P1000 Learning to love my Honda

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Cover
Hello all, first Honda SxS and first post here. I've owned and loved Rhinos since late 2003 and bought a new one every two years after (still have four; large family) and they have always served me very well. After many years of riding them I thought I wanted something more so I purchased a RZR. It was a blast to ride but since I couldn't keep it out of the shop I sold it and went back to riding my solid, dependable Rhinos that have always brought me back to the truck at the end of the day. I liked some things about my brother's Ranger but it felt like I was driving a school bus and once pierced an oil reservoir backing it off the trailer (literally!...ramp failure caused Ranger to land on a rock that hit the unprotected reservoir over the rear tire) so I quickly lost interest in the Ranger platform after that. In 2014 I once again wanted to try something new and purchased a Teryx4 800. The Teryx is a rock solid machine and mechanically superior to the Rhino in every conceivable way, yet I found myself continuing to choose the Rhino when I went trail riding and so my daughter ended up claiming the Teryx for herself.

A couple months ago my brother and I were riding around considering a new SxS for him. We looked hard at the Yamaha Viking but even though it's built off the Rhino platform it just lost the "feel" that I'd grown to love and neither of us were particularly interested in it. We stopped by the Kawasaki dealership so that he could check out the Teryx and Mule Pro and before buying he decided to take a look at the Honda dealership. I never considered the Honda line because they didn't have front lockers and where we ride if you don't have a front locker you spend more time out of your machine pulling a winch cable than you do riding. When I learned that Honda added a front locker to the new Pioneer 1000 I had to take one for a test ride myself.

Test
The dealership invited me to test it fully and test it I did. I was thoroughly impressed that the only way I could stick it (at least in what they had to offer for a test track) was to high center it on a pile of dirt. The stability and agility of this machine truly impressed me, especially considering its size and weight. I've been riding Rhinos long enough to know that had I taken my Rhino on that same trail I would likely have rolled it over more than once (although I'm confident the Teryx would have been just fine). Although I wasn't in the market for a new machine at the time, the Pioneer sold itself and with that test drive I decided that I wanted one but I wanted one in black so I put down a deposit and waited a month or so while the dealership ordered it for me.

Ptt
I picked up my machine about a month ago or so but it's been too cold to ride it and I've only been able to put 8 miles on it so far and much of that was dealership test drive where I had to return it to the dealership so they could clock the steering wheel.

I'm really looking forward to getting this machine on the trails and while I'm waiting on stable warm weather (currently 38 degrees) I want to get a few modifications out of the way. The trails we ride are through forest covered mountains and it's not unusual for me to be 60+ miles away from where I left my truck (what's the range like on a full tank?). Due to the dense population of grizzly bears (around the Blackfeet Reservation), hiking back because the machine broke down really isn't a good option no matter what provisions you bring.

Obviously the first and most important modification is a winch. I plan to order the 4,500# Warn from Honda but it comes with a steel cable and I prefer pulling synthetic. Any idea if Honda makes this option available or are you left with re-spooling if buying through Honda?

I'd also like to add a half windshield. The half-windshields on my Rhinos and Teryx make all the difference in the world and I prefer them greatly to a full windshield that always seems to get dirty just as the ride gets good. The Honda OEM half windshield seems really low, certainly lower than what I'm used to. Is it at least effective or would I be better served by looking into one sold by Super ATV? Is there a better option? Does the half windshield tend to work with or against adding a roof (in regards to dust)?

I have a large dog bed that I put in the bed of my SxSs so that my dogs can join me for the ride. The rear netting on the Pioneer works out nicely and I'm wondering if there is a similar net available for above the tailgate. I've got a six month old German Shepherd that still gets a little too excited when he sees wildlife and the net in the rear would give me one less thing to worry about.

