P500 License plate

L

larochelbirt

Jun 17, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here in Ohio to ride the public trails we are required to license our UTV’s. If your state requires a license where did you mount it? I have a pioneer 520 and see no factory spot to mount it I tried looking it up in owners manual but didn’t find anything in it. pictures or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
I mounted mine here several months ago, have had no issues .

IMG 7252

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My method. I made a bigger one to accommodate the plate and the 2 stickers for Wayne national forest. Just cut from aluminum sheet. No need for lights in Ohio.

View attachment 288533

"Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate."

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
All states generally follow a standard federal motor vehicle code. It will be a rare state and a rare type of vehicle that is not required to conform to standard lighting requirements.

It's safe to assume that a white lamp is required for a license plate wherever a license plate is required.

Reactions: Montecresto
ivybuck

ivybuck

May 12, 2021
wisconsin/up
Ownership

1. 500
20210923 232238

I had two states to please so I wanted to kill two birds with one stone.
Wisconsin requires a plate (you can make your own to their specs) and a sticker on each front fender. No lights needed.
Michigan doesn't need a plate, but does require two stickers somewhere on the rear of the machine.
I made a longer Wisconsin licence plate out of .040 white aluminum brake metal to fit the two Michigan stickers and used a stock "T or Y" shaped bracket from the shelf at Fleet Farm to hold it. The bottom of the"T or Y" fit perfectly on the upper right bolt from the Moose 2" receiver hitch plate. I think it looks like it belongs there and it met all the criteria to ride trails in both states.

ivybuck

ivybuck

May 12, 2021
wisconsin/up
Ownership

1. 500
20210924 001026
I didn't want to assume anything either, so after reading the requirements, I called the WDNR and was told the lighting was not required. It would be easy to add the light but....
Wisconsin license requirements:
"In addition, all ATVs and UTVs registered as public use will be required to furnish a rear plate that displays the registration number. Plates can be created or purchased. Plate specifications:

• The plate must be a minimum of 4" in height and 7 1/2" wide and made of white material.
  • The registration number must be made of black lettering a minimum of 1 1/2" high with a minimum 3/16" stroke.
  • Only the four registration numbers and two letters need to be on the plate. The registration number can be found on both the decals and the registration card.
  • The owner must maintain the plate so it is in legible condition; and the plate shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle."

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 296733I didn't want to assume anything either, so after reading the requirements, I called the WDNR and was told the lighting was not required. It would be easy to add the light but....
Wisconsin license requirements:
"In addition, all ATVs and UTVs registered as public use will be required to furnish a rear plate that displays the registration number. Plates can be created or purchased. Plate specifications:

• The plate must be a minimum of 4" in height and 7 1/2" wide and made of white material.
  • The registration number must be made of black lettering a minimum of 1 1/2" high with a minimum 3/16" stroke.
  • Only the four registration numbers and two letters need to be on the plate. The registration number can be found on both the decals and the registration card.
  • The owner must maintain the plate so it is in legible condition; and the plate shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle."
wi. here, your set up is correct and done well for the UP."( no lights are required for most posting here)". must be rare for sucky states to require them.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Rare or "sucky?"

A state that authorizes ATV/UTVs to be street legal, inspected, registered, licensed, and driven on public roadways that doees not require a license plate lamp would be rare.

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
All states generally follow a standard federal motor vehicle code. It will be a rare state and a rare type of vehicle that is not required to conform to standard lighting requirements.

It's safe to assume that a white lamp is required for a license plate wherever a license plate is required.
Riding on roads is generally prohibited in Ohio the ORC for vehicles does not apply for trail use (where the ORV plate is needed for State and Natl forests). In order to be allowed on the roads the local jurisdiction must pass an ordinance explicitly allowing it. Each township, town, county must all basically agree. I have yet to find anywhere it’s allowed in Ohio.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
New straits I’ll is “ATV friendly “ .
They allow street riding off the end of the Wayne National Forest trails.
The idea is, ride in to town, support the local businesses.
If they are going to let me ride I’m happy to oblige.
No license beyond the state APV plate is needed.
A2EBCB24 F30B 44E4 8239 F67350558321

(Photo from the net - so you know it’s true)

Edit: screw auto correct, read the sign.

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Nice to know New Straitsville Oh is ATV friendly. It’s the first town like that I have heard of in Ohio

Reactions: futzin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!