P1000 Cummins Pusher's Ride

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Well I've drastically upped the ante. This time I wanted everything just right,but most of all I wanted nothing to interfere with adding or taking off any and all accessories, everything needed to be separated with a plug so something as easy as taking a bumper off doesn't require cutting and splicing, several factory Honda car harness plugs were used,all lights stereo equipment must be able stay on through the removal of roof windows doors ect,adding anything doesn't effect anything at all, everything clearly marked is user friendly and lites up, nothing effects anything from the ultra dependable Honda base unit, is fully reliable and totally waterproof,NO VISIBLE WIRES to snag on make windshield or roof remove ability bad or look like crap, double fused and dedicated relays easy to reach and labeled, no inefficient pod lighting to snag branches or effect future accessories,even spread 360 degree lighting to guide the way at the right time and automated so anyone can use with no problems with dead battery or complications (lots of people come up with us and I'm not stingy)and above all no clutter dependable and fun that works as if Honda designed. No easy task. Hasn't really been done before from anything I've ever seen. We didn't just throw a light on with dangling wires to a switch on a nearly 20k vehicle. Absolutely nothing overlooked and no obstacle that wasn't eliminated. All mounting hardware was either built or replaced with stainless steel,including all bolts, aluminum,powdercoated. Everything is soldered,heat shrinked,water mud and dust proofed,separate colored wires(34 total and diagramed) loomed,placed out of any danger,extra mounts created, ect ect ect...you can shake this rig from anything added without possible movement. Any hole has grommets and very well secured from both sides. Since I made harnesses multiple wires were eliminated and a large common ground was made off second battery so each unit doesn't have its own that will fail and be impossible to find. I didn't purchase something because someone else said it works or it was cheap or easy. Lots of research over the last 3 months.We bought multiple units of lighting and ran wires all around and tested the 1000 multiple times camping (real world) with multiple people through all kinds of crap till it was right then stated over made complete harnesses bought the right lights and hid as much as possible including running harnesses through the roll cage. It's now done. A total of 12 separate interior light fixtures totaling over 70watts and 27 separate outside fixtures totaling over 1500watts, 13speakers totaling 700watts,onboard compressor, 110v inverter,multiple USB ports direct to the stereo with charging specifically for iPhones(1 each occupant) 4 separate adjustable zones for the speaker system and lightning(everyone treated equally) backup camera automatically turns on as well as side lights and rear lights when in reverse(also shows front low view basically at front tires in the technical areas) interior lighting,floor light,and outside entry light all come on in its own dedicated corner with its own door, the switch lighting comes on with driver front door. Redundant systems that can shut off certain high drain accessories in sequence of importance until power returns back to the second battery(which is totally separate from main)Lots of work! NOTHING SKIMPED!! Well here's how...easiest to start front work back...
Lights
---Center front upper bumper,
168w 5d optic Osram 12in 60deg/30deg provides center penetration low. Come on automatically in high beam also with separate switch,very bright easiest to install highly recommend!
---bumper upper corners x2, 50w 7in Phillips single row 60deg provides great center/side view and are tucked very close and just behind the bumper so no damage occurs wires run through bumper and unplug
---bumper lower corner x2, 15w Cree led cob stripes,multiple color white/amber 6in. These function as daytime running lights and are white while key is on. If main power switch is on (I'll explain later) They are amber. Also flash amber as a turn signal and are tucked very tight with 1/4 in lexan cover for brush.
---lower bumper cladding x2, 24w Osram 5d 60deg for extreme side view, will light up from front to the tire nothing escapes this perfect positioned light that's totally recessed and out of the way say goodbye to those pods next to the windshield.
---lower windshield, 700w Osram 50in 20deg/60deg double. This is the curved bar to fit the front perfectly, be as tight and low as possible, providing both maximum straight penetration as well as awesome side light(again no pods) and totally out of the way. It is mounted via 1/4 in stainless custom mounts to the roll cage with an additional hidden center support for a very solid mount. No wobbly windshield mount here. You can take the windshield totally out or install a 1/2 unit when it's hot and it's so low it's never in the way even w/o window. This is a high drain unit and is third in line to automatically shut off if 2nd battery power dips below 11.7v
---inner fender lights x8,2 9w 12deg Cree rock lights per corner automatically turn on in 4wd or separate switch and really light up undersides for extremely rough terrain. They also double as part of the party lights(I'll explain later) with multiple colors.
---lower side lights x4, 2 each side Cree 15w 120deg are mounted in between the doors and lower rear step these are great at giving you light right up to the very sides are highly recommended cheap and easy. Separate switched but will also come on automatically
in reverse and 4wd.
---Upper roof side mount x2, Cree multiple color 36w 120deg. These are the only lights that require unplugged if accessory roof is removed. They come on as with side lights, and are part of the party lights.
---rear mount whips x2,55w 4ft Gorilla lights (best from all we've seen very tough) very bright multiple color separate switch also part of the party lights. View attachment 12566
---rear mount backup lights x4, Cree 15w 120deg. These are mounted to lower and side roll cage for maximum lighting. The work very well with backup camera(if you look close you can see me taking pictures in the monitor in the rear view pic) don't blind people riding behind you,light up sides extremely well and flat ass look cool. Works well while loading and turns on automatically when tailgate is lowered, in reverse, or rear camera switch is activated. (We had a single 72w Cree prior and it was always too much or not enough and was always in the way or covered by the rear window. These are always uncovered and great.
---door lights, 5watt Cree Honda logo lights up a Honda logo on each door that's opened. More cool then anything but does avoid puddles in the dark.
---under dash/rear box lights x4, 1 in each corner lights up entry per door and come on automatically also with interior light switch.
---speaker bar outer lights x4, 5watt cree cob strips. Each side comes on with each door opened and also switch.
---speaker bar inner lights x4, 3watt Cree are independent of each other and are designed as personal lights. They are mounted directly over head and provide instant light for anyone.
---switch lighting x14, each switch has instructional light that comes on with headlights or at dark with driver door opened.
---interior lighting comes on with any door or tailgate open
---party lighting turns on whips,side lights,and rock lights. It has a remote can be any color,flash, sequence and also has music mode which will "dance" to the music throughput those systems. This is also 2nd in line to turn off automatically if 2nd battery drops below 11.8v. Image Image Image