Montana allows ATVs/SxSs to be licensed for riding on the road and my experience has been that the Bighorns just don't wear well at all on pavement. Being limited to my own experience, this could be due to the way the tires lean inward on the Teryx or it could be just that that Bighorns don't wear well on pavement. I run the radial Mudlite XTR on my Rhino but even that tire doesn't in my opinion wear well on the pavement. I like the OEM 14" wheels on my Pioneer and would like to find a light truck tire of comparable size with aggressive off road tread that will stand up to highway use. Recommendations appreciated.

I'd also like to find a Bluetooth amplified speaker bar made specifically for the Pioneer. I don't really need a radio because when I'm trail riding I don't listen to music anyway and when I'm riding on the road I'd like to be able to stream radio onto my mobile phone and Bluetooth connect it to an amplified speaker bar if one exists?

CB communications are another issue I hope to resolve. Is there one that you can actually hear when you're riding without going to a headset?

Over the years I've really grown to love a CVT transmission (Yamaha, Arctic Cat and Kawasaki especially; not enough experience with Can Am CVT and I absolutely loathe the Polaris CVT system). Had Honda offered a CVT option in the Pioneer I would have certainly chosen it but they don't. The transmission in the Pioneer is the only thing about this machine that I don't like, but I don't yet know if that's because it's inferior in some way to the CVT or if it's because I'm just used to the CVT and I won't know for sure until I get this machine out on the trail to find out what its really all about. I do look forward to testing its full capabilities very soon and finding out what it's really all about.

Thanks,

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the family. The only question from above that I feel qualified to answer is referring to the Honda windshield. I have one and I have to agree. It is too short for my liking. I will buy another one before next hunting season.

I really liked your write-up. Thanks for taking the time to formulate your experience.

MTotten

MTotten

May 6, 2016
Marshfield Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 14976
Hello all, first Honda SxS and first post here. I've owned and loved Rhinos since late 2003 and bought a new one every two years after (still have four; large family) and they have always served me very well. After many years of riding them I thought I wanted something more so I purchased a RZR. It was a blast to ride but since I couldn't keep it out of the shop I sold it and went back to riding my solid, dependable Rhinos that have always brought me back to the truck at the end of the day. I liked some things about my brother's Ranger but it felt like I was driving a school bus and once pierced an oil reservoir backing it off the trailer (literally!...ramp failure caused Ranger to land on a rock that hit the unprotected reservoir over the rear tire) so I quickly lost interest in the Ranger platform after that. In 2014 I once again wanted to try something new and purchased a Teryx4 800. The Teryx is a rock solid machine and mechanically superior to the Rhino in every conceivable way, yet I found myself continuing to choose the Rhino when I went trail riding and so my daughter ended up claiming the Teryx for herself.

A couple months ago my brother and I were riding around considering a new SxS for him. We looked hard at the Yamaha Viking but even though it's built off the Rhino platform it just lost the "feel" that I'd grown to love and neither of us were particularly interested in it. We stopped by the Kawasaki dealership so that he could check out the Teryx and Mule Pro and before buying he decided to take a look at the Honda dealership. I never considered the Honda line because they didn't have front lockers and where we ride if you don't have a front locker you spend more time out of your machine pulling a winch cable than you do riding. When I learned that Honda added a front locker to the new Pioneer 1000 I had to take one for a test ride myself.

View attachment 14977
The dealership invited me to test it fully and test it I did. I was thoroughly impressed that the only way I could stick it (at least in what they had to offer for a test track) was to high center it on a pile of dirt. The stability and agility of this machine truly impressed me, especially considering its size and weight. I've been riding Rhinos long enough to know that had I taken my Rhino on that same trail I would likely have rolled it over more than once (although I'm confident the Teryx would have been just fine). Although I wasn't in the market for a new machine at the time, the Pioneer sold itself and with that test drive I decided that I wanted one but I wanted one in black so I put down a deposit and waited a month or so while the dealership ordered it for me.

