sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m having to transition to shooting left handed and will begin with turkey hunting. I am going to buy a semiauto 20 gauge.

I’d like your all’s experience in shooting left handed with a right handed vs left handed firearm.

R

rickoshea

i'm right handed but shoot left due to left eye dominance.i didn't find it too difficult to transition,especially handguns.keep in mind a good quality shotgun usually has a cast in the stock for left/right hand shooters.it's a royal pain to find the perfect left hand gun.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i'm right handed but shoot left due to left eye dominance.i didn't find it too difficult to transition,especially handguns.keep in mind a good quality shotgun usually has a cast in the stock for left/right hand shooters.it's a royal pain to find the perfect left hand gun.

The cast is my concern. Since I’m going to do it, do it right to make sure everything is right.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I’m having to transition to shooting left handed and will begin with turkey hunting. I am going to buy a semiauto 20 gauge.

I’d like your all’s experience in shooting left handed with a right handed vs left handed firearm.

why?

im left eye dominant but right handed. I own nothing but right handed firearms.

I was taught by my dad this way, cause that’s all we had for firearms. He was former military too. I remember him saying there aren’t left handed firearms in the military ( I have no idea if true) in his time.

R

rickoshea

all mine are right handed.it was a pain when my sks is firing hot shells past my nose and on to my arm.thank god for shell deflectors.all my bolts are rights.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
why?

I'm left eye dominant but right-handed. I own nothing but right-handed firearms.

I was taught by my dad this way, cause that’s all we had for firearms. He was former military too. I remember him saying there aren’t left-handed firearms in the military ( I have no idea if true) in his time.

It really doesn’t matter why, but I’ll tell you. My vision is blurry right in the middle so I cannot focus on objects and crosshairs are wavy.

Last edited:
Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lot of shotguns come with shims that fit in the stock for right or left hand cast. Another option is find one with a neutral cast. I don't notice the shells with my right hand eject auto loader. Most of my bolt guns are left handed the draw back is they are harder to find and tend to be more expensive.

J

JTW

Really doesn’t matter why, but I’ll tell you. My vision is burry right in the middle so I cannot focus on objects and cross hairs are wavy.
They told ya... you’d shoot yer eye out!

but in all seriousness that sucks... I don’t shoot wrong handed so I’m of no help here.

Diverguy

Diverguy

Oct 8, 2018
PA, USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm also right handed, but left eye dominant. I mostly shoot left handed, but I can do either, which come in handy. I have a Remington 700 LH that I normally use for big game. I shoot my AR right handed to avoid getting hit in the face with hot brass. My shotguns are pump action, so I can shoot them either hand.

Reactions: sugarray
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Really doesn’t matter why, but I’ll tell you. My vision is burry right in the middle so I cannot focus on objects and cross hairs are wavy.

that sucks, but you can still use your right handed gun in your left shoulder. Very very common place.

left arm is the trigger finger and right arm runs the bolt.

if you have a shot gun like a browning bps the shells eject to the bottom.

Sometimes with the ejection on the right side the shells can hit your shoulder on semi autos but I don’t ever notice it.

