rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Today I went out looking for cargo boxes. I decided to not worry about a back seat for the dog. I hardly ever have a guest and no significant other, so Me Dag will ride up front with me and if there be another human in need of a lift, Me Dag can stay in the camper or at home. In the meantime....I 1st ventured to lowes and bought a kobalt 40" shiny black aluminum tool box for $240 and then in hindsight I thought I should check out tractor supply. They had one that is .5" over on each end of the rack and was shorter in height than the lowes one. Nonetheless, I drove home to see how the cobalt would fit and it was shorter in length than the rack, it was extraordinarily tall and took up most of my rear view even with me being so tall. So without any further thoughts I went back and returned the kobalt for the TSC model which was right at the same price with a 20% fathers day weekend discount. The shorter in height TSC model also had a better seal, two heavier duty locks and SIDE HANDLES, was a heavier grade of aluminum, and was a matte or flat black compared to the kobalt's one weak lock, lighter aluminum and shinyness. I plan on either mounting a thin sheet of plywood or rubber mat between the rack and box and mount the FuelPax 3.5 gal can on the back. I painted it flat green then rubbed it across the bushes for a broken pattern/distressed look. The Red was just too much. I may do it a few more times for a really interesting camouflage layered look.
View attachment 46593 View attachment 46594 View attachment 46595 View attachment 46596

Nice to see another...with
the big black box....
Lookin BadAss

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today, I searched the Tractor Supply website and could not find the same box you bought. Do you have a part number or a link? Thanks in advance. That box looks like exactly what I want.
FullSizeRender 2
FullSizeRender

Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Today, I searched the Tractor Supply website and could not find the same box you bought. Do you have a part number or a link? Thanks in advance. That box looks like exactly what I want.
Each tractor supply..has different
product....

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, today my buddy came over to lend a helping hand and we changed the front and rear differential fluids, mounted the SSS Off Road UMHW Skid Plates, and we attached the black aluminum tool box to the board and rack using (6) 1.5" self tappers. Yes, I know, I drilled into the rack; woe is me. I think it'll be just fine. He also helped me fabricate some angle aluminum to attach the 100 Watt solar panel to the roof of the camper. We used the existing 6mm Yakima Allen wrench SS Hardware. We bolted 3 on each side for horizontal support and used one bolt for each corner. On the sliders, they say to drill, tap and die, but we just used 1" self tappers and washers. We also mounted the 3.5 gallon FuelPax horizontal on the rear of the tool box and then put in two eye bolts for attachment points. I still need to find a tube to clamp the fire extinguisher to. Maybe behind my head.

IMG 0559 IMG 0558 IMG 0560 IMG 0569 IMG 0568 IMG 0567 IMG 0566 IMG 0571 IMG 0557

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So, today my buddy came over to lend a helping hand and we changed the front and rear differential fluids, mounted the SSS Off Road UMHW Skid Plates, and we attached the black aluminum tool box to the board and rack using (6) 1.5" self tappers. Yes, I know, I drilled into the rack; woe is me. I think it'll be just fine. He also helped me fabricate some angle aluminum to attach the 100 Watt solar panel to the roof of the camper. We used the existing 6mm Yakima Allen wrench SS Hardware. We bolted 3 on each side for horizontal support and used one bolt for each corner. On the sliders, they say to drill, tap and die, but we just used 1" self tappers and washers. We also mounted the 3.5 gallon FuelPax horizontal on the rear of the tool box and then put in two eye bolts for attachment points. I still need to find a tube to clamp the fire extinguisher to. Maybe behind my head.

View attachment 47638 View attachment 47639 View attachment 47640 View attachment 47641 View attachment 47642 View attachment 47643 View attachment 47644 View attachment 47645 View attachment 47646

Looking good Gnome! Like that box man.
Keep in mind that it NEVER ends though. I'd like to say that I'm on my final round now but I've said that before. :rolleyes:

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good Gnome! Like that box man.
Keep in mind that it NEVER ends though. I'd like to say that I'm on my final round now but I've said that before. :rolleyes:
I'm at a point where I can chill out for a while. I dropped a few Pennines on it and want to hold back before I get lights a stereo or anything else. I'm thinking she looks good. I got some seat time on her today too. She was up on blocks for 2.5 weeks as I was slowly adding accessories. Seemed to bounce a bit more. Was wondering if it's all the extra weight or that I'm running 10 psi? The noise/ heat barrier I made is amazing for noise reduction!

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm at a point where I can chill out for a while. I dropped a few Pennines on it and want to hold back before I get lights a stereo or anything else. I'm thinking she looks good. I got some seat time on her today too. She was up on blocks for 2.5 weeks as I was slowly adding accessories. Seemed to bounce a bit more. Was wondering if it's all the extra weight or that I'm running 10 psi? The noise/ heat barrier I made is amazing for noise reduction!

After removing the sway bar I cranked my shocks up another notch in the rear, made it less spongey. Easy to do.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After removing the sway bar I cranked my shocks up another notch in the rear, made it less spongey. Easy to do.
Can I crank mine without replacing the shocks? if so, how much and which way?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Can I crank mine without replacing the shocks? if so, how much and which way?

Absolutely. If you look at them you will see a gear looking thing at the top. They make a special wrench for it but I just used a pipe wrench. Turn it to the next notch that raises the shock. Mine is actually up two notches from stock.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!