View attachment 14978
I picked up my machine about a month ago or so but it's been too cold to ride it and I've only been able to put 8 miles on it so far and much of that was dealership test drive where I had to return it to the dealership so they could clock the steering wheel.

I'm really looking forward to getting this machine on the trails and while I'm waiting on stable warm weather (currently 38 degrees) I want to get a few modifications out of the way. The trails we ride are through forest covered mountains and it's not unusual for me to be 60+ miles away from where I left my truck (what's the range like on a full tank?). Due to the dense population of grizzly bears (around the Blackfeet Reservation), hiking back because the machine broke down really isn't a good option no matter what provisions you bring.

Obviously the first and most important modification is a winch. I plan to order the 4,500# Warn from Honda but it comes with a steel cable and I prefer pulling synthetic. Any idea if Honda makes this option available or are you left with re-spooling if buying through Honda?

I'd also like to add a half windshield. The half-windshields on my Rhinos and Teryx make all the difference in the world and I prefer them greatly to a full windshield that always seems to get dirty just as the ride gets good. The Honda OEM half windshield seems really low, certainly lower than what I'm used to. Is it at least effective or would I be better served by looking into one sold by Super ATV? Is there a better option? Does the half windshield tend to work with or against adding a roof (in regards to dust)?

I have a large dog bed that I put in the bed of my SxSs so that my dogs can join me for the ride. The rear netting on the Pioneer works out nicely and I'm wondering if there is a similar net available for above the tailgate. I've got a six month old German Shepherd that still gets a little too excited when he sees wildlife and the net in the rear would give me one less thing to worry about.

Montana allows ATVs/SxSs to be licensed for riding on the road and my experience has been that the Bighorns just don't wear well at all on pavement. Being limited to my own experience, this could be due to the way the tires lean inward on the Teryx or it could be just that that Bighorns don't wear well on pavement. I run the radial Mudlite XTR on my Rhino but even that tire doesn't in my opinion wear well on the pavement. I like the OEM 14" wheels on my Pioneer and would like to find a light truck tire of comparable size with aggressive off road tread that will stand up to highway use. Recommendations appreciated.

I'd also like to find a Bluetooth amplified speaker bar made specifically for the Pioneer. I don't really need a radio because when I'm trail riding I don't listen to music anyway and when I'm riding on the road I'd like to be able to stream radio onto my mobile phone and Bluetooth connect it to an amplified speaker bar if one exists?

CB communications are another issue I hope to resolve. Is there one that you can actually hear when you're riding without going to a headset?

Over the years I've really grown to love a CVT transmission (Yamaha, Arctic Cat and Kawasaki especially; not enough experience with Can Am CVT and I absolutely loathe the Polaris CVT system). Had Honda offered a CVT option in the Pioneer I would have certainly chosen it but they don't. The transmission in the Pioneer is the only thing about this machine that I don't like, but I don't yet know if that's because it's inferior in some way to the CVT or if it's because I'm just used to the CVT and I won't know for sure until I get this machine out on the trail to find out what its really all about. I do look forward to testing its full capabilities very soon and finding out what it's really all about.

Thanks,
Though the windshield seems low, it blocks as much as the taller windshield on our old Rhino and Can Am Commander! Easy to install too.

