LED Lightbars and Bugs?

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
So I didn't make this connection when installing it but without a windshield we ended getting a lot of bugs in the face. It might have been because my wife was driving and not going fast enough, anybody else have this problem? Bugs not the wife driving lol

Reactions: Stacy
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Light bar IS right at face level, I see now why Honda put theirs on the roof(I followed their suggestion)

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
True but Honda also suggested I spend 4 times as much on their light bar and that no one wants more than 700cc of power.....sometimes I doubt their logic lol

I do a lot of trail riding and plastic tops get broken by tree limbs a lot so I wanted to protect the light bar some.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I am seeing the limbs but the top is fine it's thick and flexible, I just have to beware of the light bar. I didn't buy their bar I mean it is a nice solid part, but I'm not paying that much when Amazon has something a lot cheaper(even if I'm wary of the build quality every time I wash the thing)

One of the other guys mounted it on the hood in front of his windshield, which I like the look of, but now that you point out the bug issue I am wary of putting it there without a windshield.

More available power is generally a good thing in my mind, if I had my way there would be the 300+ HP 3.7 liter engine out of the Acura TL or a Goldwing Flat 6 motor in there, but we both know that's not going to happen from the factory. The 3.7 is just too big to shoehorn after the fact, and the Goldwing F6 is too much of a litigation risk.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
When I decide to get a bigger bar, it will be mounted in the same location of Cloud's. I know bugs are attracted to light. I just don't think that is a real factor when riding. I think the bugs are already there and you just run through them.... Roof, under roof, bumper... Still going to get hit with them.
Currently I have a 20 inch on my front bumper. Be nice to have a 40 or 50 inch.

Reactions: sxs2015
H

hydrantman

I installed my on the front bumper using a couple of bar clamps works great for me.

Attachments

• image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 981
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I push too many briars and brush with the bumper, I'd rip it off there

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I saw the one posted on the hood but thought I would get better distance mounting it higher. The light bar is only 20 inches but I had it made with spot light lenses in the middle and floods on the outside to get the maximum coverage. I saw this screen thing that would be easy to make plus still let plenty of air in when it's over 100 degrees outside but would have to take it on and off and not sure about durability. http://bugbusterwindscreen.com

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
From my college level google science class bugs are attracted to light for two reasons, heat and color. LEDs put off much less heat and shouldn't attract bugs so it must be the color (looks like the moon) Bugs can't see red light at all and not much of yellow so I started thinking how cool a red led light bar on my red pioneer would look so I bought some red vinyl type headlight tint from Amazon for $11 but haven't been able to test the bug theory because Missouri's weather is bipolar and every night this week has been in the 30's
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4D ... UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 953
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dude.. I love the red tint. That's Kool. shoot us a pic looking at the sxs. Love to see. Thanks.

advertisement
Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Still not able to get a good idea if it helped with the bugs, but it does look cool; different than everybody else lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 518
Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Here's what it looks like turned on in the daylight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 535
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That's a great example. Look how much a light bar puts out. Wow.. And that's not even a big one.

P

pioneerlynn

May 17, 2014
Thanks For The Vid Example. I Never Really Owned Light Bar. I Had No Clue They Put Out That Much Light. This Will Have To Be One Of The First Mods.

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
It's actually working pretty good, when I turn the headlights on I get bugs in my face, turn them off with just the light bar and they're gone. I'll try and get some comparison pics up tomorrow

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
They claim led lights don't attact bugs because they don't emmit uv light but there are other reports that they still attract some because of blue light also attracts bugs. The newer type led light bars are pretty much white light at 6000k color temp so I guess we will figure it out soon bugs will be bad here for the next couple of weeks.

Did you notice any difference with the red tape on verses no tape?