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Stereo
---infinity prv-351, Bluetooth,satellite radio,am/fm tuner big lcd screen. This deck works well with iPhone is totally waterproof even pressure washer. It's super easy to use Bluetooth capabilities are the best easy to connect to works at 70ft lots of power has separate bass controls (for what comes next) separate controls for each corner of the rig and doesn't require an iPod to work (it's nice for anyone that hops in) and we have 100's of satellite stations great for the outdoors. We put a 4-way splitter on the input so anyone in any seat can hook in directly,charge their phone or simply Bluetooth in. We've had lots of decks outdoor recreationally over 12years and countless builds its the best. Never fogged screen or glitches!
---jeep overhead sound bar, x2. 1 front and 1 rear. 3 separated speakers each side for at total of 12. I replaced all with marine infinities and installed passive crossovers to only allow mid/treble. They deck ran(yes plenty of power very clear because it's all infinity not cheap speaks. You can turn up/down corners so everyone is independent because it's directly overhead with 3speaks per rider. They are waterproof like everything else easy to mount,look great, sound even better and are roll bar mounted so you take off the roof panel. A little harder to install then those easy add power only overhead units but well worth it!! Especially for the same money done.
---bass/amp, fiberglass waterproof box(custom designed for the 700 we had took a bit of trimming and glasswork to install). Used heavy custom mounting so no rattles very solid. Infinity marine 12in sub with power coming from a marine Rockford Fosgate 500watt amp mounted inside where it stays dry. This 1000 has very clear sound due to not having cheap speakers, nice to have front/rear/side/side sounds so much better (imagine a good surround sound as opposed to sound from the tv) and hits hard, very hard. It is very tight,crisp and being in an open air vehicle it makes teenagers with Hondas look twice. It's our number 1 on the automatically controlled power off that turns itself off if power of battery 2 drops below 11.9 and works to control the "dancing " lights throughout on party mode.
Electronics
Everything starts at the dedicated deep cycle battery (that I suggested specific for this months ago). The power goes through an actual circuit breaker can even shut off everything all at once if problem (wont be in this one) or adding something to it or storage. It goes from there to two battery shut off switches everything not Honda is connected to these. One is connected to lower power items and is allowed by both ignition and all power on. The other is for higher power item including the warn pro4500,Osram 700watt led,pair of 50 led bumper, center bar,and 1000watt power inverter. The "all power on" (apo)switch lights up bright red and allows you to run things with the key off without fear of dead battery. When apo is on the running lights are Amber so we are aware it's on(if key is on is white) and has a audible low power warning at 12v if not running and will shut everything off at 11.5. Everything is relayed,fused,labeled,diagramed,harnessed,protected,easy to get at under hood,ran through the roll cage and not cluttered. It all has common ground so no future problems and doesn't use factory grounds. We have already most of the power we need I have a friend I do lots of work for and traded a little out for a rewrapped stator I'm figuring about 1050 it's putting out now while moving however I've sent one into ricks for a custom replacement I'm trying for 1400 that will do all I need. Let's just say the factory system needed drastic improvement but I won't stop till its done and done right. Unfortunately the only thing I can't build is a custom alternator. It's a huge system.

