P1000 License plate mount..

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is probably already posted somewhere but not able to find. I’m wondering where others have located and mounted their license plate holders on pioneer 1000-5.? Thanks

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Welcome from SD!

I just screwed my plate directly to the rear tailgate, centered on the bottom half.

Its never moved in 2 years of abuse and use.

Reactions: Isaiah
R

rickoshea

i didn't even know there was a mounting plate.i just zip tied my plate to the top of my rops and it's been there ever since :D 20190904 133740

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guess I am trying to keep a light over it to make it street legal as I plan to drive around town a bit. Any of you guys get hassled with not having light on it?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Guess I am trying to keep a light over it to make it street legal as I plan to drive around town a bit. Any of you guys get hassled with not having light on it?

I’ve never been bothered one bit.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all. Just hard to find anywhere under the bed in typical location so I ty wrapped mine to the bumper for now...

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

FWIW, I wouldn't personally chance it. It's a valid reason to pull you over just to check you out, if you drink or smoke or whatever that's not legal something so simple can change your world for a few days...be safe do it right.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
FWIW, I wouldn't personally chance it. It's a valid reason to pull you over just to check you out, if you drink or smoke or whatever that's not legal something so simple can change your world for a few days...be safe do it right.

Not that I’m into the whole fear thing, but really where is it stated that a lighted bracket is required. Don’t you think this a stretch?

If what you say was true every single custom or modified motorcycle would be at risk of being pulled over.

Clear and visible is the only requirement I’ve seen mentioned.

To be honest I can’t remember the last time I saw a working lighted plate on any atv, utv, boat trailer, jet ski trailer etc.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that I’m into the whole fear thing, but really where is it stated that a lighted bracket is required. Don’t you think this a stretch?

If what you say was true every single custom or modified motorcycle would be at risk of being pulled over.

Clear and visible is the only requirement I’ve seen mentioned.

To be honest I can’t remember the last time I saw a working lighted plate on any atv, utv, boat trailer, jet ski trailer etc.

With respect that it's not your intent, I'm not going to get into an internet argument. With that said the above is just friendly advice from a former LEO participant.
I can't even began to tell you how many arrests are made as a result of such a minor infraction. In almost all cases the officer will let you move on with a verbal warning in regards to the license plate light, but in my state even the odor of alcohol on your breath is illegal and can/will result in a one year suspension of you drivers license, this is not a DWI it's DUI. Not to mention a ton of other violations as a result of such a stop; seat belt violation, insurance, registration, outstanding warrants (this one is big and happens all the time, a lot of criminals are found this way) Not that any of you here are LOL. One can do whatever at their own risk.

To answer your question specifically from your own state statue:
SDCL 32-17-11 : Either the rear lamps required by § 32-17-8 or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. If the rear registration plate is illuminated by an electric lamp other than the required rear lamps, the lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times whenever headlamps are lighted. A violation of this section is a petty offense...

Best regards :)

advertisement
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to sign this affidavit in order to register my Pioneer and plate it.

1583350167017 1583350222657

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
With respect that it's not your intent, I'm not going to get into an internet argument. With that said the above is just friendly advice from a former LEO participant.
I can't even began to tell you how many arrests are made as a result of such a minor infraction. In almost all cases the officer will let you move on with a verbal warning in regards to the license plate light, but in my state even the odor of alcohol on your breath is illegal and can/will result in a one year suspension of you drivers license, this is not a DWI it's DUI. Not to mention a ton of other violations as a result of such a stop; seat belt violation, insurance, registration, outstanding warrants (this one is big and happens all the time, a lot of criminals are found this way) Not that any of you here are LOL. One can do whatever at their own risk.

To answer your question specifically from your own state statue:
SDCL 32-17-11 : Either the rear lamps required by § 32-17-8 or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. If the rear registration plate is illuminated by an electric lamp other than the required rear lamps, the lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times whenever headlamps are lighted. A violation of this section is a petty offense...

Best regards :)

Don’t want an internet war, but being the expert you are you went and found the codified law in my state (happens to be OPs as well). How do you know I’m not a LEO?

Would you like a gold star for avoiding my question?

I know dam well what the law says never said it didn’t say that.

So how often does it really happen?

Never.

Did I say it was the proper legal way..nope didn’t say that at all.

Just a trip to a MC rally makes my point all day long.

Truth is you can be pulled over for the smallest “thought” of any infraction...bumper loose, headlight aimed wrong etc and it sure as heck won’t be because of a $0.25 light bulb only. I’ve heard a lot of strange excuses for being pulled over from my LEO friends!

I’ll be happy to march a license plate light ticket to the court house. 😂

Maybe I should toss up the DOT rules for tires on the highway while I’m not in the internet war.

OP, my apologies for taking this so far off topic.

Yes you “should” have a lighted license plate. How many actually do so....extremely few.

MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has been zip tied to the back right tube. Been happy, easy to see, cheap.

Uh, I'll add that the ATV/UTV can't be used as an around town vehicle. You have certain road allowance depending on speed and traffic level. Our rec plates are obvious for the vehicle type and so all the lighting etc doesn't apply to us. So uh, listen to someone else this time :)

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents, I think SD is a little more layed back about enforcement because we just don’t see the crime a lot of other places see so it’s a bit easier to get by with things like this. That being said I really want to enjoy this machine with family so I will go by the book. God bless a country where we can afford to purchase and enjoy the machines we have. Peace Brothers.

Sauksxs

Sauksxs

Jul 10, 2019
Washington state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A34A2983 CF6B 427B A22E F8D247A173C7
Pretty easy license plate. Holder with LED attached to the ROP with mounting bracket and ran the wire up to the taillight easy

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted it on muffler shield and installed a clear led light in the bottom of the tailgate. It's one of the cheap Amazon 3/4"rubber grommet style and I wired it in with the taillights. This gives me the clear license plate light required in Ohio.

20190130 120510

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted it on muffler shield and installed a clear led light in the bottom of the tailgate. It's one of the cheap Amazon 3/4"rubber grommet style and I wired it in with the taillights. This gives me the clear license plate light required in Ohio.

View attachment 188193
I'm kind of torn on whether to put a light on mine or not.
No where in the inspection sheet does it mention having a plate light on the form.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The high beam indicator light is the inky item I believe I'm missing to meet car standards. Since they gave me a station wagon body type and registration, I figured I would be as compliant as possible. I was already working on the back at that time and it only took 10 minutes using positaps.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!