Talon Line X the Talon plastic

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is definitely a difference in brands.

I suspect the dealer is doing it more for marketing and curb appeal than anything. Few of them ever leave the concrete jungle and are easy to keep looking nice.

If I had a jeep I was beating around the backwoods with I would line x the quarter panels. It does prevent some scratches and gouges.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

These are colored too. Black ANYTHING is a nightmare to keep clean. I have a black Vette I keep a quarter inch of liquid glass on and one pass by a field that's being plowed and it needs washed.

Maybe color + gloss keeps them a little cleaner? Again- the Line-X I'm used to seeing in truck beds is flat black. I'm talking about a colored Jeep. Alan's is red right?

Line x custom jeep wrangler jk anvil wild boar fast back hard top side shot

I'm also not one to wax my sxs- we have the good fortune of living on enough land to ride them weekly so they never stay spotless. If you like it so clean you could eat off it Line-X may not be the way to go. If you like the look and the toughness (and can swallow the price), I think it's a cool look. You sure don't see many of them!

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6246384915ecda68044f18fafaae967f

You might try looking into raptor liner, it lays down more like a heavy orange peel, with a semi gloss finish. It is marketed as a bed liner, and I had done a few beds with it. But it doesn’t make a good bedliner, because it is to smooth for the things in your bed to not slide. But it is just as tough as a line-ex. Because it is smooth it washes easy, and will shine back up just like the day you sprayed it. You would have to buy their gun. It sticks well to every thing I’ve used it on. I did my wife’s old 4-runners Crome numbers with it over 10 years ago. Just sold that rig this last spring and it still looked good

P.s. the plastics may be cheaper, but only if they are available. I’ve been waiting on my right rear fender on my x since mid July. They are not available yet

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
These are colored too. Black ANYTHING is a nightmare to keep clean. I have a black Vette I keep a quarter inch of liquid glass on and one pass by a field that's being plowed and it needs washed.

Maybe color + gloss keeps them a little cleaner? Again- the Line-X I'm used to seeing in truck beds is flat black. I'm talking about a colored Jeep. Alan's is red right?

View attachment 153032
I'm also not one to wax my sxs- we have the good fortune of living on enough land to ride them weekly so they never stay spotless. If you like it so clean you could eat off it Line-X may not be the way to go. If you like the look and the toughness (and can swallow the price), I think it's a cool look. You sure don't see many of them!

WOW! that is pretty damn cool. I was picturing the regular flat black across the bottom or something of the sort. Any color definitely hides dirt better than black. I've not seen a jeep in 100% line-x....or whatever brand he's using. If I win the lottery I may just have to pay that dealer a visit.

Reactions: dnjones161
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
No personal experience but I have seen this done on several jeeps and I think it looks amazing... When done right.

You can tell when someone has a vehicle pulled apart and takes it to a Line-X dealer vs tries to "rattle-can" it at home.

It would appear that there are different formulations of Line-X- perhaps some are more "rubbery" than others? We have a Mopar dealer that has probably 15 jeeps that are lifted and Line-X-ed on the lot at any given time. If it was that terrible to clean I can't believe a new car dealer would continue to do that to $70k Wrangler Unlimiteds.

I have seen @Alan photos and I think his Pioneer looks great! It's not cheap to do it right, but if I had unlimited funds id give it a shot.

Unclear to me why a Pioneer vs Talon vs quad would be any different in terms of looks/performance/cleaning?
You are correct @dnjones161 when you add color to the Line-X the price goes up fast and the texture on them is a little smoother than an pickup bed but still really strong.

Reactions: dnjones161
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
No personal experience but I have seen this done on several jeeps and I think it looks amazing... When done right.

You can tell when someone has a vehicle pulled apart and takes it to a Line-X dealer vs tries to "rattle-can" it at home.

It would appear that there are different formulations of Line-X- perhaps some are more "rubbery" than others? We have a Mopar dealer that has probably 15 jeeps that are lifted and Line-X-ed on the lot at any given time. If it was that terrible to clean I can't believe a new car dealer would continue to do that to $70k Wrangler Unlimiteds.

I have seen @Alan photos and I think his Pioneer looks great! It's not cheap to do it right, but if I had unlimited funds id give it a shot.

