P500 License plate

E

Elwood65

Jun 13, 2021
Sw ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here in Ohio to ride the public trails we are required to license our UTV’s. If your state requires a license where did you mount it? I have a pioneer 520 and see no factory spot to mount it I tried looking it up in owners manual but didn’t find anything in it. pictures or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Because there is no standard place to mount it, I suggest going to the local police station and get their input on those details. In our area, we can ride on the street as well, but it requires blinkers, horn, etc., and found talking to the local police ahead of time saves pain later.

GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500
Here in Ohio to ride the public trails we are required to license our UTV’s. If your state requires a license where did you mount it? I have a pioneer 520 and see no factory spot to mount it I tried looking it up in owners manual but didn’t find anything in it. pictures or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
See my avatar above.

Reactions: 500oneer
Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
RWOY8015

J

JY77

Dec 18, 2020
Nova scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted mine to the roof on back of course. Can see it just fine

Reactions: Smitty335
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Are you talking a sticker or a plate? Thought you only needed a plate to ride the roads no matter which state you're in?
In Ohio we have to have a state plate that is the size of a standard motorcycle plate.
We also need a sticker to use the National Forest trails.
So, we get to pay twice for a handful of trails.

But, in return the state provides us with a website extolling the evils of riding ATVs and warns us about how dangerous it is.

Last edited:
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I put plate holder behind the passenger's head:

Routed the wire for the light through the frame. This is a Turn Signal Pro kit, BTW.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Probably not legal without a license plate light.
That got me curious, so I checked out our reg's for ATV's in our province (Ontario), and other than headlights and taillights required, all it says is plate must be on rear of vehicle. No mention of a light.

Reactions: dane william
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That got me curious, so I checked out our reg's for ATV's in our province (Ontario), and other than headlights and taillights required, all it says is plate must be on rear of vehicle. No mention of a light.
Canada is usually quite serious about traffic/motor vehicle laws. A plate light is mandatory whenever the plate is displayed in the US. Perhaps it is overlooked in the legislation in ON or understood because the requirement is stated in other motor vehicle rules?

Reactions: Montecresto
Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Canada is usually quite serious about traffic/motor vehicle laws. A plate light is mandatory whenever the plate is displayed in the US. Perhaps it is overlooked in the legislation in ON or understood because the requirement is stated in other motor vehicle rules?
I’m going to ask some folks in our ATV club and see if I can find out, I’m sure others here would like to know.

Reactions: Smitty335
E

Elwood65

Jun 13, 2021
Sw ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In Ohio we have to have a state plate that is the size of a standard motorcycle plate.

But, in return the state provides us with a website extolling the evils of riding ATVs and warns us about how dangerous it

But, in return the state provides us with a website extolling the evils of riding ATVs and warns us about how dangerous it is.
I got my plate at the BMV where do you get this sticker you are referring to?

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in Ohio too and have a plate I mounted to the tailgate on my 1000-5 with automotive push in inserts that I drilled the proper size hole for. I used 4 for extra security.

Reactions: HillClimberTN
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m going to ask some folks in our ATV club and see if I can find out, I’m sure others here would like to know.
May as well install it in a lit plate frame, it can’t hurt, definitely gives night visibility to the plate and only costs about $10.00 more, and some of them have a third brake light too…😎👍
D3A56BF7 102E 487B B7B4 C2D717979EFF

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Wouldn't it be better to call and ask your provincial police? OPP, I think.

Always best to go to the folks who enforce the law if you want facts. If you want rumors and opinions ask your club members.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Elwood65 the plate is for riding on state land, Pike or Perry state forest (there are two others I can’t remember).
The sticker is for Wayne National Forest.

By the rules of National Forests you have to comply with the state laws as well as the NF rules.
So in some states you don’t need to pay twice.

Reactions: HillClimberTN
J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
My method. I made a bigger one to accommodate the plate and the 2 stickers for Wayne national forest. Just cut from aluminum sheet. No need for lights in Ohio.

0351475A DF2F 4051 80B9 1B2113A8D96E

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Also required in Montana. I bought an led illuminated license plate holder at the Honda dealer and put it on the right rear fender.

It turns out since it’s at an angle, it also illuminated rearward as well the license. It provides a little additional rear lighting when backing up, and I think more visibility than the brane light for a car behind me in the dark.

I rarely ride on paved roads, but there’s a mile ride in before sunrise or after sunset from where I park truck/ trailer to the road up the the national forest.

I spliced into the brake light wire +12 always on, and ran the wires through a piece of black 1/4” irrigation tubing to protect it above the tire.

Works for me.

F6be6ab2a5de7c459eecce9bf578c105

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!