didn't the guy buy a golf cart to start with?

I should have asked. I know he used it for trails and plowing as well as around the yard. Maybe he had the golf cart tires to put on during the summer when he was using it on his lawn. I just thought it was a good solution for this fella if he wanted to try it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!