Unclear to me why a Pioneer vs Talon vs quad would be any different in terms of looks/performance/cleaning?
Here is a picture of the hood, I just power washed it from the trip last week to Lake City. This is almost 5 years old and nothing put power wash it after a trip and it has been through a lot of oak brush and we all know what that can do. I'm not saying it may be for everyone but I am saying that it has worked great for me and I would do it again.

P5 Hood

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a picture of the hood, I just power washed it from the trip last week to Lake City. This is almost 5 years old and nothing put power wash it after a trip and it has been through a lot of oak brush and we all know what that can do. I'm not saying it may be for everyone but I am saying that it has worked great for me and I would do it again.

View attachment 153247

And even the black here looks great/ hasn't faded.

Which illustrates the point that there are MANY different Line-X coatings- it's not just your dad's bedliner anymore.

Cheap- no
Durable- yes
Looks cool- I think so but that's all personal preference

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
And even the black here looks great/ hasn't faded.

Which illustrates the point that there are MANY different Line-X coatings- it's not just your dad's bedliner anymore.

Cheap- no
Durable- yes
Looks cool- I think so but that's all personal preference
If I remember correct the line-X I had done was called Line-X Ultra.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I think the ultra was like 20% more but looked like it was worth it.
It was more in addition, when you add color the price really goes up. If a person could stick to just black it would be much cheaper.

Reactions: 500oneer
advertisement
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
It's gonna look crappy after some use. More crappy than just the plastics after some use. But it will look neat for a while. Be better off doing a wrap IMO. If you had a P500, I'd say go ahead since the plastics are pretty cheap to replace if you don't like it. The Talon has nice painted stuff though. But do what you like. Easy enough to imagine how it will perform based on how it works in a truck bed.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My buddy wrapped his with good 3m 1080 series wrap and it lasted about three rides before it was ripped/scratched and looking like crap. Probably be fine if stay out of woods though

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My buddy wrapped his with good 3m 1080 series wrap and it lasted about three rides before it was ripped/scratched and looking like crap. Probably be fine if stay out of woods though
I wrapped a quad and it didn't last

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be looking into the Line-X for my panels. So far he has wrapped and painted his panels with neither having good lasting results for how we ride in woods and in mud. I would like my panels done red like the 500 up there if it cleans off fine with pressure washer

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: Eltobgi
cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I initially started this thread because I will use my Talon as a utility to a point even though it's technically not designed for that. The line x will keep me from destroying the plastics in the "bed" area when I bring firewood from the wood shed to the house and when I haul my chainsaws or equipment back there. I'm sure someone will say that I should have bought a Pioneer, but I didn't and that's because I wanted the Talon for the trails and recreation side more than the work side. I'm also adding one of the bolt on receiver hitches to tow my small landscape wagon around the property when I need to. I'm smart enough to not overload the machine and use common sense, so the light work that it will get will be miniscule. I appreciate the replies! Looks like I'll be getting it done before winter

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I initially started this thread because I will use my Talon as a utility to a point even though it's technically not designed for that. The line x will keep me from destroying the plastics in the "bed" area when I bring firewood from the wood shed to the house and when I haul my chainsaws or equipment back there. I'm sure someone will say that I should have bought a Pioneer, but I didn't and that's because I wanted the Talon for the trails and recreation side more than the work side. I'm also adding one of the bolt on receiver hitches to tow my small landscape wagon around the property when I need to. I'm smart enough to not overload the machine and use common sense, so the light work that it will get will be miniscule. I appreciate the replies! Looks like I'll be getting it done before winter
I can understand that. Some days I need more sport and some days more utility. Let us know how it goes and post pictures!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I used some White T-Rex Bed Liner 2K Urethane from Amazon. It kinda sucks. Mud doesn't clean up very easy and appears to be stained. I know a couple of people that has used Monstaliner with good results. My buddy did his whole jeep with it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I used some White T-Rex Bed Liner 2K Urethane from Amazon. It kinda sucks. Mud doesn't clean up very easy and appears to be stained. I know a couple of people that has used Monstaliner with good results. My buddy did his whole jeep with it.
I’ve had good results with Raptor Bed liner. Done a few beds and just recently did the toyhauler gate on our box van. Comes with its own gun. It’s not as grippy as LineX or Rhino so might be a good finish for sxs. It’s held up great so far. U Pol is ok too.
It’s hard to get that 3/16 thick spray on that the shops do at home reasonably priced though.

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!