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Expect around 18mpg - 20 if pretty easy depending on rider obviously but sounds about right from what I gather because of some road usage at same time. I'm 6ft 1 And for the factory partial I need to duck just a little bit. Honda makes a back zip down window but no net. Suppose you could use a utv bed net cover. Tired from what I've seen you would be best to bump up to 15 as better opportunity of tires from being on here a bit, I'm wanting to do the same thing. For its size it's very very sure footed and stable. If it gets weird stab it. If you're use to the cvt and very obviously you are it could go either way. For me and most it's all love. I came from the "other none jap rigs" and hated the belt problems but Yamaha is better so...however it's so nice to pick a gear and as cool as the paddles are you pretty much use them for mud snow plowing sort of thing. The Honda is very very good at being in the right gear and if need more aggression sport is awesome. For just cruising especially it's very quiet and you get use to the shifting. I wouldn't go back most wouldn't but there are a couple. No belt "bang" is nice(and will help drive train live longer) you can easy it or damn near jump the nose. Awesome for technical stuff however sometimes the power comes in a little strong. Engine braking is incredible in this rig. And even in auto you can still use paddles within reason. I'm a fan I'm sure you can tell. We have had around a 4K total payload and it doesn't wince!
Very nice write up can't say you're not a qualified Yamaha guy and that is my second choice but there really isn't a third for me anymore. Very curious to hear from you down the road.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run tensor regulators. They are a truck style tire that's 8ply and steel belted. Great on the road and anywhere I've come across. Also I run a wetsounds 6 soundbar that's bluetooth, and works great.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome I was needing to know as well. Thank you

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@MontanaBighorn, welcome to HondaSXS.com. That's a great review and I look forward to hearing more as you put several hundred miles on it.

You have mentioned the desire to make some mods or add some accessories, check out the Pioneer 1000 "builds" section and you should find some inspiration for ideas.

Here are several that come to mind that you should check out.

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

P1000m5 - Traveller II

P1000 - Cummins pusher's ride

P1000 - AMC's Camo 1000-5

These are just several of the nice rigs on this forum. There are many more and the great thing about them is that they are all different and will give you different ideas. For example, @Delton and @BIGRACK have made some nice mods for extra storage like racks hanging off the back and front racks over the hood. There are also different versions of spare tire carriers out there. Anything you can think of, we probably got an example and if we don't, please show us how it's done!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Last edited:
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @MontanaBighorn !!

advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the Honda 1/2 Windshield and it was worthless for anyone over 6 foot tall, maybe less. I have the tinted Super ATV now and I am happier with it it, but it could still be taller as I am 6'3, but it does help the wind-to-the-face factor. However, I have mine set up as a 3 seater (removed rear cage section because I will rarely haul more than 3 people) with the 3 seat roof and dust in the cab is awful. I am going to try it with the soft rear-panel soon and hopefully that will help, as I need the half-windshield on cool mornings during hunting season, but don't need the full windshield because its never really that cold around here.

I too prefer synthetic rope over the steel cable, so I put the Warn Pro-Vantage 4500-S on mine. Expensive, but I know it'll work when I need it. Also used EMP's winch mount which works well. At first it didn't, but they redesigned it accordingly and sent me the updated mount free of charge without even returning the original, great customer service. It eliminates the steep cable angle associated with the KFI/Honda mounts.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@MontanaBighorn Welcome to the club!

There are dozens of options for Bluetooth speaker the one I am running in my P500 works great and gets plenty loud. MTX 6 Speaker Universal Sound Bar | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

For a CB there is one with a VERY loud forward facing speaker that will do the trick it is a COBRA 18WX-ST II, I use it in my F450 and am sure it would do fine in a P1000 best of all it is pretty compact and has all NOAA weather channels: 18 WX ST II

Rear netting, you could source some netting that matches the OEM through here: Custom Netting - Knotless Nylon Netting Otherwise the soft rear panel would be another way to go.

regarding the DCT vs. CVT the Honda DCT is far more advanced than the CVT system, with time you will learn to appreciate the built in engine braking and versatility of being able to go into manual mode when you so desire.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome. Chances are good that I know a few of you already by different names. I started the very first SxS forum back in 2003 after getting (and falling in love with) my first Rhino (UtilityOffRoad.com, now offline) but after finding other professional successes I just didn't have time to dedicate to the forum and eventually let it go. Over the course of the ten years or so that the forum was active I had formed good professional relationships with most OEMs and I was given many opportunities to contribute my input on several SxSs that are currently in production. I've tested many prototypes (some got watered down and made it into production, most never did) and I like to think that I helped to make some already good designs a little bit better. Ironically my experience in the industry makes me value the Honda Pioneer 1000 even more than I otherwise would. I think "I've seen it all" and for the Honda to impress me enough to buy one when I wasn't looking for a machine at all it really speaks for how impressive the overall package really is. Now if only Montana would let go of the cold weather so I can get out and really get to know my machine and determine if this is the one that will finally win me over from my '13 Rhino and (short of minor improvements) its essentially thirteen year old technology that remains rock solid today (unless you're looking for more speed).