advertisement
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
brother is left handed but always used right handed pump shotgun. on pump your out the way with your right arm when ejecting basically.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I am 100% left handed with no left handed guns, I have just learned to deal with it but over the years I have to know exactly where the brass or shells extract, most gun extract straight out but some extract out and back and it sucks to be hit in the side of the face with a hot extraction. Just something to be aware of.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am left handed to do anything, yet when I shoot I shoot primarily right handed.
Fortunately I am able to shoot left handed just not as well.
As has been stated, it is a bit worrisome to shoot a right handed semiautomatic or bolt gun left handed but it can be done.
I prefer lever guns so no issues for the most part.
Goodluck and keep us updated.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Being left handed and shooting a right handed bolt makes you a better shot, you are basically shooting a single shot having to bring the gun down to cycle the bold and with one shot you have to make it count.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikes79
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I'm all messed up. Right eye dominate, but left-handed. Shot handguns left-handed, but when standing I shoot shotguns & rifles right-handed. But shoot off the bench left-handed. In the last 10 years I've had to switch to right-handed on handguns due to tennis elbow. If you are left-handed a right-handed rifle is much better when shooting off a bench. Never had a left-handed gun and really haven't had any issues.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am right-handed, left eye dominant. There are actually more folks with this paradox than you might expect. I have shot right-handed long guns my entire life (bows also). I've only owned two left-handed guns: 1) an early 70's vintage Remington 1100, and 2) a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. I still have the Remington, but sold the Winchester several years ago. Honestly, after having shot right-handed guns from my left shoulder my whole life, it felt odd cycling the bolt with my left hand (go figure). Bottom line: Unless I found a can't-pass-it-up deal on a left-handed rifle/shotgun, I wouldn't think twice about accepting a right-hand.

I shoot a pistol right-handed, but cock my head over to the right so as to place my left eye in line with the sights. I know, weird. But, the moral to the story is we all find a way to accommodate the tools we have. For the record, I can't recall ever having an incident whereby the right-hand ejection of a spent casing/shell caused me any distraction whatsoever - and that includes thousands of rounds through semi-auto shotguns and rifles. And, regarding cycling a bolt action with my right hand? It's just not an issue. I remove my hand from the forearm supporting position, maintain approximate sight position by holding the stock firmly on the pistol grip with my left hand, cycle the action and then return to the forestock support position. It's really not a thing (at least for me). I suppose there might be some rifles that are so front-heavy that it might prove difficult to do this, but I've never run across one yet.

Steve

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I am right-handed, left eye dominant. There are actually more folks with this paradox than you might expect. I have shot right-handed long guns my entire life (bows also). I've only owned two left-handed guns: 1) an early 70's vintage Remington 1100, and 2) a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. I still have the Remington, but sold the Winchester several years ago. Honestly, after having shot right-handed guns from my left shoulder my whole life, it felt odd cycling the bolt with my left hand (go figure). Bottom line: Unless I found a can't-pass-it-up deal on a left-handed rifle/shotgun, I wouldn't think twice about accepting a right-hand.

I shoot a pistol right-handed, but cock my head over to the right so as to place my left eye in line with the sights. I know, weird. But, the moral to the story is we all find a way to accommodate the tools we have. For the record, I can't recall ever having an incident whereby the right-hand ejection of a spent casing/shell caused me any distraction whatsoever - and that includes thousands of rounds through semi-auto shotguns and rifles. And, regarding cycling a bolt action with my right hand? It's just not an issue. I remove my hand from the forearm supporting position, maintain approximate sight position by holding the stock firmly on the pistol grip with my left hand, cycle the action and then return to the forestock support position. It's really not a thing (at least for me). I suppose there might be some rifles that are so front-heavy that it might prove difficult to do this, but I've never run across one yet.

Steve

Well said.

I never lose sight picture either.

Like you I have to adjust for pistol. No biggie.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I should mention that when I decided to buy a nice OU shotgun (Beretta Silver Pigeon Grade II) I spent a substantial amount of money to get the stock fitted to me, which included a substantial correction to the cast-off (designed to accommodate the majority of right-hand shooters), converting it to cast-on for my left shoulder/sight alignment. I have also shimmed my Benelli Montefeltro to cast-on configuration. Otherwise, I haven't bothered with the cast of any of my other guns.

Steve

Reactions: JTW
R

rickoshea

lever guns also negate the awkward bolt cycling issue.i like my 30-30 marlin.some people dump on them but mine has served me well so far.it.s a $500 rifle and i treat it that way. i don't hunt big game.i have a sporterised .303 but rarely use it,and surprisingly can find several rounds in different grains right up to 180.every hunter in canada has owned a #1 mkIII at one time or another.

Last edited:
Reactions: stellarpod
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!