---to get wires through the cage you'd think it weakens it...not the case here! I drilled holes ran thin plastic tube through so the wiring goes through great and can be added to or redone if needed. After tubes were ran I came back drilled 1/4 holes every 8in and filled with high density expanding foam. The bars are totally filled with this. It makes them massively stronger (think of empty beer can or full) and keeps the tubes tight and gets the strength back. I then cut the foam and 2-parted small black plugs into the holes. No rattles,short circuits, ugly wires, expandable, very tight. When you take off windshield you don't have those stupid wires ready for problems!

Turn signals are great in this rig. I use my new front daytime running lights for the front, it turns to amber (2-way led cob) and bought a 3-wire to 2-wire unit(designed for cars with amber turn signals for trailer wiring) and use the factory taillights they now flash while signaling so I don't have to use the cheap ugly drill a hole for the add on units. It looks trick less wiring and is way more obvious (rather then a dim light under your taillight) very cool.

Backup camera, come on everyone it's a must! It's $36 on eBay comes with a monitor. It takes a bit of work to attach the monitor but a factory clamp and a little work makes it worth it. You can see with a full load or people in it. I got the idea when my then 8yo daughter backed up into an inexperienced kid on a dirtbike. No one was hurt but you can't see well especially if something is low or rear window is in. It makes sense!! It comes with a night camera that doesn't need light however not a problem on this rig! I have it in a marked 3-way switch (front/off/rear) when off its off unless in reverse,reverse is always on with back and side lights, front camera (mounted low invisible under front bumper) shows up terrain directly under the bumper (which is great with rock lights on) and is great for traversing wide deep ruts that are usually jagged. One of the cheapest best upgrades you just need to think outside the box but I think I've proven that I do I'm not a rich follower that pays others to do my projects I'll find a way to do what I want and do it right even through criticism.

What's Next???
---lighted shift and 4wd indicators that are sealed
---sealed doors, floor and cab... No more water entering
---electronic door pops w/button inside and out so its easy to get in and out new people hate it. Just use aftermarket door lock actuators, one per door
simple I already have power going into the doors
---fox shocks ya ya I know I've gotten a lot of hell for it but they are better.
---set of removable manual sunroofs with glass replaced with tinted acrylic (for weight purposes
---custom fiberglass removable under hood tool tray (for friends with Polaris and Can-am)
---custom swing out rear spare tire mount
---beefed up control arms
--- mud flaps, ya I know they make them but mine won't be ripped of in between trees
---power bed lift. Already have the linear actuator picked out and most of my design figured out. Mine will be one touch up/down with button on dash and one the bed. I just need to figure the one touch setup so if something jambs against something it'll stop
---rear mount winch, looks rough though not much room
---auto wash! I'm not good at cleaning it gets washed maybe 5 times a year and we go 20-30 weekends, it's not good. If someone has something on this help! Ya ya I know too much.
Feel free to comment, question or add personal thoughts. If someone is interested in anything here I'll show how it's done easiest cheapest and to what ever level needed. Thanks for reading---Cumminspusher.

Last edited:
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
wow!! thats funny outside the box!!! amazing job!! Ill have to read over this several more times to get it!! amazing!! maybe u can help me with a simple detail I have been looking for a light bar to mount right above the fairlead like u did!! u mentioned it was 168w 5d optic Osram 14 in but when I look it up it is a side mount and looks like yours is a bottom mount I very much want to put a light bar there could u tell me exactly witch one to get and how u mounted it? once again amazing!!!

Reactions: cruddy0815
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
wow!! thats funny outside the box!!! amazing job!! Ill have to read over this several more times to get it!! amazing!! maybe u can help me with a simple detail I have been looking for a light bar to mount right above the fairlead like u did!! u mentioned it was 168w 5d optic Osram 14 in but when I look it up it is a side mount and looks like yours is a bottom mount I very much want to put a light bar there could u tell me exactly witch one to get and how u mounted it? once again amazing!!!
Well I apologize I wrote 14" I'll edit it's actually 12 but still 168watt. Here's the link. This is an incredible light bar and goes in really well! You will have to take off the bumper to install and adjust but really not a big deal it's 6 bolts all of which easy to get at. The lower lip that you mount to has to be bent down a little till it's flat then goes in like clockwork. The mounts on these are very solid great light. I'd suggest using a plug on this light so you could take bumper or light off if needed I simply used CB power connector like 5bucks. Again sorry for the mix up there were a lot of lights I tried and looked at. Thank you so much

