BOX1

P500 Let’s talk about P5 jacks

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I’m mounting a spare tire on my P5, which is useless without a jack. What do you have? Can a small scissor jack and a block of wood underneath suffice to lift a corner? I don’t think I need a 48”” lift jack as sold for a Jeep. Or do I?

What have you guys learned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I can see how that would work for a front tire...what about the rear.?
As small as the P5 is, you should have no trouble pulling up one whole side Ive done it before easily. Just have to be insane in the membrane! Lol in other words, use your imagination ;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m mounting a spare tire on my P5, which is useless without a jack. What do you have? Can a small scissor jack and a block of wood underneath suffice to lift a corner? I don’t think I need a 48”” lift jack as sold for a Jeep. Or do I?

What have you guys learned?

I have great 8 ply tires, run at the proper psi, don't do any over landing long travel and I have neither a jack or spare, just plugs.

Reactions: Mudder and Peter_72
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I have a repair kit onboard now.

My wife is going for rides with me now, and I don’t want the “what do you mean you don’t have a spare and we’re 5 miles from nowhere?”.

Plus I bought a set of takeoffs with rims and have spares with tread.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I was on a ride in a friend’s Razr and we had a sidewall ripped open by a jagged rock in the trail. We’re doing anything crazy, just riding down a trail. Couple inch gash, no way to patch and reinflate. He drove out on his aluminum rim, made a mess of it.

Stuff happens.

Reactions: Mudder
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Trips and usage varies so requirements varies. I would add to this discussion that although I have used Green Slime it''s not always completely effective. Best to have a patch kit handy. I have used tubes in foreign countries. I like Bottle Jacks and air compressors and don't forget an E-tool.

s/f Steve

Reactions: Mudder
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Harbor freight has the best two options. Scissor jacks a medium goes up to 15 inches and a trailer leveling jack goes up 24 inches. They pack alot smaller than most other jacks and if you made a jaw that grabbed the lower roll bar you could lift one whole side at a time

Reactions: fallrisk and Mudder
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for ideas. I picked up a small 2k pound bottle jack. I figure if I need more height- I’ll slide a flat rock under it.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I also have a small Honda Civic scissor jack that I plan to carry when we go on longer rides. I'm going the spare tire route along with bead locks and good tires, I hope the spare dry-rots long before I would ever need it. Its my $250 insurance policy.

Rob

S

SORGuy

May 31, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
I carry an auto style scissors jack. I haven't needed it yet but I'm sure it will lift any 2 wheels easily. I carry a used (front) wheel with a used tire. Cost was only $50 for both and I mounted it on the front bumper (no winch) if/when I add a winch I plan to move the spare to the back.

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
I Use a small bottle jack. Have been with three guys here in MT who had sidewall punctures or the beads piped.
I don’t carry the spare with me but always have it at camp or on the trailer. I always have a buddy so we can go back and get it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!