It is too short for my liking. I will buy another one before next hunting season.
How tall are you?

Though the windshield seems low, it blocks as much as the taller windshield on our old Rhino and Can Am Commander! Easy to install too.
That's exactly what I was looking for; thanks. If it works as good as the OEM Rhino windshield works then I will be happy with that.

The Honda is very very good at being in the right gear and if need more aggression sport is awesome. For just cruising especially it's very quiet and you get use to the shifting.
Thanks for so much useful information! There are many times in the past when I've started up a hill only to think better of it mid way through. With the CVT the adjustment is continual so I was never worried about being in the wrong gear. If the Honda is able to keep me "in the right gear" as well then I'm sure I'll get used to it and hopefully grow to love it. I only ever experienced the belt slap with the Polaris and believe its because unlike everybody else, the Polaris belt goes limp at idle so when it does grab it's more sudden.

I run tensor regulators. They are a truck style tire that's 8ply and steel belted. Great on the road and anywhere I've come across. Also I run a wetsounds 6 soundbar that's bluetooth, and works great.
That's one I haven't heard of but will look it up; thanks!

Mine came stock with 14" wheels; I think it's a part of the Deluxe Package?

check out the Pioneer 1000 "builds" section and you should find some inspiration for ideas.
Thanks much for those many links and recommendations. I can see this is going to be fun! :)

I too prefer synthetic rope over the steel cable, so I put the Warn Pro-Vantage 4500-S on mine. Expensive, but I know it'll work when I need it. Also used EMP's winch mount which works well. At first it didn't, but they redesigned it accordingly and sent me the updated mount free of charge without even returning the original, great customer service. It eliminates the steep cable angle associated with the KFI/Honda mounts.
I'm glad I read your post before ordering the Honda Work Package for my Pioneer; thanks much! I was unaware of the steep cable angle issue. Is this something Honda is addressing?

Rear netting, you could source some netting that matches the OEM through here: Custom Netting - Knotless Nylon Netting Otherwise the soft rear panel would be another way to go.
Thanks much for this and your other recommendations! I'm honestly quite surprised that a rear net doesn't already exist.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We're all here for the same reasons! You'll love it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You were talking about stopping starting on hills. Way easier with DCT. You can start off so smooth so you don't lose traction or jump on it and wheel stand. A day of riding technical stuff and your use to it. You can even hold it smoothly on a hill with the gas pedal. It really is nice. No "surprises"

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
You were talking about stopping starting on hills. Way easier with DCT. You can start off so smooth so you don't lose traction or jump on it and wheel stand. A day of riding technical stuff and your use to it. You can even hold it smoothly on a hill with the gas pedal. It really is nice. No "surprises"
If it works out like that I'll be absolutely thrilled with this machine; I've no other criticism at this time and even that isn't a criticism so much as that it's just something different that I'm not yet used to. I've got parts on order and hope to enjoy the time wrenching while waiting on the snow pack to disappear from the mountains.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If it works out like that I'll be absolutely thrilled with this machine; I've no other criticism at this time and even that isn't a criticism so much as that it's just something different that I'm not yet used to. I've got parts on order and hope to enjoy the time wrenching while waiting on the snow pack to disappear from the mountains.
I have had belts for years and literally by the end of the first weekend I was already more comfortable and trusting in my 700. This 1000 is a whole different animal even yet. I can see where it's not for everyone but it is very good. It's definitely not a gimmick like some think. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!