Reactions: cruddy0815
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
View attachment 12600
Well I apologize I wrote 14" I'll edit it's actually 12 but still 168watt. Here's the link. This is an incredible light bar and goes in really well! You will have to take off the bumper to install and adjust but really not a big deal it's 6 bolts all of which easy to get at. The lower lip that you mount to has to be bent down a little till it's flat then goes in like clockwork. The mounts on these are very solid great light. I'd suggest using a plug on this light so you could take bumper or light off if needed I simply used CB power connector like 5bucks. Again sorry for the mix up there were a lot of lights I tried and looked at. Thank you so much
I knew it had to be 12" and knew something would have to be bent on the bumper but sounds good to me glad u did it no I can finally get the big brown truck on the way!!! Thanks again.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I knew it had to be 12" and knew something would have to be bent on the bumper but sounds good to me glad u did it no I can finally get the big brown truck on the way!!! Thanks again.
No problem sorry for the confusion. Great light you'll like it! Osram has such good lighting but it took the new reflector before the pattern was good because it was too focused for off road prior. We use this light continuously and you might as well turn led headlights off they won't help much anymore

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
No problem sorry for the confusion. Great light you'll like it! Osram has such good lighting but it took the new reflector before the pattern was good because it was too focused for off road prior. We use this light continuously and you might as well turn led headlights off they won't help much anymore
I was getting ready to mount my my voltage gauges to the right of steering wheel and thought that maybe the light off of them might bother me at night time then saw your pics how do u feel about that?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was getting ready to mount my my voltage gauges to the right of steering wheel and thought that maybe the light off of them might bother me at night time then saw your pics how do u feel about that?
What we did is run the lights on the switches to factory lights and honestly you don't need to run them with accessory lighting and the stereo and volt guage has a light dimmer however the interior haven't seemed to bother us much. Depending on what type of quaff you use it may have separate illumination however the brighter it is on the outside. I did try to keep most of the light in the center

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher what is your opinion of the noise level inside your fully enclosed cab? Have you done any sound dampening? Does it need sound dampening?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher what is your opinion of the noise level inside your fully enclosed cab? Have you done any sound dampening? Does it need sound dampening?
Funny you say something because we've talked a lot about that this winter since we've enclosed it. Lower speeds it's incredible and higher revs it's definitely better then the Polaris however it could stand stand to be quieter. I've thought of multiple options including floor mat which maybe helped some, thought about undercoating however that would trap to much debris to the underside.the best option I'm sure is to keep the sound from reflecting down from the roof. In cars we've always used Duramat but it gets covered you don't want to go with anything that'll hold moisture,to have a bed liner spayed in is too much weight that high in the vehicle. I'm thinking best bet would simply be a nice scuff and prep and a couple quick coats of SEM rattle can chip guard might drop down octaves just a bit. We did notice a little reduction since the foam added to the roll cage and hinged areas inside of the doors.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Funny you say something because we've talked a lot about that this winter since we've enclosed it. Lower speeds it's incredible and higher revs it's definitely better then the Polaris however it could stand stand to be quieter. I've thought of multiple options including floor mat which maybe helped some, thought about undercoating however that would trap to much debris to the underside.the best option I'm sure is to keep the sound from reflecting down from the roof. In cars we've always used Duramat but it gets covered you don't want to go with anything that'll hold moisture,to have a bed liner spayed in is too much weight that high in the vehicle. I'm thinking best bet would simply be a nice scuff and prep and a couple quick coats of SEM rattle can chip guard might drop down octaves just a bit. We did notice a little reduction since the foam added to the roll cage and hinged areas inside of the doors.

My 500 was loud enough to need ear plugs at first. I cut up a thick rubber floor mat to put behind and under the seat. Now it's tolerable but still difficult to communicate at higher rpms.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My 500 was loud enough to need ear plugs at first. I cut up a thick rubber floor mat to put behind and under the seat. Now it's tolerable but still difficult to communicate at higher rpms.
The 1000 is nowhere near that loud. Anything under about 40 you can talk at a fairly acceptable rate way better than the 700, above about 35gets louder for under hard acceleration obviously. There are times that we will cruise around 50 or so for a long periods of time and it would be nice to quieted down a little bit for that

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The 1000 is nowhere near that loud. Anything under about 40 you can talk at a fairly acceptable rate way better than the 700, above about 35gets louder for under hard acceleration obviously. There are times that we will cruise around 50 or so for a long periods of time and it would be nice to quieted down a little bit for that

This is with doors and everything?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is with doors and everything?
Yes.high r's it's bad but Its considerably quieter the the 700. If you open the window just a little or the middle widow(which is a lot because we have lots of people with us and we're the party) it gets better.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I wonder if full skid plate makes it louder?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wonder if full skid plate makes it louder?
Oh I am guessing that would make a big difference That might be a good thing to bring in and have bedliner sprayed on it

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Oh I am guessing that would make a big difference That might be a good thing to bring in and have bedliner sprayed on it
I was looking for that cb power connector u said u used for your front center light bar I want something waterproof that carries 10 aww wire figure 168 watts thats like 14 amps